Have you heard of or used this guy? (The GuitarShed, in Derbyshire)

I came across this chap on Google who happens to be only a mile or so from me ;-

http://www.theguitarshed.co.uk/guitar-setups

Does anyone know anything about this chap? I've walked by this address many times which appears to be a private house. I'm guessing its basically a guitar enthusiast taking things seriously. The thing is that his prices are very reasonable if he has any idea what he's doing. A 'full service' including things like fret levelling and dressing, nut replacement and even new strings thrown in - all for £50 ?  It sounds too good to be true so either it is or it looks like the guy deserves much custom!

What does the panel think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    I don't know of him - but that doesn't mean good or bad - He is fairly local to me and I might know him if I met him, but by the name 'Guitar Shed' it rings no bells at this stage - sorry - I can't help further
    Ask him to show you some of his work - chat to him and try and find out what he is about - caliber of work done and caliber of guitars he has worked on
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Well, if he has a trade account, strings are @£2.50, but that is still very cheap for the amount of work. Maybe he has another job or virtually no overheads. 
  • Website says he works from the garden shed... so I guess overheads are low.

The £50 service is actually two services! You get the platinum service... then a free bronze service the next time.

Seems incredibly cheap. If his work's good, seems like a bargain.

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited January 2017
    Might be 4 years ago, but the tech I used in Northern Ireland worked from home - was an old guy who used to work in London going setups and builds.  Charged £40 for setup inc fret dress.  He did a full re-fret on my PRS for £120, and a setup, fret dress and PU/loom swap on a 335 for £65.  His work was outstanding - better than placed Ive been two charging a LOT more.

Cost -high or low - is no guide to quality.

Basically the chap I used was retired, wasnt making a living at his guitar work - he did it for teh love.  As long as he covered his costs (materials and things like electric to his workshop) he was happy.