Music in shops

What's Hot
Every now and then, my local Morrisons plays something over their in-store muzik speakers that's surprising.

This morning, I heard "May You Never" by John Martyn. Who knew someone in a marketing department thought that that was the sort of thing shoppers would like to listen to? This shopper did, obviously, but I can't imagine there are many places that would.

Ever heard anything in a place like that (ie not a trendy mountain bike or clothes shop) that made you take notice?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Twice I've heard Cocteau Twins playing in DIY shops. 
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I went in to Screwfix the other day to return an item that I had ordered online- a torque wrench but they had sent the wrong size.
    The Stones 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' was playing in the in store music system.
    The grumpy salesperson was supremely disinterested in appreciating the irony of this.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22732

Sainsburys have a Christmas compilation which includes Gaudete by Steeleye Span. 

I love that track, I always have to pretend it's taking me ages to choose a bit of broccoli so I can listen to it right through.  Good job it's not as long as Freebird or something.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    A few years ago I was in Sainsbury's local at Mornington Crescent and they were playing David Gilmour's On An Island.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Every now and then, my local Morrisons plays something over their in-store muzik speakers that's surprising.

This morning, I heard "May You Never" by John Martyn. Who knew someone in a marketing department thought that that was the sort of thing shoppers would like to listen to? This shopper did, obviously, but I can't imagine there are many places that would.
    I once heard 'Sweet Little Mystery' by John Martyn in a branch of Next - which although it's a clothes shop, is about as mainstream as it gets.
  • Every now and then, my local Morrisons plays something over their in-store muzik speakers that's surprising.

I once heard 'Sweet Little Mystery' by John Martyn in a branch of Next - which although it's a clothes shop, is about as mainstream as it gets.
    Nice. My second favourite John Martyn song.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Heard a J.Dilla song played in a shop, first time I have ever heard one of his songs played while out shopping.  I must admit it did bring a smile to my face. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    edited January 2017

It would probably make me walk out of the shop, since I really can't stand that song and it's a bad one for getting stuck in my head so I would prefer not to hear it at all. This is a problem with music in public places - for everyone who loves something there's almost certain to be someone who hates it.

I did once hear something when I was in a charity shop which I Iiked so much I asked to buy the CD, but it wasn't for sale as it belonged to the manager… oddly I can't remember what it was now, although I can remember exactly which shop it was! I've more than likely got it now anyway given how much music I buy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    I heard Purple Haze in Morrisons a few months back