Lazy J40 demo with lots of Dirt Pedals.

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    miserneil said:
    Perhaps you could post some of your clips/videos @robinbowes to demonstrate to James what you mean?
    It's a fair point. I have the capability to record, but: a) I have 5 kids in the house at vary stages of going to bed, doing homework, etc., and b) I'm not as well-endowed i
    n the equipment department as @Gassage ;

The only thing I currently have to offer is this short clip demonstrating the 3 modes of my Vibratone cab: 

I must try harder, I know.
    Without in any way wishing to be provocative - but I hear no more dynamics in that clip than this:

https://m.soundcloud.com/richard-homer/floating-bridge

- which was recorded on an iPhone....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    I have plenty of nice mics, an audio interface, logic and all sort of other toys, but most of my song ideas are on my iphone...
    "song ideas" is one thing. "Hey guys, listen to how several high-end effects sound through a high-end rig" is quite another.
    You're missing my point. I honestly think that it's the difference between doing something and not (for most people anyway) and I'd rather listen to something lo-fi than nothing. 

It reminds me a bit of my father in law. He absolutely must do everything properly - the best it can be - so he never does anything. 
    I'm not missing your point at all.

This isn't a case of "it must be done properly for properly's sake". This is a case of "it must be good enough to serve the original purpose of the video".

The sound on this clip is so bad you can't meaningfully compare the various pedals. Look at the first reply:

Did you turn the last 2 on.....?

Honestly, the compression and AGC is so extreme, it's impossible to hear what the pedals actually sound like.

I'm not just being an arse - I'd love to hear @Gassage 's rig(s) in their full glory, and it's frustrating because it would only take a small step to make them really good, and very useful.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Without in any way wishing to be provocative - but I hear no more dynamics in that clip than this:

https://m.soundcloud.com/richard-homer/floating-bridge

- which was recorded on an iPhone....
    There aren't particularly any dynamics to hear in that clip, no. However, you'll find the stereo imaging is quite nice when the Vibratone is on, which was the aim of the recording.

R.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    robinbowes said:
    There aren't particularly any dynamics to hear in that clip, no. However, you'll find the stereo imaging is quite nice when the Vibratone is on, which was the aim of the recording.

R.
    It may well be - but so what? @Gassage's pedals are distortions - so stereo's irrelevant in the context of those. 

I like high quality sound - but I'm not convinced that a recording like I've just posted prevents someone from getting a pretty good idea of what my set up sounds like.

The most common mic used on guitar cabs is an SM57 - they are not used because they are particularly 'accurate' - they are used because they can take high volumes without damage. Most recorded guitar sounds are heavily compressed during the recording/mixing process - so while I accept there may be better ways of capturing the sound when doing a video, I still think there's enough that can be heard to give the listener a flavour of the differences between different pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    robinbowes said:

R.
    It may well be - but so what? @Gassage's pedals are distortions - so stereo's irrelevant in the context of those. 

I like high quality sound - but I'm not convinced that a recording like I've just posted prevents someone from getting a pretty good idea of what my set up sounds like.

The most common mic used on guitar cabs is an SM57 - they are not used because they are particularly 'accurate' - they are used because they can take high volumes without damage. Most recorded guitar sounds are heavily compressed during the recording/mixing process - so while I accept there may be better ways of capturing the sound when doing a video, I still think there's enough that can be heard to give the listener a flavour of the differences between different pedals.
    Completely agree. It's also the reason why I'm happy to listen to a song on the radio in the car. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robinbowes said:
    I didn't say it was - you asked for one of my clips, so I posted one.
    It probably doesn't, in your case.

In @Gassage 's case, there is clearly so much compression and AGC affecting the sound that it distracts from the demo.

R.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30906
    edited January 2017
    Ok,

Let's make one thing clear.

If I had the money to waste on a sound engineer, I'd rather spend it on a roadie to rack the lines up on the top of my amp, like Keef did....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Gassage said:
    Ok,

If I had the money to waste on a sound engineer, I'd rather spend it on a roadie to rack the lines up on the top of my amp, like Keef did....

Wiz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Gassage said:
    Ok,

The hardest working roadie on the crew...
    An analogy: out of these two paintings, which has the most vibrant colours? 

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    My opinion is that the whole purpose of Robin's posts are to troll Gassage and not much else to be honest...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    My opinion is that the whole purpose of Robin's posts are to troll Gassage and not much else to be honest...
    No, not all.*

I'd just really like to hear what his rig sounds like.

R.

* Well, maybe a bit... :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited January 2017
    Holy cow! Can somebody please delete this thread and start a new one discussing the actual video?!! 

@Gassage As a frequent YouTube viewer and pedal buyer myself, I have gotten quite skilled in listening "through" recordings that are done with camera mics, especially of pedals and amps that are rarely recorded like Cornish and lazy j. If you just listen closely to the dry signal as reference, turning on the pedal gives a pretty good idea of what to expect, even with an iPhone. Of course if it's really ultra ultra crappy it won't be usable, but your recording is FAR from bad. 

