I really think I have a problem...

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Stay away from forums. There is *always* a new shiny thing, usually a minimally-different version of something that already exists or you may already own. 

Alternatively just make sure you only visit in sync with the times when the stuff you have now comes back en vogue....which it will, eventually!

More importantly though, when is the jam at chez @cabicular ? :) 
    :) you're always welcome if you are in town
    Give me a DM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Cabicular said:
    I count 45 on there! Respect!!!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Every time I think I'm over it, something like this pops up: and then I'm right back where I started. Last night I managed to accidentally order a pedal by logging into paypal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

My mind can change 3 times in a day between building myself a new midi controlled rack > going Helix > happy with current board > downsizing board to bare minimum. so I feel your frustration!

I'd very much agree that you need some context or a purpose for the rig you're building.

when my band has had a busy gigging schedule, the board (or rack) has gone for 3-4 months with minimal changes (swapping out a fuzz for another OD) and stays pretty minimal. 
    However when we had a 3 month break after myself and the drummer had surgery for injuries, which included a month off work... I stripped down and rebuilt everything 3 or 4 times.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30900
    edited January 2017
    Graeme,

Oh boy can I identify with this. I am going to repsond very genuinely to you as since you started on here I have smiled at the roads you've been down as I've probably been there for the same reasons and can identify, as can many.

So, assuming, and I believe this, that GAS is literally a mild form of mental illness, I've divided this up a bit.

There's a number of ways to cure and also assist the issue:

Vision:
    1. Firstly, decide who/what/how you want sound. Have a vision, a goal that can't be moved.
    2. When you buy, try stuff through your rig. Use 30 day return policies to make sure.
    3. Tape and video the best of your gear. Remind yourself how good it is.
    4. When you buy, buy well and buy once. I sometimes am ripped for flipping but I'm very binary- once it's a keeper, it's a keeper. Rather buy THE one pedal a year than two compromises.
    The Hardware;
    1. There's little crap gear around these days, so you can't make many mistakes.
    2. Always buy used, always search in eBay for completed listings.
    3. Buy the right spec (e.g. KoT Red/HiGainRed > Standard KoT for resale
    4. Understand that the differences in most dirt, delay pedals is marginal. Most people change the wroing things looking for Eutopia. The truth, with dirt is, the best thing you can do is stick to one good one and a very good EQ after.
    5. Buy stuff suited to your environment that you play in (yes, I've a midi rack with a board on top but I'm 52, bad back, can't see and want the flexibility of seeing the pedals and tweaking them and it's the best solution)
    6. What sounds good on youtube or through a Marshall in the shop might sound shite thru something else. See point 2 at top.
    7. Accept that if you buy wisely on some things (guits mainly) you can actually build up a real investment portfolio too- I have one friend who thinks nothing of blowing £6k on a handbuilt amp with his specs, but poo-poos me when I say buy a preCBS strat instead.
    Dealing with the Addiction thing:
    1. Accept and realise GAS is truly an addiction.
    2. Accept that there are danger times- e.g. when you're pissed or loaded(high) and you go on eBay and Lo! and behold, something catches your fancy and the next morning it's 'fuck me what have I done?" Manage those times- don't go on eBay, accept that you're vunerable. (I do. I saw a rackmout Cornish Tube Driver last night for 900 quid I wanted so much it hurt- so I did the clips of my rig I posted instead, reminded myself I have 10 dirt pedals and luckilly someone else bought it)
    3. Don't trust shop demo's. They are designed to open your wallet.
    4. When tempted to buy, go to your board, get a soft brush and some wire wool, brush the dust off, clean every jack and put the pedals back neatly. Clean pedals sound better. (they don't but holding your own stuff is very theraputic and you realise the level of stuff you have)
    5. Talk to people on here about getting the most of what you want.
    6. Record your stuff, even getting others to play it as they'll make different tones to you.
    I hope this helps.

But I do, FWIW, believe it's a mental medical addiction.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Not bloody this again.

You are always saying, oh i gotta stay away from here, it's ruining me etc .. just bloody go, please, go.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:
    Not bloody this again.

You are always saying, oh i gotta stay away from here, it's ruining me etc .. just bloody go, please, go.

"Did you ever know that you're my heeeeero/And everything I would like to beeeee/I can fly higher than an eagle/For you are the wind beneath my wiiings...."

X

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

It's the internet. You're constantly looking at shit, talking about shit, wanting shit.

Sell the stuff you don't need. book a holiday to a far flung destination, and enjoy life.

