Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Katana combo ........which one 50 or 100 ???

What's Hot

Comments

• Spikeedog said:
    The head has a mini speaker in it for practice

Indeed it does. I might have to try it out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I'm considering getting one of these - I could release quite a bit of cash by selling some of my pedals and my AC15 and replacing it with a Katana head and small cab. 

I kind of hope they release a mini head and cab for home practice. I'd be well into that. 

The current model head isn't that big TBH.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Well, I just bought the 50w and I have to say that it's a little cracker,cleans up nicely on the guitar volume and is a joy to use and for £169 you can't complain 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    I'm very tempted. I need a new toy to play with.

I'd rather have the 100, but it looks like they're out of stock everywhere. The fx loop would be useful - if only for a looper or my Trio.

I'm also a little torn between the Katana and the Vox AV30/60.  It looks great too.  And I'd enjoy the Spider V, I think - for all the toys and the acoustic stuff.

Hmmmm....
    Get the head, it's still cheap for what it is and you can experiment with cabinets.  Mines pretty visceral thru a 4 x 12. I need to figure out how all the midi works as I keep 'losing' class sounds I stumple on.
  • Agree. I'll need to buy the expensive footswitch.... Unless someone can make one.
    Footswitch costs less than more pedals and gives access to loads of cool stuff inside the K.
  • So the 50 doesn't have the presence control that the 100 does... does anyone know if you can adjust the presence on the 50 though the boss software via USB?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• So the 50 doesn't have the presence control that the 100 does... does anyone know if you can adjust the presence on the 50 though the boss software via USB?
    i haven't done it but,yes.
  • GrahamG said:
    So the 50 doesn't have the presence control that the 100 does... does anyone know if you can adjust the presence on the 50 though the boss software via USB?
    i haven't done it but,yes.
    Thank you @GrahamG ;

I have literally just tried a 50w version this morning for the first time, its a great sounding combo. Perfect for what I need. Definitely picking on up in the next few weeks

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• andyoz said:
    Footswitch costs less than more pedals and gives access to loads of cool stuff inside the K.
    Yes but I've already got a peda l board that covers all the numbers I do in a couple of bands. Also, I'm not sure the amp effects are as good as I hoped tbh. I've not tried via effects loop but the usually makes a big improvement too. So it would be footswitch AND pedal board.
  • Spikeedog said:
    Agree. I'll need to buy the expensive footswitch.... Unless someone can make one.
    Don't think that's going to happen, there's a lot going on in there (per discussion on TGP, not a personal observation), it's not just an assembly of case, switches and jacks.
  • OK Just ordered one!
  • Enjoy! :)

Does anybody else find these amps very, er, "in your face"?

I've tried a 100w twice now and, maybe it's me, but there was something very "flat" or "hard" about the sound, I couldn't dial it out.

Than I go back to my valve Marshall and all's good again.

It had a lot of different sounds, really good quality, I think perfect for gigging, but... fuck I can't describe it properly...

I'm knocking it, I think it's a great tool, but for a home player, I don't think it would be very inspiring.  I can get a sound with my Marshall at home and forget time and have a great time. Maybe I had the Katana dialed in wrong (don't think so) but I walked away twice feeling nah.

Maybe I'll buy one when they're back I stock and try it over a couple of days at home with my own cab...

• They're good for gigs. A bit of a compromise on the sound if you're used to powerful valve heads but reliable, cheap, light, simple and effective. As I always say to anyone who will listen, " You can have anything you want.... But you can't have everything."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    So I'm all but set on a Katana 50w, but have the chance to buy a Blackstar HT-5 for £130. I'm buying for the purpose of practising at home but perhaps gigging in the future. The Katana is great as it would be loud enough for small gigs and has the great set of effects on board, but hnnng the valves. What to do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still not sure why people have so many issues with the concept of paying £80 for a really well made footswitch.  We regularly pay >£100 for some pedals in dodgy cases?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    clarkefan said:
    Enjoy!

Does anybody else find these amps very, er, "in your face"?

I've tried a 100w twice now and, maybe it's me, but there was something very "flat" or "hard" about the sound, I couldn't dial it out.

Than I go back to my valve Marshall and all's good again.

It had a lot of different sounds, really good quality, I think perfect for gigging, but... fuck I can't describe it properly...

I'm knocking it, I think it's a great tool, but for a home player, I don't think it would be very inspiring.  I can get a sound with my Marshall at home and forget time and have a great time. Maybe I had the Katana dialed in wrong (don't think so) but I walked away twice feeling nah.

Maybe I'll buy one when they're back I stock and try it over a couple of days at home with my own cab...

Yeah, it is a bit in your face...that's the best part IMO!

I normally have the mid and treble wound back a bit, play with the presence too but yeah it's the general 'In Ya Face' sound that Boss tech guys have mentioned on forums that they were aiming for...they've succeeded anyway.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Fair enough, and I can see it being very useful for live work.

I'm just a bit concerned it would get tiring very quickly.  It's the kind of "hardness" that's always put me off SS amps.

Like I said, it's good enough to deserve a trial run at home with a cab I like.  The sounds available are great, and I didn't even check out the fx, just a quick flick of delay and reverb.
    It gets interesting when you play with chorus etc.  Some really lush sounds in there amongst the Marshall style mayhem.