How to toughen up me finger tips quick? Help.

stuagustuagu Frets: 334
So, used to gig every week, play all the time, but not so much as the years go by, havent done a gig for years. Iv now got a gig coming up in 2 weeks, now i rehearsed yesterday ( after not playing very much lately at all ) and boy are my finger tips soft! To the point where the skin was starting wear thru the top layer. So i now need to toughen up but obviously the more i play the more theyre sore. Is it just the usual little and often ? Any tips to toughen these sausages in double quick time ? Thnx :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Surgical spirit if they're not too ripped up. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited January 2017
    Years ago I used a product that I think was called New Skin when I needed to do some intensive practice for a new band. It's a bit like superglue IIRC.

It wasn't the spray on version 
    It's not a competition.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Superglue. But don't rub your fingers together. That would be bad. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Play til you bleed, then pour superglue in the holes. If it was good enough for SRV.....
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2017
    I tried surgical spirit back when I was a teen.... it didn't work. Superglue's a terrible plan... SRV must have deadened the pain with drugs (oh, wait). 

Two things: avoid washing your hands in the hours up to the gig, and try (if you can) to play with a light touch in the first half of the set. You simply can't do anything else. I have perma-soft fingertips and managed 3 shows in 24 hours this weekend.

Have fun!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Surgical spirit - continual dabbing to create callouses - my daughter is a ballerina -all the girls on point use it continually to toughen the skin on toes which get skinned and bleed
    there isn't really anything better
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Thank u kindly to all hwo replied. I will try the ss method i think , rather than the srv 'ethod ! Ouch !