Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Current guitar/amp that will be seen as a classic collectible

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I would think that Fanos will become much harder to find as more people mistake them for bin fodder or fire wood. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The @ThorpyFX Lawsuit model

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Teuffel birdfish. If you bought one 15 years ago you'd already have almost quadrupled your money.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Fender Pawn Shop Offset Specials.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30878
    Whitecat said:
    Very early PRS instruments do pretty well.

How early?
    The ones known as pre Factory are the ones that are sought after. I 'think' that's pre 97 but unsure.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30878
    Agree re Lazy J's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Gassage said:
    Whitecat said:

How early?
    The ones known as pre Factory are the ones that are sought after. I 'think' that's pre 97 but unsure.
    Factory move was 95 I think.

85s and 86s fetch big money.  87 to 91 will fetch a premium.  They switched from using Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard in 91, so they are worth less after that.

If there is a premium on 91 to 95 "pre-factory" guitars then it's not a very big one.

You would be better off picking up something from one of the younger master builders in the Fender Custom Shop, and hope he goes on to get the kind of reputation that Todd Krause, or the late John English have/had.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Gassage said:
    Whitecat said:
    How early?
    Pre-factory would be before late 1985. All PRSs after that are factory-made.

The really collectable ones are the '85s and '86s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    edited January 2017
    crunchman said:
    Gassage said:
    Whitecat said:

How early?
    Factory move was 95 I think.

85s and 86s fetch big money.  87 to 91 will fetch a premium.  They switched from using Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard in 91, so they are worth less after that.

If there is a premium on 91 to 95 "pre-factory" guitars then it's not a very big one.
    ^^ this - but "pre-factory" is a misnomer thrown about incorrectly most of the time - it should in reality mean guitars made pre-1985, before the PRS Guitars company existed. There are a few of those kicking about. Otherwise it was just small factory-big factory. 85s and 86s are the most valuable otherwise. I wouldn't bet on much else. 

Here's a proper pre-factory model - https://reverb.com/uk/item/3624480-1977-paul-reed-smith-pre-factory-guitar

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Jackson Surfcasters are getting quite hard to come by.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Not a lot I would guess.

The small brands don't have a name known widely enough, and the bigger guys are churning out millions of the damn things on CNC machines.

So it's going to be bigger name items that for some reason were discontinued or amended in some way, ideally with a bit of press interest. Pre Lawsuit stuff, limited run stuff.

If ThorpyFX is still around in 50 years then the Muffroom Cloud will probably fall into that bracket even if they are still making the Fallout Cloud at that point.

That's the problem I suppose - we'll never know what will end up being a "pre lawsuit" type product until there is a dispute.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Early Ibanez Jems and Universe models are going up in value a hell of a lot. Try finding a UVMC for under £3000 now, it's very very unlikely

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Not a particularly clever idea - but I would say later and later Gibsons. Early 70's are going up and up, in 50 years - getting a non weight relieved Les Paul from (say) 80's or even 90s?

That's a good buy.

Similar logic - Gibson/Fender custom shop, whether you like them or not

One thing that someone mentioned above is the issue of good good wood getting scarce.

It will be less of an issue for Fender style guitars, but might make Gibson/PRS/high end acoustics more valuable.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    rico said:
    Squire CV
    Could be right. Highly thought of, and I guess will be dropped from the range at some point.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    The problem with the "good wood" thing is that CITES may eventually make all the "good wood" difficult to move around the globe. With the sheer volume of second-hand guitars out there people are going to be far less inclined to go out of their way to scare up permits and paperwork to import something across a border rather than just wait for one in their own country, so the secondhand customer base is going to be more limited. This could easily mitigate any price rises that might otherwise occur. Time will tell though.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    timmysoft said:
    I would think that Fanos will become much harder to find as more people mistake them for bin fodder or fire wood. 
    Are Fano guitars really that bad?

It's like saying the Morris Ital is collectible because people mistake them for a poorly designed rust-bucket and so let them go to the scrap heap. As of last year there's only 43 left registered in the the UK. Super duper rare, and getting rarer.
  • Bidley said:
    None of them. So many guitarists still covet 50+ year old designs (which isn't unreasonable, mostly) and will do so for the foreseeable future, IMO. This is what makes stuff desirable.

SADLY THIS. We are an aging bunch, so the market is going to get smaller and smaller too.
    fandango said:
    timmysoft said:
    Are Fano guitars really that bad?

It's like saying the Morris Ital is collectible because people mistake them for a poorly designed rust-bucket and so let them go to the scrap heap. As of last year there's only 43 left registered in the the UK. Super duper rare, and getting rarer.
    How on earth has someone kept 43 of those things running?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited January 2017
    Returning to "current guitar/amp that will be seen as a classic collectible", this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh8cgiHBIg8