70s Strats

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Do people think it's worth paying slightly more for a Custom Shop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    As others have said, if you look for an early 80s Tokai or Greco, you'll probably get a much nicer guitar for much less money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Si_ said:
    compared to the 78 Strat - then a big yes - compared to say the 72 Strat then maybe discussion points for either but I'd still say C/Shop (new or used)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Si_ said:
    It depends on what you want out of it as well.

Old guitars can require work on them. You might have to rewire, or change tuners, or generally other bits and pieces that can go wrong. 

A custom shop should work off the bat. However, there is something very special about an old one if you get a good one..
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    In my experience, Custom Shop Strats are usually better than anything from the 70s. And buying used, often cheaper as well.

There is 'some' logic in saving vintage frets. My friend Ted Lee always did it when he refretted a pre-CBS guitar, as usually the higher frets were unworn and could be used to refret lower positions with original wire.
  • There's a 1979 all original 'natural' strat here £1295 http://thelittleguitarshop.com/electric-guitars/fender-gretsch-guild.html
    have you tried the K-Line Springfelds over at Coda Music? I have a lightly reliced 3TS sunburst with a medium U neck and it's beautiful to play. 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Thanks for the PMs and links, but since I'm in Australia, buying in the UK isn't really cost effective :)

tFB Trader
    Si_ said:
    Thanks for the PMs and links, but since I'm in Australia, buying in the UK isn't really cost effective :)

be careful now of buying out of Oz due to CITES - the seller has to ensure it has appropriate CITES certificate now for any guitar with rosewood on it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Si_ said:
    Would you still be wanting a '70s style?  That would probably be a custom build, although they do make quite a lot of the '68 to '71 style with the big headstock (but no bullet truss rod).
  • Si_ said:
    compared to the 78 Strat - then a big yes - compared to say the 72 Strat then maybe discussion points for either but I'd still say C/Shop (new or used)
    This. I've owned a few 70s strats and they can be great guitars. The problem with 70s Fender was not that they forgot how to build good guitars but that quality control effectively vanished as the decade went on.
    so a good rule of thumb is never buy one with playing it first.
    CS stuff, IMO, is universally good. If you plan to buy without trying, go CS. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    A quick shout in defence of 70s Strats - well good ones anyway. I have had mine since 1980 when I bought it SH for about £180. It's still my 'home' guitar and has had more use than anything else I have owned. Various folks have commented favourably. Yes it is quite heavy but very resonant and with a very fast neck. I wouldn't ever pay a lot for one as a 'vintage' instrument but I think discouting them all as dogs is an error. Mine has a rosewood board, vibrato, Wizard pickups and I stripped the off-white back to natural 30 odd years ago on a whim which I *think* opened up the sound some. So don't go bad mouthing my old lady, man ;-)
    I too have a 76 hard tail strat, Paid £175 for it about 1981. It has a dimarzio replacement in the bridge position. The three bolt neck got shimmed and tucked tight in the socket, the frets were dressed and eventually a 5 way switch replaced the original worn 3 way. At the time the weight didn't bother me because my other guitar was an Solid maple Aria LP type and also weighed a lot, I just got big wide leather straps (still have them) and all was good. I have played mine almost to the point of being a fretless wonder but it sings, is very stable in tuning and I wouldn't be without it.

Photobucket link warning
    http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/ESBlonde/Guitars/014.jpg
    http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/ESBlonde/Guitars/015.jpg

If you can make music with it, it's a good guitar but it's certainly not vintage. Wouldn't part with mine.

tFB Trader
    This. I've owned a few 70s strats and they can be great guitars. The problem with 70s Fender was not that they forgot how to build good guitars but that quality control effectively vanished as the decade went on.

I agree on this and it applies to Gibson and Fender - many are bad, but some are fine so yes check out a few - and as one or two have commented above, with a good refret and other tweaks, they can be brought to life - I sold a 75 Strat the other day with a good refret and players changes inc new trem block and 69 replica p/ups and it was a serious guitar in the end
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Why not buy a 70's Classic series? Looks like a 70's Strat but built well, sounds great and costs under £500 used. 

They are my favourite Fender guitars (other than custom shops)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Only early 70s which are different to later 70s - ie betterer!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>