Tele saddle

More help needed good people of FB.

I put a genuine Fender three brass saddle bridge on my MIM tele a few weeks ago. Looks great, but it seems to have affected the B string a little. From what I can see (and I could be wrong) the string seems to be catching the screw with which you adjust the height of the saddle. 

Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Could I make a little groove for the string to sit in?

Any help greatly appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    More help needed good people of FB.

I put a genuine Fender three brass saddle bridge on my MIM tele a few weeks ago. Looks great, but it seems to have affected the B string a little. From what I can see (and I could be wrong) the string seems to be catching the screw with which you adjust the height of the saddle. 

Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Could I make a little groove for the string to sit in?

Any help greatly appreciated
    File a shallow groove on the back of the saddle - best avoid the top as it can create sitar-like overtones, if done badly.

• File a shallow groove on the back of the saddle - best avoid the top as it can create sitar-like overtones, if done badly.
    Thanks Richard. Sorry - I don't follow. The underside of the saddle? How would that help prevent the string from muting itself on the screw? Sorry if I am being slow....
    Placidcasual79 said:
    Thanks Richard. Sorry - I don't follow. The underside of the saddle? How would that help prevent the string from muting itself on the screw? Sorry if I am being slow....
    No - the string passes over the saddle and through a hole in the bridge. If you file a shallow groove where the string touches the saddle - but not on the top, it will hold the string in place when it's under tension.
  • Placidcasual79 said:
    No - the string passes over the saddle and through a hole in the bridge. If you file a shallow groove where the string touches the saddle - but not on the top, it will hold the string in place when it's under tension.

I am sorry Richard. I really appreciate your advice but I am not following...... your suggesting filling a groove almost at the back of the saddle before the string goes through the body of the guitar......

Apologies if I am not getting you Richard.
    Placidcasual79 said:
    I am sorry Richard. I really appreciate your advice but I am not following...... your suggesting filling a groove almost at the back of the saddle before the string goes through the body of the guitar......

Yes - exactly that.

To help you visualise it - you should be holding the file at about 45 degrees, so the groove (looking at the saddle from the playing position) is at 1.00-2.00 o'clock (12.00 being the top - where the string runs off the saddle, towards the neck).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Put threaded steel saddles on. They work better and sound better.

;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :). Otherwise, what richardhomer said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Placidcasual79 said:

Yes - exactly that.

To help you visualise it - you should be holding the file at about 45 degrees, so the groove (looking at the saddle from the playing position) is at 1.00-2.00 o'clock (12.00 being the top - where the string runs off the saddle, towards the neck).

Got you. Thanks @richardhomer - sorry I was a bit slow off the mark there!!! What sort of file would I need to make a groove in brass?
    Placidcasual79 said:
    Got you. Thanks @richardhomer - sorry I was a bit slow off the mark there!!! What sort of file would I need to make a groove in brass?
    Just a small, tapered three-cornered one. You don't need to cut very deep - less than half the thinkness of the string should suffice - just enough for the string to 'click' into when you slide it across the saddle. May sure the groove is not rough, or has any burrs on it, as there's a risk you'll break strings as a result.
  • Placidcasual79 said:
    Just a small, tapered three-cornered one. You don't need to cut very deep - less than half the thinkness of the string should suffice - just enough for the string to 'click' into when you slide it across the saddle. May sure the groove is not rough, or has any burrs on it, as there's a risk you'll break strings as a result.

Thanks again. I might ask some one to do this as I don't have the tools and have never attempted anything like this before....

I know a Luthier who might help.......
  • Sorry - just to add - thanks @richardhomer for taking the time to give me a steer. Appreciate it mate!
    Sorry - just to add - thanks @richardhomer for taking the time to give me a steer. Appreciate it mate!
    You're welcome. Hope you get it sorted.
  • @richardhomer I attempted to make a small groove for the string to sit in. I used a Stanley knife and it worked a treat - the string sits perfectly and is stable - it hasn't affected the intonation at either so I am really pleased.

Thanks again!
    @richardhomer I attempted to make a small groove for the string to sit in. I used a Stanley knife and it worked a treat - the string sits perfectly and is stable - it hasn't affected the intonation at either so I am really pleased.

Thanks again!
    Great - glad it worked. Basic guitar maintenance/set up is pretty straight-forward. There's no need to pay someone to do most things....

• Great - glad it worked. Basic guitar maintenance/set up is pretty straight-forward. There's no need to pay someone to do most things....
    Yes - I guess its a matter of confidence, and there is great help and advice available on here too. I feel more attached to this guitar now I've put my own bridge and plate on it.

I wonder if its difficult to change the jack?