UK Government to confirm exit from EU single market in speech on Tuesday

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    I liked that she pretty much wore my pyjamas to work.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    octatonic said:
    They're just upset we won't be bank rolling their dreams of being the most powerful nation in Europe.

Oh and Die Welt is the German equivalent of The Daily Mail. Read into that what you will.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited January 2017
    Motorhate said:
    octatonic said:
    They're just upset we won't be bank rolling their dreams of being the most powerful nation in Europe.

Oh and Die Welt is the German equivalent of The Daily Mail. Read into that what you will.
    Why? Are we suddenly going to stop buying BMW, Mercedes, VAG, Porsche and Bentley?

Pretty sure that every time I turn on a tap or flush my toilet, the Germans are getting my money too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2017
    if I've learned anything over the last 6 months it's that, more than ever the world is an unpredictable place..
    and that the experts have repeatedly got so much wrong

I'm still nervous about the future..
    but so long as the experts continue to predict that we'll be fkd, it means there is hope...
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Motorhate said:

It's more along the journalistic model of the Times. You'll note that the publisher, Axel Springer SE, also publishes Bild, the German equivalent to the Sun. 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    bodhi said:
    lenny_b said:
    - the freedom and ability (more for my kids than for me) to freely travel, work and settle in 27 countries rather than one;
    For me, this more than anything else.  Freedom of movement is an incredible privilege.

but a  hypothetical privilege - people like the sound of it but do not use it. Most people live their whole lives within 2 miles of where they grew up
    AFAIK about 300k UK citizens work in the EU
    That's 0.5%  of us

We would not be logical in  making a decision based on the benefit to such a small number of us

In any case,  I'd assume that many of these 300k would  have  got a job in the EU anyway, regardless of whether the UK was in the EU

For vacations?  UK citizens can travel visa-free to  over 100 countries now. It's in the top 3 best passports to hold

For retirement?  Poor, hot countries have always welcomed pensioners
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    I thought it looked like tartan carpet badly cut into a suit - the suit equivalent of a carpet bag
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Clarky said:
    if I've learned anything over the last 6 months it's that, more than ever the world is an unpredictable place..
    and that the experts have repeatedly got so much wrong

I'm still nervous about the future..
    but so long as the experts continue to predict that we'll be fkd, it means there is hope...
    Yeah, I think it makes things interesting actually. Not WW3 interesting, but interesting in a relatively sane way.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Myranda said:
    Sporky said:
    I thought it looked like tartan carpet badly cut into a suit - the suit equivalent of a carpet bag
    It really was a terrible look!
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534

but a  hypothetical privilege - people like the sound of it but do not use it. Most people live their whole lives within 2 miles of where they grew up
    That's 0.5%  of us
    That's the number of people who permanently work in the EU - I think if you included people who occasionally (or even regularly) visit other EU countries for work, it would be much, much higher. All of those people may now potentially be required to get a visa for those trips.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    LoFi said:

That's 0.5%  of us
    That's the number of people who permanently work in the EU - I think if you included people who occasionally (or even regularly) visit other EU countries for work, it would be much, much higher. All of those people may now potentially be required to get a visa for those trips.
    Maybe, but only if the EU is a twat about it. I'm working in Kuwait today. Got off the plane and got a visa. For free. I'll be going home in 4 hours. 

Obviously the contracting arrangements for my firm are more complex than that (I am working for the UAE entity, but the invoicing entity will be the Kuwaiti office so the client isn't directly paying for my service), but still- it isn't a big deal in the scheme of all that's important in the world. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    If it is really obvious that leaving the EU will make us better off then the UK would have left the EU a long time ago. The same applies to all the other EU member states.

The referendum was a strange vote because there was no leave plan and it was not certain what was going to happen. Hence the months of speculation. We only just got the hint of the plan this week and it is still vague.

What I don't understand is that it seems leaving will lead to more globalisation for the UK (at least the talk of more global trade agreements). And it felt like a lot of the leave vote was because of the effects of globalisation.

I don't like the talk of some sectors (e.g. in the City of London) will get special deals. How is this fair?

The UK is one of the biggest economies in the world (as part of the EU). Out of the EU it is uncertain. Economically, why would you leave? Greed?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Sporky said:
    I was making a joke about economists!
    Doh!

I'm a bit punchy today. I'm wading through 8 file boxes to look for something naughty and I've got man flu.

Daisy, Daiiiiiiisy....... What are you doing, Dave?
    FWIW I agree with you on a serious level too.

I also find it hard to believe that setting up trade agreements (for example) is a really simple thing that will take only a couple of weeks.
    @Sporky ;

You might like this

https://www.facebook.com/OpenBritain/videos/1458844667489186/

WTO Chap saying he's unaware of trade agreements taking less than 5 to 7 years!
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    And about the free movement of people...

How about this to cure society's ills: Why not have a mass slaughter of pensioners? It would lead to National Insurance spending savings, huge savings in the NHS and would free up plenty of housing.
    (Not 100% serious)

I don't get the immigration "problem". Services are not good in the UK and that is because of lack of investment and good planning. Immigration has nothing to do with it. If more people come you increase the amount of spending (you are getting more money from tax). I heard people say the country is overcrowded-- there's clearly enough square inches for everyone-- that's just silly.

It's interesting that the majority in Scotland voted remain where they prioritise their services more.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    bwets said:
    And about the free movement of people...

How about this to cure society's ills: Why not have a mass slaughter of pensioners? It would lead to National Insurance spending savings, huge savings in the NHS and would free up plenty of housing.
    (Not 100% serious)

I don't get the immigration "problem". Services are not good in the UK and that is because of lack of investment and good planning. Immigration has nothing to do with it. If more people come you increase the amount of spending (you are getting more money from tax). I heard people say the country is overcrowded-- there's clearly enough square inches for everyone-- that's just silly.

It's interesting that the majority in Scotland voted remain where they prioritise their services more.

80% serious?

Just curious! ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bwets said:

I'm not sure the majority of us up here would agree, regarding services!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    LoFi said:

That's 0.5%  of us
    how many is  that? 
    and how much trouble is it really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    bwets said:
    If it is really obvious that leaving the EU will make us better off then the UK would have left the EU a long time ago. The same applies to all the other EU member states.

The referendum was a strange vote because there was no leave plan and it was not certain what was going to happen. Hence the months of speculation. We only just got the hint of the plan this week and it is still vague.

What I don't understand is that it seems leaving will lead to more globalisation for the UK (at least the talk of more global trade agreements). And it felt like a lot of the leave vote was because of the effects of globalisation.

I don't like the talk of some sectors (e.g. in the City of London) will get special deals. How is this fair?

The UK is one of the biggest economies in the world (as part of the EU). Out of the EU it is uncertain. Economically, why would you leave? Greed?

Currently the EU negotiates trade deals for all members as a group, so a trade deal that the Netherlands would like with New Zealand would have to suit all 28 members or however members if it's a majority deal instead of a unilateral one. Also it isn't always one country one vote so it depends on the terms of the negotiations. This is why so many government members have made contact to the UK for post Brexit trade deals, each deal suiting Britain and that country better than that country and the EU as a whole. Also we are not walking away from one country with a GDP of $17tr, over half that figure comes from just three countries, Germany, the UK and France, in that order as of 2015.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom