2003-2006 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VW Polo or Fox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    VW Polo or Fox.
    Insuring either would be expensive as a first car. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    edited January 2017
    My commuting car is a 2011 1.4 Corsa that I've had from new.  Serviced once a year - never had a single problem. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Ben8010 said:
    Has anyone got any recommendations for a good first car which will obviously be cheap to insure, won't cost more than £1500 and won't cost me a bomb getting it fixed over the next 2 years? I've shortlisted it down to a the Corsa C, Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta & Citroen C2
    I'd take the Fiesta out of that list. Fun to drive, cheap to run and fix and there's loads of parts in scrapyards if things get really bent out of shape. 

A friend of the family has a Suzuki Swift, they look nice but the brakes are a known weak spot and spares are on the pricey side. 
  • My local garage said exactly the same, but still said they were good as a first runaround. 

Ultimately, they recommended fiestas from 99-2006 ish (covers two shapes I think). But every car has its problems. Especially with age. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    boogieman said:
    Ben8010 said:
    Has anyone got any recommendations for a good first car which will obviously be cheap to insure, won't cost more than £1500 and won't cost me a bomb getting it fixed over the next 2 years? I've shortlisted it down to a the Corsa C, Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta & Citroen C2
    I'd take the Fiesta out of that list. Fun to drive, cheap to run and fix and there's loads of parts in scrapyards if things get really bent out of shape.
    I'd second this - the Ford will be a better steer.

To be honest, anecdotal evidence of the 'I had one of those, after 18,000 miles it wouldn't start and turned my legs green' variety is less use than checking out sites like Honest John, and the marque-specific forums.  You'll probably find there's not much in it.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Also Fords have a MASSIVE scene. Could point you to a few forums.. 

The benefits of that are a lot of people kmow them inside out and how to fix or atleast accurately narrow down any issues. 

+ yeah the spares and stuff are in abundance. 

Nowt is cheap having a garage do it though. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Don't buy a mk2 punto unless you like welding or paying for welding, guess what mine had done today. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    What about the Yaris, Japanese reliabiltity well built, comfortable, economical. Just look a bit old mannish.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    ronnyb said:
    What about the Yaris, Japanese reliabiltity well built, comfortable, economical. Just look a bit old mannish.
    Cheap to insure as well. 
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    @strtdv What year Clio was it?

@RobDavies I've had some decent insurance quotes on a Polo so I'm not too worried about that. I'm old enough for insurance premiums to not be a serious issue

Once again thanks for the input everyone. It helps when you're as indecisive as me.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747

Cheap to insure as well. 

You're never likely to get stop checked in a Yaris so you don't need to bother with insurance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A 2000 something Corsa was my first car and the immobiliser went on me and I had to get it replaced, that was the only problem I had with it.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2437
    @Ben8010 it's a 2003

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    I had a Corsa as my first car. Fine to drive, but my first year insurance cost me £2200. I was told its considered a boy racer car?