(By the way, I'd like to take my own advice)

gusman2x said:

It's the internet. You're constantly looking at shit, talking about shit, wanting shit.

Sell the stuff you don't need. book a holiday to a far flung destination, and enjoy life.

(By the way, I'd like to take my own advice)

LOL

I really mean what I say above about looking at, holding and recording your own gear.

It's like dieting and weighing yourself, writing it down and congratulating- key points to success.

• BTW, forums like this are awful for turning guitar playing into gear buying. It's all about shiny new toys and gear.
    Maybe think about what you are doing musically, are you in aband, playing, writing, recording etc? where is your playing going?

If you are stuck for ideas of something to do, then head over to the making music section and see if any of the challenges appeal. 

Stop buying gear. Play more and stay off the gear pages...

Doing quite a bit of composing, jamming with a drummer friend of mine who wants to take it further and gig (Mogwai-ish, early Verve, Cocteaus, "post-rock" stuff with some trance-electro sounds). Love playing blues as well and trying to get into playing some jazzy stuff as well.
    Nice selection of bands btw!
    I can relate to this, I've been a serial pedal hoarder, flipper over the years. 
    I purchased a small Pedal Train and a small pedal power supply to power six pedals, I've got to say it's kind of worked, it's controlled the urge to buy more, I'm down to just four pedals which I'm very happy with and I actually use them.   
    Oh lastly, to my list above...

Zero every pedal pot and amp pot.

Then re EQ and calibrate every pedal etc...it's amazing what you'll find tonally and how much fun it is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Are you in a band? If not join one. It really takes your mind off your gear and back to your playing.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited January 2017
    My pedal board is quite big, but last time I played in a band I realised that I only used 3 pedals for the whole set -and two of them were overdrives.  

I could tell you which ones, but that would kind of defeat the object of this thread. 
  • Maynehead said:
    Are you in a band? If not join one. It really takes your mind off your gear and back to your playing.

The beginnings of one. Need a bass player.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    No question that GAS is an addiction, especially if it leads to money troubles...

I agree with @Gassage in that there are not many bad pedals these days - but what I will say is that there is a ton of stuff that brings nothing new to the table at all. I've been through a boat load of pedals since joining TFB and there are only a small handful of genuine stunners - lots do minute variations of the same things. Drive pedals are the worst. You can get sucked into believing that the latest pedal really is new and amazing, but in lots of cases (maybe the majority) you've already been there...

There comes a point where you have been through enough to realize that there is no perfect setup as you are always playing through someone else' creation. You just have to get close.

Plug in to what you have and be inspired.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What scale are we talking here? I think its important to have some context - I thought I had a similar problem to you and was worried I was hoarding gear and not using it.

Then I went to the recent post about rack gear and didn't feel bad at all! (no offence to the rackers out there!)

Set yourself limitations. If a pedal doesn't fit on my board then its for sale. Except for one @Magnetic_Effects pedal there are no exclusions to this rule for me.

I've also been turning the habit against itself recently - I decided to downsize financially. I'm selling my Flint and buying cheaper verbs/trems. I've sold expensive klones and bought a very nice Little Green Wonder clone instead as a boost. Its occurred to me that the price of these things are ridiculous; every builder is using top quality parts so find a builder you like and buy their cheap stuff!

The Snouse I've been touting on the forums for a while is a prime example - KoT? A million pounds. JHS Morning Glory? A million pounds. Snouse Blackbox? Only $99! And it sounds better to my ears. Part of the pleasure for me now is finding small builders who are building excellent products at affordable prices and supporting them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I think the biggest thing when buying pedals in particular is, it may sound great through the demoer's kit but it may not sound good through your amp/rig. This has certainly been the case with me sometimes and ended up moving it on at a loss. I never really get actual guitar demos though, the ones you see on youtube for example, because that is purely down to the talent of the guitarist and their kit. It will sound different in your hands. So this is probably why we are never satisfied and on the constant tone search. I've given that up somewhat nowadays and like to keep it all simple if possible. Although what I consider a modest board (mine) others gasp at it saying it's enormous – it isn't LOL.

Perhaps set yourself a guitar fund and only buy when you know you have enough to pay for it without using credit. Or one pedal out and new one in scenario. I must admit the buying process is an addictive one and totally feel for what you are experiencing. Be strong and just say no to buying anything for one month at least?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Take up crack cocaine, it can work out cheaper.
  • Sassafras said:
    Take up crack cocaine, it can work out cheaper.
    ....and so moreish. Wisdom duly awarded.
  • Thanks for your (mostly) lovely comments. Very helpful.