Tweed Cables?

What's Hot

Does anyone make any good quality tweed cables that are actually decent?

I prefer tweedy cables but I'm aware that the Fender ones are awful for reliability and I don't really trust the cheapy no-brand ones on ebay.

I'm not interested in audiophile nonsense, just a decent quality reliable cable. A tweed kabl would be ideal, but Rob doesn't seem to offer those on the site.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    DesignACable do tweed cables. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24799
    Don't know if they still make them - but I've got a Spectreflex which is still going strong after 20 years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    I don't know if you can still get them or if they ever did one that looks like tweed, but I have several cloth-covered Horizon Vintage IIs in various colours, which are excellent.

DiMarzio also used to do them, and you can still definitely get Stagg branded ones - which are more reliable than Fender and Planet Waves :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'm looking out for a tweed wireless system.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So are the Stagg ones OK @icbm? I'd kind if discounted them as probably no good! 
    So are the Stagg ones OK @icbm? I'd kind if discounted them as probably no good! 
    Well… we sell them in the shop and they seem OK!

One particular customer who is a friend of mine had bought Planet Waves cables from us before we stopped selling them due to the failure rate, and after his third set of PWs failed he asked us to just give him anything else rather than more PWs, and since the only others we had were the Staggs, that's what he got. They're still fine a few years later!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's enough recommendation for me. I always carry a spare anyway. 

Cheers all 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1277
    edited January 2017
    And tweed plectrums?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1 said:
    And tweed plectrums?

I've got some felt ones already :D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rowby1 said:

And tweed plectrums?

I've got some felt ones already :D

I have a couple of those that I've acquired with second hand guitars.

What are they for, exactly? And do you want them?!

• Hey feller - long-time no-see. If you have a dead cheapie tweed covered cable, could you strip the tweed off & thread a new cable of better quality through it?

We all know the tonez are in the tweed, right? ;)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:

And tweed plectrums?

I've got some felt ones already D

I have a couple of those that I've acquired with second hand guitars.

What are they for, exactly? And do you want them?!

---bass players use them. They're a bit more "thumpy" than traditional picks and have less of the click attack you get with nylon or plastic. Some people claim it sounds like you're playing with your fingers. 

Also I think Ukulele picks are traditionally felt. 

Thanks for the kind offer but I don't actually like them - just bought a few to try them out. 
    UnclePsychosis said:

---bass players use them. They're a bit more "thumpy" than traditional picks and have less of the click attack you get with nylon or plastic. Some people claim it sounds like you're playing with your fingers.
    I play bass too. I use my fingers for that ;).

UnclePsychosis said:

Also I think Ukulele picks are traditionally felt.
    Aha. I have a uke... I'll give that a go :).

• SporkySporky Frets: 28047
    Sommer do a tweed cable that has excellent specs. I think it's what design-a-cable use.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Felt picks are quite common among banjo players. I've got a few of them lying around. (Picks, not banjo players).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey feller - long-time no-see.

Blimey! A blast from the past. Hope all well :D
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I got some a year or so back from Red Dog Music. Can't remember the brand.
    Great service and the product has been faultless so far.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

I play bass too. I use my fingers for that
    You're missing out on a whole world of different tones and styles - I mostly play finger style too, but you should experiment with pick, felt pick, thumb and strum as well... !
  • Ancient_MarinerAncient_Mariner Frets: 24
    edited January 2017
    Hey feller - long-time no-see.

Blimey! A blast from the past. Hope all well D
    Yes, fine thanks. Et tu?

Miss your input on TP these days. I also occasionally post on the forum that shall not be named, which gave birth to this among others, and discovered your name in my sig from a deal we did years ago.

*Edit - just remembered you weren't on TP : that was Moos3h (was on HC and Basschat too).*
  • Does anyone make any good quality tweed cables that are actually decent?

I prefer tweedy cables but I'm aware that the Fender ones are awful for reliability and I don't really trust the cheapy no-brand ones on ebay.

I'm not interested in audiophile nonsense, just a decent quality reliable cable. A tweed kabl would be ideal, but Rob doesn't seem to offer those on the site.

Do you mean like these only longer................................

Give us a shout if you like....................