H H L100 problems

4xv4xv Frets: 49
So after many years of being unused I have finally dug out my old HH amp.....only to find the overdrive channel to be extremely quiet the clean channel however is crisp and loud any thoughts or where to start looking would be greatly received
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I had one of these to fix a while back which had a dead transistor on that channel - can't remember which one, sorry. It wasn't a difficult thing to trace if you're reasonably familiar with simple analogue circuits, but probably would be if not.

There's also a good chance it will need both the main filter caps and probably other electrolytics replacing, most of the ones I've done in the last few years have, they're all getting to that age now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    Thanks for that, any idea on sort of ball park figure I'd possibly be looking at to repair? Or is it more cost effective to lose the electrics and use it as a slave cabinet hooked up to a new amp? I've had it nearly twenty years and it wasn't new then!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Probably around £100 for a full service including fixing the fault. At that, I'd have it fixed unless it's in really poor condition - they're actually quite nice amps and starting to just creep up a bit in value now - although not much!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    Thanks it's not in the best condition but might make a nice project for that classic feel . Thanks for the info all the same, rich