I really think I have a problem...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
edited January 2017 in FX

With effects and me, it's bordering on mild bipolerish, it's stupid, I change my mind every 5 minutes about what I think I want/need, and it's getting in the way of the enjoyment of my playing, getting in the way of life, and costing me way more money than I should be spending. Proper binge & purge, sell off gear, buy a load of gear again, repeat-to-fade, not faded yet, it's a merry-go-round that has lost its appeal.

I've posted once on this issue before, so it's a recurring problem, and it needs to stop. Right now. I could happily sell almost every pedal I have (financially it would really, really help if I did... I have generous credit card deals and I work hard, but I'm not what you'd call a high earner) because this shit is just getting in the way and counterproductively has started me very unhappy. I'm not sure if the GAS idiocy is the disease or a symptom of something bigger. I suspect my incredibly changeable mind is a source of plenty of amusement here, and choosing between this Strymon or that Eventide isn't exactly hunger or homelessness, it is a First World Problem, but I don't like the point I've arrived at, and I want my sanity back.

I'm not posting this with any question attached, I suppose other than to put this out there and to see whether I'm being daft or whether anyone else here can identify with this, and how they dealt/deal with it.

Sorry, I feel really stupid even posting this. I'm going to keep a healthy yet friendly distance from this forum from now on, but will check in. Feel free to comment/add your own experiences here, or PM me for a blather or if you want to buy a pedal or two, because I might just say yes in my current mood! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    I can identify with that except my problem extends to guitars and amps not just effects!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's boredom and the shiny gratification that a new thing gives you
    It's only a game you should play if you can afford it. If you are in hawk then you need to sort that out as a priority
    Then you can build on it but only when you can really afford it. It will be a longer path to the shiny gratification but ultimately I think you would find it more worthwhile 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    It's boredom and the shiny gratification that a new thing gives you
    It's only a game you should play if you can afford it. If you are in hawk then you need to sort that out as a priority
    Then you can build on it but only when you can really afford it. It will be a longer path to the shiny gratification but ultimately I think you would find it more worthwhile 

I wouldn't say I'm in trouble financially, but I could really do with reining in the spending and selling off some gear before it becomes a problem.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    If you are like me, then you are addicted to trying new pedals and that it doesn't actually have much to do with playing guitar. Hobby has become buying stuff, not playing. I find gear way more interesting than actually playing - but I have to play to use the gear, so it gets me playing... 

that said my gig rig is more or less unchanged for a a long time.. that's where I earn my money to fund more gear, so I have to know it, trust it and use it!

I have to be stricter with my discipline. I used to have a hard and fast rule that I would only spend money I 'd earned from gigging.. (not a penny more) but that has kind of gone out the window.. I need to get back to that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are like me, then you are addicted to trying new pedals and that it doesn't actually have much to do with playing guitar. Hobby has become buying stuff, not playing. I find gear way more interesting than actually playing - but I have to play to use the gear, so it gets me playing... 

that said my gig rig is more or less unchanged for a a long time.. that's where I earn my money to fund more gear, so I have to know it, trust it and use it!

Wisdom there. It was initially "I never had decent gear before" and I've been playing guitar since I was 12 and was playing catch up as I'm in a position where I can buy decent stuff, but the hobbyism of the gear-accumulation has taken over.

The only thing I won't give up are my guitars.

BTW, forums like this are awful for turning guitar playing into gear buying. It's all about shiny new toys and gear.
    Maybe think about what you are doing musically, are you in aband, playing, writing, recording etc? where is your playing going?

If you are stuck for ideas of something to do, then head over to the making music section and see if any of the challenges appeal. 

Stop buying gear. Play more and stay off the gear pages...
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you think *you* have a problem.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    @Cabicular has sunk more money into stands than most people have in their guitars.

Let's not mention @HarrySeven.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BTW, forums like this are awful for turning guitar playing into gear buying. It's all about shiny new toys and gear.
    Maybe think about what you are doing musically, are you in aband, playing, writing, recording etc? where is your playing going?

If you are stuck for ideas of something to do, then head over to the making music section and see if any of the challenges appeal. 

Doing quite a bit of composing, jamming with a drummer friend of mine who wants to take it further and gig (Mogwai-ish, early Verve, Cocteaus, "post-rock" stuff with some trance-electro sounds). Love playing blues as well and trying to get into playing some jazzy stuff as well.
  • Cabicular said:
    If you think *you* have a problem.....

I've added "Wow", but just wanted to say wow again. WOW.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2017
    Ive been getting a bit more involved with buying gear recently and I have no idea why haha, I'm always looking at new pedals and wondering which ones would get me closer to "that" tone. The stupid thing is I'm mostly happy with my amp and when I get to plug it in and turn up I don't really think about other pedals etc. It's an addiction I think. Luckily I'm too careful with my money to let it get too serious!

Forums are the worst for it though. Before I started posting on here and TGP my gear had remained unchanged for about 4 years.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm like that with drugs and hookers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I'm like that with drugs and hookers.
    Do you tend to sell your sex-workers if you don't like their tone?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    @BintyTwanger77 Just sell off loads of stuff, scale right back. It's good for the soul. Just keep a good amp, good guitar and maybe limit yourself to pedals that only fit only a pedaltrain nano or similar. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BTW, forums like this are awful for turning guitar playing into gear buying. It's all about shiny new toys and gear.

Doing quite a bit of composing, jamming with a drummer friend of mine who wants to take it further and gig (Mogwai-ish, early Verve, Cocteaus, "post-rock" stuff with some trance-electro sounds). Love playing blues as well and trying to get into playing some jazzy stuff as well.
    Then get that band going!
    Cabicular said:
    If it wasn't for kids That's how my I'd like my house to look :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited January 2017
    Stay away from forums. There is *always* a new shiny thing, usually a minimally-different version of something that already exists or you may already own. 

Alternatively just make sure you only visit in sync with the times when the stuff you have now comes back en vogue....which it will, eventually!

More importantly though, when is the jam at chez @cabicular ? :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Also avoid TGP. The amount they spend and the collections they have are not normal and probably not healthy!