Well these will split opinion I should imagine....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4183
edited January 2017 in Acoustics
Martin getting into the relicing biz....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    *sucks in through teeth*
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    They could have done with this a while back so they didn't lend a vintage guitar to The Hateful 8

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I don't think it will split opinion that much.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yeah, saw these snakeoil sellers in the video here - cringe -

nice little 000 - but that's ALL it is, one of the finest sounding 000's I've heard (on the net) is a fairly new Circa - non traditional mapel b/s and no one claims it's 'Authentically' a vintage vibe - it's a new build - good guitar.

note that in u'r vid Lewy they are actually saying that new guitars are - not desirable - all those sharp corners and so on

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    They could have done with this a while back so they didn't lend a vintage guitar to The Hateful 8
    Coffee in keyboard…

:)

Otherwise, just no.

Why bother anyway? Just lend your new guitar to a folkie for a couple of months.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    My opinion is now split, thanks OP
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Willie Nelson's "trigger" re-issue to be announced shortly at $8,999
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4183
    edited January 2017
    I quite like relicing on electric guitars...I guess I think there's something inherently facile about electrics that make me on board with the idea that it's just a cool finish option. For some reason the same thing on a D28 brings out a visceral negative reaction though. 

I also think that its an awful lot of effort for something that is still going to look wrong - as the light catches the top, you'll see that it doesn't have 80 years worth of distortion so if you've ever spent any time lovingly gazing at a real herringbone then it will immediately look like a phony.

Not that I would buy a new (relic'd or otherwise) '37 Authentic D28 because they seem disproportionately prone to needing early-in-life repair work and Martin's warranty terms are not great in the UK (and have worsened in the US too). 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7410
    It's absolutely true that old guitars have a sort of mojo about the way they look - it's just that over the years a looking at (electric) relics that I have only ever seen 1 (one !) that looked mojo-tastic - the rest looked reliced. And that's a look that has zero mojo. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    more so than electrics the real value of age on an acoustic is played in tone....what a load of fucking bollocks that video was
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    I have no problem if they want to do that and charge more. Not saying I'd buy one though. Some people need to get over themselves with the whole ageing thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Is it me, or did the Authentic D28 sound decidedly 'ordinary'?

Personally I'd rather buy a well played used one - playing them does alter the tone - putting a stained finish on the top won't give you that....

Personally I'd rather buy a well played used one - playing them does alter the tone - putting a stained finish on the top won't give you that....
    It did - although it can only respond to how it's played, which was also decidedly ordinary.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Did any of you Geezas manage to watch all 14 minutes all the way through? Be honest.

"It looks really old"

"Yep it took a long time"

"It has that old feel"

"You can't rush these things"

"It's just really cool the way it looks aged"

Snooze.  I think I know less about relic'ing acoustics than I did before I watched the video.
    thebreeze said:
    Did any of you Geezas manage to watch all 14 minutes all the way through? Be honest.

"It looks really old"

"Yep it took a long time"

"It has that old feel"

"You can't rush these things"

"It's just really cool the way it looks aged"

Snooze.  I think I know less about relic'ing acoustics than I did before I watched the video.
    I did soldier on but only because I assumed someone was going to play the fucking thing at some point ... and then it got 8 seconds of lacklustre flappy strumming. Gah!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Lewy said:
    and then it got 8 seconds of lacklustre flappy strumming.
    Sometimes that's all it takes ;)

I went outa my way to try an Authentic D28 - after all the booha over the pond - BIG disappointment - nothing there -
    and yeah - those salesmen guys - u wouldn't by a used car from them B)
    AliGorie said:
    I went outa my way to try an Authentic D28 - after all the booha over the pond - BIG disappointment - nothing there -
    and yeah - those salesmen guys - u wouldn't by a used car from them B)
    Well would it actually BE used or would it be a
    new one made to look that way? 
    ah Lewy  sorry it was a 'pretty' one £6k IIRC - meh
    I checked the strings - ok, just a big something missing from the guit, left scratching my head at what all that fuss was about.
    edited January 2017
    AliGorie said:
    ah Lewy  sorry it was a 'pretty' one £6k IIRC - meh
    I checked the strings - ok, just a big something missing from the guit, left scratching my head at what all that fuss was about.
    Was joking about the used car comment...not
    you trying a D28 Authentic :)