Just the fact that there's another video of a j40 online now is a time for celebration. And the j40 with Cornish pedals is a once in a YouTube opportunity so I commend your effort fully!

And for the people who evangelize a mic, it will definitely be a better recording, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Close micing a 57 can give you 100 different results depending on where you placed it. And a close mic'd sound is a whole lot different than a room sound, which is what most of us are used to.

So anyways, to me, the P1 sounded pretty bad ass, the G2 a bit too mid humpy? I think the rackmount RAT sounded a bit like a mixture of those two, and I suspect somewhere between the two settings you demoed. Didnt care for the pedal butler or the way it was dialed in anyways, however the rack butler seemed awesome! I did get the feeling though you were dialing in the 3Q1 and the ST2 to get a bit of those mids out of the lazy j, right? Couldn't you achieve that with the amps Eq? Those mids in the cleans are my love/hate thing with the j20.

Next time though if you could audition the clean sound a bit more, or switch back to clean between each pedal, would refresh the reference sound for an even better comparison ;)

Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 1. G-2 and Rat sounded ace. 
    2. I like the OC-1 but would like to hear the drives without it.
    3. Please play for a bit longer.
    4. Well done sir for taking the time to actually do these clips. Always worthwhile.
  • If you can, definitely get a mic and an external sound card jobby. Recording with reaper is fairly straightforward once you've got your head around a few very basic basics (I use a pod studio ux2 as the sound card but these days you can get better for less money I'd think - behringer do a really good one, the utopia I think - @digitalscream?) ;

The other cool thing is you get to play with plugins - which are seriously powerful. Even the free ones with reaper are excellent, I use the reverbs and delays a lot. 

But nice one on doing this - you have an interesting enough gear setup that a YouTube channel would be well received and viewed :) and that's awesome. 

I'm waiting for my action cam to arrive so I can shove it on my slr and do "first person shooter" videos at shoots before doing a screencast edit session to show the kind of things I think about and invite critique for improvement. But I'm shit scared about going on camera frankly... 
  • miserneil said:
    Perhaps you could post some of your clips/videos @robinbowes to demonstrate to James what you mean?
    It's a fair point. I have the capability to record, but: a) I have 5 kids in the house at vary stages of going to bed, doing homework, etc., and b) I'm not as well-endowed i
    n the equipment department as @Gassage ;

The only thing I currently have to offer is this short clip demonstrating the 3 modes of my Vibratone cab: 

I must try harder, I know.

Anyway, back to @Gassage - you got a Neve yet?

sounds a bit boxy, I would prefer the natural ambience and compression of an iPhone mic  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • An analogy: out of these two paintings, which has the most vibrant colours? 

R.
    Firstly)  they are obviously prints.....
    Secondly) the right is a print of a fake 
    C) the one on the right is slightly higher than the one on the left, so thereby imparting an observational bias. 

Then you sign off at the end with the letter R, which a flagrant piece of pseudo neurolinguistic programming if ever I saw it.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ruoma said:
    Holy cow! Can somebody please delete this thread and start a new one discussing the actual video?!! 

@Gassage As a frequent YouTube viewer and pedal buyer myself, I have gotten quite skilled in listening "through" recordings that are done with camera mics, especially of pedals and amps that are rarely recorded like Cornish and lazy j. If you just listen closely to the dry signal as reference, turning on the pedal gives a pretty good idea of what to expect, even with an iPhone. Of course if it's really ultra ultra crappy it won't be usable, but your recording is FAR from bad. 

Just the fact that there's another video of a j40 online now is a time for celebration. And the j40 with Cornish pedals is a once in a YouTube opportunity so I commend your effort fully!

And for the people who evangelize a mic, it will definitely be a better recording, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Close micing a 57 can give you 100 different results depending on where you placed it. And a close mic'd sound is a whole lot different than a room sound, which is what most of us are used to.

So anyways, to me, the P1 sounded pretty bad ass, the G2 a bit too mid humpy? I think the rackmount RAT sounded a bit like a mixture of those two, and I suspect somewhere between the two settings you demoed. Didnt care for the pedal butler or the way it was dialed in anyways, however the rack butler seemed awesome! I did get the feeling though you were dialing in the 3Q1 and the ST2 to get a bit of those mids out of the lazy j, right? Couldn't you achieve that with the amps Eq? Those mids in the cleans are my love/hate thing with the j20.

Next time though if you could audition the clean sound a bit more, or switch back to clean between each pedal, would refresh the reference sound for an even better comparison ;)

Cheers!
    Thanks mate....

Re points, spot on re the Rat- everyone has remarked on it.

As always, a lot of this is the settings on the pedals- I also tend to midhump everything as my hearing is best in that frequency.

Rack BK - that's really set to the Shine On lead sound and I use it a lot with the G2.

Thanks for the comments- look at the Vibe and EM video in the FX forum- they're better and hardly anyone has listened.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94140/roger-mayer-rack-voodoo-vibe-and-electric-mistress-demos#latest

Anyway, fuck you lot, I'm off to TGP where my knowledge of cork aromas is appreciated.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Won't display Waz pm....