2003-2006 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2

What's Hot
I'm looking for my first car and these seem to be cheap to buy and I've got some reasonable insurance quotes on them. However, my other half's step-dad does MOT tests and recommened I don't get one of these as they have a lot of bad problems now. I'm also being told by other people around my age though, who have either owned or know someone who has owned one, that you don't get a lot of bad problems with them and that they're sound.

Has anyone on here had a 2003-2006 Corsa 1.2 or know about their reliability? I don't wanna buy one and end up having to spend a fair bit on repairs in the furture.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    All I know is my Mum's had one for about 8 years and while it's extremely dull it hasn't given any major problems.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    From the Honest John review - "Generally a reliable little car with few faults reported for the large volumes sold."  @stickyfiddle is right, they are soporifically bland to drive, but your first car gets you a few years' no-claims and then you can move on if you're that bothered. 

Corsa's have, or did have, a reputation of being about the most cheaply insured cars on the planet so I can see why you're leaning that way.  Did your partner's step-dad offer any advice on what you *should* buy?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    The Corsa C is generally good. The 1.2 is a bit anaemic but they're well built for a small car. The Corsa C forum is a great place to find out about common faults etc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Can't speak for the Corsa but I have a 2007 Astra as my second car and it hasn't had any issues and has done 140k now
    We also had a Corsa B that did 140k before it died (variously passed between me, my mum and my sister for 12 years).

That was a brilliant car. Again, super dull (and faded pink) but it never missed a beat until its very last weeks.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    I've had two Corsa's from that era, both were reliable and cheap to run and they still seem pretty rust free. The main thing to watch is the timing chain, they tap and rattle when worn. If you're buying one take it for a long test drive and make sure the engine is hot to check the timing chain. The 1 litre ones seem worse for it than the 1.2 litre. They can snap when really worn.    
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited January 2017
    The silver ones are good.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    ronnyb said:
    I've had two Corsa's from that era, both were reliable and cheap to run and they still seem pretty rust free. The main thing to watch is the timing chain, they tap and rattle when worn. If you're buying one take it for a long test drive and make sure the engine is hot to check the timing chain. The 1 litre ones seem worse for it than the 1.2 litre. They can snap when really worn.    
    I'd add that this is good advice for all cars that have chain-driven cams (like my Focus) - if the tensioner's buggered (like mine is) it'll cost a few quid to repair (like mine's going to). 

It's a funny, metallic tinkling noise that you'll notice with the bonnet up, engine idling, often when cold.  It'll also do it at certain engine speeds when driving.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    I've got a 2003 1.2SXi that I've had for nearly 8 years - in that time it's blown two oil pressure sensors, one crankshaft sensor, three out of four coil springs have needed replacing, the front brakes squeal from time to time (it's had discs and pads a couple of times) and the clutch judders when moving from a standstill now and again (which according to a couple of forums isn't that unusual).

I've run it low on oil once or twice but seemingly done no harm and it's still going ok after 143,000 miles.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited January 2017
    I had 2 of the predecessors - Vauxhall Nova.
    Neither of them were new when I owned them - one was 9 years old and I ran it for 3 years.
    Mechanically they were both rock solid. I think the Corsa is a good bet for a low cost car. 
    exocet said:
    I had 2 of the predecessors - Vauxhall Nova.
    Neither of them were new when I owned them - one was 9 years old and I ran it for 3 years.
    Mechanically they were both rock solid. I think the Corsa is a good bet for a low cost car. 
    Don't start on Novas. My Dad has had about 12  of them as rally cars... They're bloody good though, to be fair
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Its your first car, its supposed to be shit.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Its your first car, its supposed to be shit.
    The first car I drove, passed test in it and used regularly after my test, was a Citroen AX GT.  It's been downhill from there, and it remains the only car I miss to this day, but given they're now going for £8K for a decent example with plenty of miles, I might have to leave it be
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    To give you some balance... 

My current 2010 megane is a 1.5 diesel, 6 years old, always driven with care, cared for, ie all the tyres match, are properly inflated and liquid levels always checked.. yada yada, all the easy maintenance shite we can all do!

Its serviced properly by renualt each year etc etc. 

Its so far blown one engine at around 15k miles (cambelt?) the pistons seized so it needed a new engine. Luckily Renault replaced the entire lump free of charge because that shit just should not happen! 

Its steering wheel clicks when you turn it which is just annoying and never used to happen, but its happened.. 

its coolant has been pissing out of a schrader valve for the past 2 years (screwing a metal dustcap instead of plastic on has almost plugged it), but I'm pretty sure that the valve is faulty as surely a plastic dustcap alone isnt supposed to keep your coolant from bleeding out? 

And this week its decided to have intermittant power issues. Possibly related to ESP but unsure as the light that flashes up only does so for a split second..... Anyway it gets to 50 just fine, but beyond that its a gamble what happens when you put your foot down! 

My mum had a VW beetle, the newer but not the latest shape. 
    Absolutely laden with issues. German cars are usually good.. 

My old mk1.5 focus was great except its engine light being on permanently. It could have been a lambda sensor or the cat. Thats as far as my troubleshooting went before I scrapped it for a mk2.5 focus.. which was also great. Shitty mileage for fuel though considering it was a 1.6ltr. Heavy old lump it was n thats possibly why..  but drove nice. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Next time I plan to buy something air cooled, old thats not rusty but old enough to be exempt from tax and with as little electrics and plumbing as possible... 

i'll then buy a haynes manual and that should be the most relaible and cheap car I'd have ever owned! 

Failing that I'll buy a nice pair of hiking boots..
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited January 2017
    Cheers for the replies everyone. It seems like they might actually be alright. Or at least as alright as any other car of that age or price!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I'd get one over a Renault Clio anyway. My first car was a mk3 Clio and it had no end of electrical issues, although I checked the registration last week and apparently it is still on the road.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I had a 2005 1.2 Corsa and it drove like a fucked shopping trolley and let water into the passenger footwell and boot (a friend's did this too), and I'm glad to be rid of it.

In its defence, it didn't have any major mechanical failures and got through MOTs fine, although I only ended up doing a couple of K per year in it as I got given a company car very shortly after buying it, and I ended up spending less per mile for personal usage on the company car than in the Corsa.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Has anyone got any recommendations for a good first car which will obviously be cheap to insure, won't cost more than £1500 and won't cost me a bomb getting it fixed over the next 2 years? I've shortlisted it down to a the Corsa C, Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta & Citroen C2