Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wheelchair user takes precedence over a mother and two babies in a double-buggy?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:

This should clearly be left to common sense and not dragged through the courts.
    We have courts because we have common sense - which is essentially a heady mix of hindsight, ignorance of statistics and wishful thinking.

Probably one of the most perfect sentences I've seen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    The Judgment also says it must be dealt with on a case by case basis. That would suggest modifying the approach to fit each set of moving goalposts, err, possible examples.
    Well thats fucking stupid as well. Im sure the supreme mega super court of justice has better things to be doing. This should clearly be left to common sense and not dragged through the courts.
    "Dragged through the courts" is a phrase usually used by people who don't realise that it's the disputes between the parties that leads them to the court, and it's the parties who cannot find a way to compromise.

If anything it's one or both parties in the dispute who push it into the courts. And if the issue is considered to be of sufficient importance (such as the interpretation of an Act of Parliament that would affect anyone in the jurisdiction) then the Supreme Court is able to hear the matter.

If it is not that important, then the buck stops at the Court of Appeal.

So while you might think it a waste of time for the SC to hear the appeal, the litigation, started way further down the court ranks, has actually affected every single bus company and their drivers, every disabled person who uses a bus and every buggy user who uses a bus.

That's a lot of people across the entire country. So the SC was doing exactly what it is there to do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Why or how did such nonsense ever reach the courts?  And why did not some other passenger(s) get off the bus [and wait there for the next bus to arrive] to facilitate both the wheelchair user and the mother with her babies?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    Rocker said:
    Why or how did such nonsense ever reach the courts? 
    See Fret's post just before yours. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Why or how did such nonsense ever reach the courts?  And why did not some other passenger(s) get off the bus [and wait there for the next bus to arrive] to facilitate both the wheelchair user and the mother with her babies?
    You have met other humans, right?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7757
    Chalky said:
    'Wheelchair v buggy': Man wins Supreme Court case - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38663322

The court said "The company should consider some further step to pressurise the non-wheelchair user to vacate the space, depending on the circumstances, it said."

This is daft. Firstly, mothers with babies in double-buggies use the same space on the bus. The idea that an adult wheelchair user on a freezing windswept night can demand that a young mother with two babies can be ejected from a bus is not the right answer. Secondly, there is nothing more the bus driver can do other than ask the mother and babies to get off the bus - the bus driver has no power beyond that.

As a bus driver said to me, no way is he going to try to eject a mother and babies from him bus - his family would disown him!
    She wasn't asked to get off the bus, she was asked to move to allow the wheelchair user the space provided for wheelchair users (which is available for buggies etc. if there is no wheelchair user on the bus).

The open space exists due to the efforts of wheelchair users and their friends/supporters to get legislation put in place that would allow them access to public transport.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited January 2017
    Paul_C said:
    Chalky said:
    'Wheelchair v buggy': Man wins Supreme Court case - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38663322

The court said "The company should consider some further step to pressurise the non-wheelchair user to vacate the space, depending on the circumstances, it said."

This is daft. Firstly, mothers with babies in double-buggies use the same space on the bus. The idea that an adult wheelchair user on a freezing windswept night can demand that a young mother with two babies can be ejected from a bus is not the right answer. Secondly, there is nothing more the bus driver can do other than ask the mother and babies to get off the bus - the bus driver has no power beyond that.

As a bus driver said to me, no way is he going to try to eject a mother and babies from him bus - his family would disown him!
    She wasn't asked to get off the bus, she was asked to move to allow the wheelchair user the space provided for wheelchair users (which is available for buggies etc. if there is no wheelchair user on the bus).

The open space exists due to the efforts of wheelchair users and their friends/supporters to get legislation put in place that would allow them access to public transport.

Spaces for pushchairs existed on some bus designs before they were revised and enlarged for wheelchairs on later designs.  There is no extra space beyond the wheelchair space on the designs in my area.
  • I  don't think it was daft at all. Reading the full judgement provided by @fretmeister I agree with the result.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• I'm surprised nobody has commented that the wheelchair user probably wasn't using it by choice, whereas having babies is often somewhat more of a life choice
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Chalky said:

What? That a wheelchair user wanted to use a space designated for wheelchair users? What's daft about that?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Chalky said:

What? That a wheelchair user wanted to use a space designated for wheelchair users? What's daft about that?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Sporky said:

This should clearly be left to common sense and not dragged through the courts.
    We have courts because we have common sense - which is essentially a heady mix of hindsight, ignorance of statistics and wishful thinking.
    Bang on.
  • Fretwired said:
    Chalky said:

Isn't it pretty clear that the space on the bus is designated for wheelchair users, and for parents with buggies unless a wheelchair user requires it? The rules are set out pretty clearly. I think the judgement was right.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    In my experience a folded buggy only reduces its size (footprint) by about a 3rd, it doesn't exactly disappear, and then you have a child or two to deal with who were in the buggy, so net neutral really.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    But those three things can be arranged in more convenient ways.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • The Judgment also says it must be dealt with on a case by case basis. That would suggest modifying the approach to fit each set of moving goalposts, err, possible examples.
    Well thats fucking stupid as well. Im sure the supreme mega super court of justice has better things to be doing. This should clearly be left to common sense and not dragged through the courts.
    "Dragged through the courts" is a phrase usually used by people who don't realise that it's the disputes between the parties that leads them to the court, and it's the parties who cannot find a way to compromise.

If anything it's one or both parties in the dispute who push it into the courts. And if the issue is considered to be of sufficient importance (such as the interpretation of an Act of Parliament that would affect anyone in the jurisdiction) then the Supreme Court is able to hear the matter.

If it is not that important, then the buck stops at the Court of Appeal.

So while you might think it a waste of time for the SC to hear the appeal, the litigation, started way further down the court ranks, has actually affected every single bus company and their drivers, every disabled person who uses a bus and every buggy user who uses a bus.

That's a lot of people across the entire country. So the SC was doing exactly what it is there to do. 
    That *is* a lot of people and to conclude that everything has to be decided on a case by case basis doesn't seem to be a very good use of all that resource. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    It's not just case-by-case.

It is case-by-case-within-a-set-framework.

That is pretty obvious from the judgment.
  • Do you have a link to it?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    It's on page one of this thread @PolarityMan ;

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The daft part is not the use of the space for wheelchairs - the daft part is the concept that a bus driver has to eject a mother and baby from the bus on which they are riding if a wheelchair user just happens to be at the next stop.  Solve the wheelchair users problem by making it a problem for a mother and baby?  A problem that the mother cannot foresee or control except by not using a bus ever?

But from what I read it seems several people on here would turf mothers and babies off buses at the side of the road without a second thought.  Jesus wept.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom