Tweed Cables?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349

but I'm aware that the Fender ones are awful for reliability

The Fender Custom Shop branded ones?

I have 2 that have been great - and they do not get treated well! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    +1 for the fender tweed custom shop leads, had mine for 5 years so far.
    Abused and still going strong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    ICBM said:
    So are the Stagg ones OK @icbm? I'd kind if discounted them as probably no good! 
    Well… we sell them in the shop and they seem OK!

One particular customer who is a friend of mine had bought Planet Waves cables from us before we stopped selling them due to the failure rate, and after his third set of PWs failed he asked us to just give him anything else rather than more PWs, and since the only others we had were the Staggs, that's what he got. They're still fine a few years later!
    I had a planet waves cable die after a couple of weeks and a handful of uses at home. No doubt their high end leads are better made but their brand is on cables that can't take light home use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Does anyone make any good quality tweed cables that are actually decent?

I prefer tweedy cables but I'm aware that the Fender ones are awful for reliability and I don't really trust the cheapy no-brand ones on ebay.

I'm not interested in audiophile nonsense, just a decent quality reliable cable. A tweed kabl would be ideal, but Rob doesn't seem to offer those on the site.

I agree that Fender Custom Shop Performance (Tweed) cables are unreliable. The soldering is mucho el cheapo (or rather velly velly cheep because made in China). These are anything but 'performance', and they bring the 'Custom Shop' brand into disrepute. In fact, I'd go as far to say, they are the cheapest cables Fender can commission, but with a basic tweed finish. Not worth it, folks. I've had two cables and the soldering went on each, but they look great, and don't tangle like non-tweed.
  • Cordial make a tweed cable - I have one - its pretty decent
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    edited January 2017
    + 1 for sommer. ..I've used them for years. I've got them from design a  cable http://www.designacable.com/guitar-effects-patch-leads-60s-vintage-cables-neutrik-mono-6-35mm-jack-plug.html. ;
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    TimmyO said:

The actual cables are fine - it's the plugs that are junk. I was given a broken one by someone which I fitted with Neutrik plugs and it's fine, although it was a struggle to get the very thick cable into them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited January 2017
    I have an old tweed Fender "Vintage Voltage" cable that has been infallible; I went online to buy another last night as I actually have a band practice session coming up for the first time in my thirties. Fender don't range the same ones any more (they're now "custom shop") but a bit of research revealed that they were rebranded Gleam Vintage Voltage cables, which are still available, so I have ordered one of those from EBay (brand new) for 9 quid or so.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I have a Fender cable, seems fine to me, really nice finish. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I'm not a gigging musician but I've got a number of Fender tweed cables and I think they're okay, for some reason my Gretsch G6120N doesn't get on with them (it crackles like mad) but all my other guitars are fine.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I've had two Fender tweed cables crap out on me, I wouldn't rate them at all.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

The actual cables are fine - it's the plugs that are junk. I was given a broken one by someone which I fitted with Neutrik plugs and it's fine, although it was a struggle to get the very thick cable into them.
    Fair enough - I'll have to be more careful (or change the jacks if I can be arsed :-)  ) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:

And tweed plectrums?

I've got some felt ones already :D

I have a couple of those that I've acquired with second hand guitars.

What are they for, exactly? And do you want them?!

Felt picks are to replicate the sound of fingers - more or less - for bass players who can't pluck fingerstyle. It kind of works, but it's not really the same, especially as technique plays a part in the tone too.
  • ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:

And tweed plectrums?

I've got some felt ones already :D

I have a couple of those that I've acquired with second hand guitars.

What are they for, exactly? And do you want them?!

Felt picks are to replicate the sound of fingers - more or less - for bass players who can't pluck fingerstyle. It kind of works, but it's not really the same, especially as technique plays a part in the tone too.