Just Bought a Peavey JSX Head

What's Hot
MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
Always wanted one of these, played one years ago and fell in love with it, but just not found one in my budget, or one around when I could afford a bit more. Finally secured one today for a really good price.
Does anybody use one of these regularly? Any tips or comments about them?
Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A mate of mine had one a while back. He had it controlled by a TC Electronic G system with different drive pedals.
    It sounded great! The clean channel is perfect for pedals as it has a powerful strident tone.
    I actually preferred it with the drive pedals (a Suhr Riot was one) than with it's own lead sounds, although they were more than good enough. Impressive amp for what they sell at now.
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    Yeah I've heard good things about the clean channel being good with a decent overdrive going through it. The noise gate is a welcome addition. Could really do with one of them on the 5150
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I used to have one and loved it. All channels had amazing sounds I thought.
  • Monster amp, unused to use one until I joined a wedding band and started getting snarky comments. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried one out when I bought my JVM but the stupid contorl names put me off a bit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I quite liked these, I think it's a peavey xxx in different clothes? Or perhaps they're similar but different (like the satriani jvm). Good sounding though. 
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll report on what it sounds like when it arrives.

@ThePrettyDamned you're right in that its based on the Peavey XXX but there are some differences according to an interview I watched with Joe Satriani. I think they stole some circuitry from another Peavey Classic model for the clean channel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Motorhate said:
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll report on what it sounds like when it arrives.

@ThePrettyDamned you're right in that its based on the Peavey XXX but there are some differences according to an interview I watched with Joe Satriani. I think they stole some circuitry from another Peavey Classic model for the clean channel.
    Aye as the XXX was complete pants 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Really nice amps. Lead channel was based on the xxx with some (major) mods to smooth it out. Crunch was from a classic but has more gain in tap and the clean channel was ground up design specifically to take pedals. As I understand it, Joes main gain sounds were from using pedals and clean channel. He rarely used the gain channels. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

I tried one out when I bought my JVM but the stupid contorl names put me off a bit.
    Funnily enough, Joe Satriani has now switched to endorsing the JVM, albeit with some slight mods on the stock model.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Motorhate said:
    I tried one out when I bought my JVM but the stupid contorl names put me off a bit.
    Funnily enough, Joe Satriani has now switched to endorsing the JVM, albeit with some slight mods on the stock model.
    It's an interesting story how that came about. Might tell after a few beers. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited January 2017
    All I know is that, allegedly these are very heavy. Is this the case? 120w iirc 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Really nice amps. Lead channel was based on the xxx with some (major) mods to smooth it out. Crunch was from a classic but has more gain in tap and the clean channel was ground up design specifically to take pedals. As I understand it, Joes main gain sounds were from using pedals and clean channel. He rarely used the gain channels. 
    Yeah every rig rundown I saw was him Vox drives into the clean side. 
    Although I always got a great drive tone. 
    The only times I got compliments on my tone was through that amp. 

It's an interesting story how that came about. Might tell after a few beers. 
    Do tell, I'm intrigued now! =)

• DrJazzTap said:
    All I know is that, allegedly these are very heavy. Is this the case? 120w iirc 
    Yes, heavy in all senses of the word, the only profile player I know using one is Nili Brosh, solo and the Tony Macalpine band.

shes a bit good.
    Well, I used it in rehearsal today. Whoever said it was heavy wasn't kidding. It weighs a ton (for a head) and I can see my back is not going to thank me for that.

I tried it with my Jackson RR5 and BC Rich Mockingbird through a Korg tuner > Ibanez Tube Screamer > Boss Noise Gate. The clean channel is really ... clean. Exceptionally clean with almost no break up at all. Impressive but I was more interested in the other two channels.
    The green channel is just heaven - really nice usable gain which is great for chunky rhythm parts. Its a tamer and refined sound compared to the insane green channels on 5150 or 6506+ which I really like. Combined with the noise gate and tube screamer it gives a really tight, chunky, full ranged tone. This channel has been compared to a Marshall type high gain sound but to my ears (and compared to our other guitarist who was using a JCM 900) it was quite different to my ears.
    The red (or lead) channel was more like the red channel on the 5150 and 6505, although it was slightly more refined with a bit more mid range. Really nice and complimented the rhythm channel very well. The built in noise gate is handy but as I was using a noise gate pedal, this was turned to "0". I didn't use the effects loop as I've been told that its best to go direct into the amp with effects, unless I'm using modulation effects like chorus or flanger.

Pros
    Clean channel, surprisingly nice sounding compared to other clean channels
    Great high-gain rhythm sound when used in conjunction with a tube screamer

Cons
    It's heavier than the average head
    Chrome decor amp front has to go, its way over the top and I am not a fan of chrome, be it on bikes or guitar amps.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited January 2017
    Handy trick, if you are not using the fx loop for pedals, if you turn the send and return controls above 12'oclock the level will increase giving you a footswitchable boost on any channel.
    i used to set the channels to 
    Clean 
    Crunch
    Heavy
    all at roughly similar volumes then use the fx boost for solos. 

Btw the chrome comes off and makes the head look super mean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've heard that Satch used the Red for rhythm and Green for lead. 

I tried it and it defo makes your leads pop out, there is more than enough gain on either channel for anything. 
    Handy trick, if you are not using the fx loop for pedals, if you turn the send and return controls above 12'oclock the level will increase giving you a footswitchable boost on any channel.
    i used to set the channels to 
    Clean 
    Crunch
    Heavy
    all at roughly similar volumes then use the fx boost for solos. 

Btw the chrome comes off and makes the head look super mean. 
    I'll definitely give that a go. That sounds like a useful feature.

I'm also in the process of ordering a piece of checker plate to fit on the front (like the Triple XXX has) but will be spraying it matt black. That chrome seriously needs to go.