Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM 2017

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Is it me imagining it or is there already a load more interesting new stuff this year compared to previous years? 

Like the look of the MXR Phase 95 and the mini DynaComp
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    miserneil said:
    Hmmm....http://www.guitar-bass.net/news/namm-2017-fender-custom-shop-founders/

@DamianP might have something to say about that headstock...

What can he really say to them?

I have started to see a trend though.  If you see a fender style guitar not built by fender getting a lot of love of the internet, it will 2-3 Namm's before you see fenders version of the same thing appear.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    miserneil said:

I have started to see a trend though.  If you see a fender style guitar not built by fender getting a lot of love of the internet, it will 2-3 Namm's before you see fenders version of the same thing appear.  

Yes, fair comment.

Actually, it's possibly a nice compliment that Fender have Masterbuilt a similar model.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Isn't it the case that Gene Baker was the original builder of the 'Telstar' that was one of the inspirations (I guess) for the Rocket? 

Being honest I prefer Damian's standard headstock anyway, and particularly the very cool truss rod covers.
    tFB Trader
    Isn't it the case that Gene Baker was the original builder of the 'Telstar' that was one of the inspirations (I guess) for the Rocket? 

Being honest I prefer Damian's standard headstock anyway, and particularly the very cool truss rod covers.
    I would agree, I dare say the Masterbuilt guitar would be more expensive too. I know which I'd choose.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    miserneil said:
    WezV said:
    miserneil said:

Yes, fair comment.

Actually, it's possibly a nice compliment that Fender have Masterbuilt a similar model.
    Hmmm - I think Fender may actually say its a nod to the original Fender Marauder. The blue areas on the headstock are rebated...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    The paisley tele with p90s is unreal. Lovely!
    tFB Trader
    The paisley tele with p90s is unreal. Lovely!
    Unreal, yes. Lovely, erm...? 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Ibanez Jem 30th anniversary models (about 5:50 into this video) !! I didn't think there was anything else I wanted until I saw this...!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24258
    Ibanez Jem 30th anniversary models (about 5:50 into this video) !! I didn't think there was anything else I wanted until I saw this...!

Them's not going to be cheap!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036

Them's not going to be cheap!
    £3099 according to GAK !
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24258
    Damn.

I had a yellow RG550 in about 1989. I would have loved a Jem in that colour now.

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    A few Custom Shop Limited Edition Strats with a set of hand wound Dual Mag p/ups -similar to the new American Professional series with a mix of Alnico 2 or 5 magnets

My favourite is a Limited Edition Custom Shop 1960 Heavy Relic Strat/Compound Radius (9.5" to 12") with hand wound pick-ups in a few colour options

Wait for it - Roasted Yuriy Shishkov Masterbuilt Studioliner - a total one of - price will be over £350,000 - yes £350,000 - I dare say pics will be o various sites after Thursday - not seen a pic myself yet - spec as follows - Alder Body; Black Base Color; Rear Load Controls; Custom Silver Body Binding; Engraved Enameled Inlayed Silver Artwork; 423 Diamonds Set in Body Top; 462 Diamonds Set in Body Back; 4A Birdseye Handstained Maple Neck; Silver Sparkle Binding; Ruby Side Dots; 115 Diamonds Set in Neck; 12" Radius; Medium Jumbo Frets; Large 'C' Neckshape; Custom Made Bridge; Lawrence Mini Hum Pickups with Custom Made Bezels; 1 Volume; 1 Tone; 6 Way Rotary Switch; Flight Case; Certificate of Authenticity; Inspiration Camera and Miniature Art Deco Picture Frame with Leo Fender Included.
    You'd want Leo Fender included for that price. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Want want want want, did I say want?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    kinda wish they had gone full on relic and not given it the bright pearloid guard and cream P-90 covers.  Or kept them and gone totally new shiny finish.  just looks an odd mix as it is

and  could they not have gone with a reshaped guard to fit the bridge pickup properly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    WezV said:
    and  could they not have gone with a reshaped guard to fit the bridge pickup properly!
    I wish you didn't mention that, now I can't unsee it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibanez Jem 30th anniversary models (about 5:50 into this video) !! I didn't think there was anything else I wanted until I saw this...!

Ibanez RG and S product lines have been getting progressively stronger the last few years. It wasn't that long ago it was mainly black low-end models with a few stagnant Prestige guitars. If the blue and red RG6PCMs had original Edge trems I'd be ordering both now! I'd also love a DY Jem but that price is just unrealistic :anguished:
    Jack_ said:
    WezV said:
    I wish you didn't mention that, now I can't unsee it.
    its even worse when you consider they probably had to spend 5 minutes making a version to take a p90 in the neck.   just stopped short

if they had put tv jones and a aged white guard on it i would probably over look it
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    miserneil said:

WezV said:
    miserneil said:

Isn't it the case that Gene Baker was the original builder of the 'Telstar' that was one of the inspirations (I guess) for the Rocket? 

I have nothing but good things to say about that guitar.  I think it was a great idea by Fender to pay tribute to the original custom shop guys.  I wish I could have worked there.  Unfortunately I'm here and it's a bit of a commute!

The DNA  of that guitar and the Rocket come from the same source.  Moe is correct. The original DAG/Chad Underwood Telstar was originally designed by Gene.    My friend Matte Henderson was also involved and he ended up with ownership of the design.   The current version of the Telstar design is the LSL Guitars Mongrel.

Matte and I worked together on re-designing the concept from a 25.5" scale bolt guitar into a 24 5/8" scale set neck one.  I had to re shape the body slightly to suit the 17th fret neck/body joint but the rest of the outline is the same.  The aim was to build something with all the sonic attributes of a great Gibson but with the comfort and ergos of a Strat.  We nibbled bits from here and there along the way.  A little Explorer in the neck joint, a little Firebird in the headstock.  There's bits of most of my favourite  '50s designs in there somewhere but It definitely all started with Genes original idea.

I'm currently working on a new version which has less Strat and more Tele in the mix.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom