HELP! - Strat superswitch wiring

I installed a superswitch in my strat this weekend, but it doesn't sound right. I'm going for Scott Henderson wiring, whereby tone pot 1 controls neck and mid, tone pot 2 controls bridge, and positions 2 and 4 are wide open with no tone control at all. I followed this diagram: http://www.online-discussion.com/ScottHenderson/photo/Strat Wiring.jpg

Everything seems to work as it should control-wise, however the output seems to have dropped considerably (even with my fuzz up full, it wasn't overdriving much) and the taper of the pots is all over the place (drop off only really occurs when you get down to 3 or less). It's really thinned out.

Is the diagram I followed wrong? Any help much appreciated. Nb. I have a treble bleed cap and resistor on the volume pot - doubt this has an effect, but worth mentioning.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    The diagram looks correct. Check very carefully for anything shorted by a trace of solder or stray wire - that will give low output and controls not working fully. 

Are the cavities shielded with either paint or tape? Check nothing is touching the sides when the pickguard is in place, and that the jack hasn't got turned round so it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Thanks, @ICBM. No paint or tape, but I am using an aluminium pickguard shield. I'll have a dig round for any stray solder or wire. I vaguely remember a similar thing happening in the past where a blob of solder had gone rogue on the wrong bit of the switch. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    It might be worth rechecking the solder joints on the switch. I had what looked like a super switch failure after about 18 months of use that turned out to be a joint that hadn't been soldered at all. 
    Will do, thanks, @normula1
    edited January 2017
    @ICBM What do you make of this one that Suhr has kindly sent me? Looks like the switch is around the other way or something... 
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://suhr.box.com/s/h91wi8tfwvwdvl043ca7gvw53ru3juy5
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    It's the same, they've just drawn it slightly differently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein