New old Strat thing

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
So, I've been thinking about getting a Stratocaster for ages, and picked this up quite cheap on eBay:

The seller says they had it properly set up, and it does indeed play well. Question is, how much of it is actually a Mexican Fender Strat? Is that a real Fender colour, and if so, what's it called? (It's a lot more beaten up in real life than it looks in the photos.)

The serial number dates it to 1996.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    If it plays nice and sounds good, don't worry about it. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Well, I'm not worrying about it, just curious!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    What does it look like under the pickguard?

That may give more of a clue, and possibly help explain that nasty scar that runs out from under it near the volume knob - or if it's like the one we're working on in the shop at the moment, scare the crap out of you when you see what's been done!

I could be wrong but I don't think the trem block is correct for a Mexican Fender, it looks like a cheap far-east one - the shape of the bridgeplate doesn't look quite right either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    The Mexican Standard originally had a tapered/thin trem block. This changed in the mid 2000s when they were upgraded spec wise. Obviously it's been modded pickup/knob wise and the pickguard is unlikely to be original. Removing the scratch to view the routing may well confirm if it's genuine Fender or not. The spacing/location of the screw holes on the rear for the trem cover look good.
    Here's some pix with the pickguard off. The humbucker says 'Made in Japan TU-3'. The saddles have Fender written on them.

Sorry, KU-3.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    Those three holes are typical of Mexican Strats.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I reckon Mex Strat that's had a refin, some new pups, pick guard, knobs and such. Judging by the wear on the end of the fretboard it had got tired and someone fancied sprucing it up. 

I might be totally wrong tho ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Yes, that's a real Mex Fender. The early ones must have had a worse bridge than I remember…

The neck and middle pickups appear to be original, the bridge is (I think) a Kent Armstrong.

No explanation for the scar, but at least it hasn't been hacked out for a humbucker too close to the bridge like the one we have in the shop!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good stuff, thanks. I suspect that the scar was made by a screwdriver in trying to remove the adjacent scratchplate screw. Its hole is stripped.

Do you think it's a refin, or is that an original Fender colour? If it is, it hasn't aged well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Stuckfast said:
    Good stuff, thanks. I suspect that the scar was made by a screwdriver in trying to remove the adjacent scratchplate screw. Its hole is stripped.

Do you think it's a refin, or is that an original Fender colour? If it is, it hasn't aged well.
    Yeah, someone being clumsy with a screw driver was my thought as well.

Hard to tell if it's a refinish. There's paint in all the CNC holes and routing so no obvious indication of refinish. Remove the neck, the neck pocket may give a clue. I can't find any details of colours available on Mexican models from the 90s.

The serial number means it could be 96 or 97. If it's 96 it should have a 50th anniversay sticker on the rear of the headstock.

You could try contacting Fender. They might well be able to provide a spec list (including colours) for the 96-97 Fender Mexican Standard models.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    I haven't seen a Mex of that age in Shoreline Gold before... plus there's normally shielding paint inside, so I'd imagine its been refinished.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    How cheap is cheap? That's the crux...
    £150, with a hard case.
    Admittedly, a hideous hard case.
    Worth every penny.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    This /|\
    impmann said:
    I haven't seen a Mex of that age in Shoreline Gold before... plus there's normally shielding paint inside, so I'd imagine its been refinished.
    Not sure when they introduced shielding paint, but quite a few 90's Mexican Standards didn't have any. There have been a number of upgrades to the Mexican standard spec over the years.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yep - cheap and good value even if it's a partsocaster or a refin.
    Octafish said:
    impmann said:
    Not sure when they introduced shielding paint, but quite a few 90's Mexican Standards didn't have any. There have been a number of upgrades to the Mexican standard spec over the years.
    Actually, yes you are right - especially the early ones didn't... but it looks like a refin to me.