Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Current guitar/amp that will be seen as a classic collectible

What's Hot
Of the current builders are there any that have the build, style and features to become a collectible classic. Are there any guitars that have appreciated in the last 30 years?

Of the non Fender or Gibson the best I've played was a Collings i35

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    Danocasters could maybe get some future collectability.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I imagine Blackmachine will only become more desirable. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    It's possible that something like Lazy J amps could get collectible.  If you look at something like Trainwreck, then it's possible.  There are so many boutique builders these days though that I'm not sure you could ever get the the status of something like Trainwreck.  I suspect that demand for valve amps will reduce in the future as digital stuff keeps getting better and cheaper.   I wouldn't buy any valve amp as investment now.

WIth guitars you have to find the next big thing in the "boutique" market.  The problem is that there are so many small makers that it's difficult for any one of them to get that kind of desirability.  It's not even like we have major young guitar heroes now to market them and make them desirable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  Hello Kitty Squiers. Laugh all you want. I'm serious. 
    I dunno if they count as "current" and they're certainly not boutique, but I suspect they'll attain cult/collectable status. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    None of them. So many guitarists still covet 50+ year old designs (which isn't unreasonable, mostly) and will do so for the foreseeable future, IMO. This is what makes stuff desirable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Felines
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Electrical Guitar Company 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited January 2017
    May be some high end arch tops - such as Monteleone. As far as solids are concerned, I doubt any - not through a lack of quality, just a lack of widespread acceptance....
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Parker Fly? Original Variax?
    Kemper?

I suspect the Hello Kitty shout is a good one too...

Adam
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The Gibson Terry Morgans or the Terry Morgan Gibsons. It all gets a bit confusing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    The Ibanez JP models keep going up and up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Millimetric.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Squire CV
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    High end gear like Collings, hand built archtops, Trussarts, Thorns and especially hand built acoustics as 50 years from now old growth wood will be even more scarce. Amps I don't think so much. A clone is a wonderful thing as Victoria first proved and digital modelling will make alot of valve amps fuctionally obsolete. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    The St Vincent Ernie Ball. 
    Sig models will always be collectable because the legal agreements involved are often limited and, if they get renewed, they can change the specs. This lead to the weird situation where you have the current Eric Clapton signature strat and a Pete Townsend signature strat (which is an older model of Clapton strat with a piezo) being sold concurrently. 

If you got a J mascis squier jazzmaster back when they could be had for ~250 secondhand, I reckon they'll go for (at least) as much as they currently are new a while after they cease production on them. I've seen the MIJ Mascis sig priced way above the average for MIJ jazzmasters in the past, but I haven't seen one for sale in ages.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Absolutely anything "made" by Phillips Cleartone Conversions.

Who patented the term "sausage fingers" and created the extra wide nut for folks with .... sausage fingers!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Very early PRS instruments do pretty well.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Original Patrick Eggle guitars prior to when he sold the company and his name. Guitars such as the original Berlin Pro, Legend, and Vienna.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Whitecat said:
    Very early PRS instruments do pretty well.

How early?