Recording a YouTube clip - what's the basic minimum for an acceptable job

keep fancying a go at this for the odd guitar/amp/pedal demo what is the basic kit requirement that is simple to use assuming I want something better than my iPhone or webcam and thus avoiding the "your kit is crap" comments from the YouTube trolls and hate police.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Smart phones are pretty good now, lighting plays a massive part!  What phone do you have?
    A simple interface to record the guitar properly.
    Software to sync the audio and video.

are you PC or Mac?
  • yep, as above use your smart phone for video and chuck an SM57 up to the amp for sounds. From my experience of viewing youtube vids it seems to be more important to edit and stage your videos in a unique way more than the actual sounds/sound quality.
    How very rock and roll
  • joeyowen said:
    Smart phones are pretty good now, lighting plays a massive part!  What phone do you have?
    A simple interface to record the guitar properly.
    Software to sync the audio and video.

are you PC or Mac?
    iPhone se 
    pc 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    yep, as above use your smart phone for video and chuck an SM57 up to the amp for sounds. From my experience of viewing youtube vids it seems to be more important to edit and stage your videos in a unique way more than the actual sounds/sound quality.
    I personally think sound quality is the most important. If I come across a video with poor sound it's what puts me off almost instantly, video quality comes second but is easier to get than sound. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    I can't bear videos with lousy sound quality, especially when you hear the twang of the plectrum on the strings. I think that recording sound separately is a must.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Take a look at the approaches to doing it 'properly' in this thread:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/87653/you-tube-tools-techniques-and-resources-for-making-videos#latest

and then decide for yourself which aspects are less important to you, and what you and your audience are OK to sacrifice and still get your 'message' across.