Best Strat project pick ups

What's Hot
Hi folks. 
I am new to the pages - thanks for having me!
Wondering what your suggestions for pick ups are for a Strat project. I already have assembled a Japanese Fender neck, Squier body with unspecified Squier p'ups.
They are very noisy at performance volume and rather "plastic". Can you recommend any replacements??

Also, what are peoples thoughts on the Eric Johnson tone mod?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    With anything like this it depends on your budget, I've seen sets of Bareknuckles go for £100-120, these are a very good pickups  indeed. If your body is routed for a humbucker n the bridge one option is to drop a standard humbucker in there, new scratchplate would be £12, so you have options
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Mojo.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Rio Grande Midbottom set (or any of their strat sets, frankly). They're astonishingly underrated.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Im a fan of Bare Knuckles and Creamery pickups,  my favourite combo is Bare Knuckle Mothers Milks at Neck and Middle, with a Creamery Strat size P90 at the bridge, wired so the second tone is on the bridge pickup....my Strat heaven....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    My fave strat pups are Kinman noiseless. Pretty expensive though
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The Area series from DiMarzio. Sound great and noiseless
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Welcome @BobTheSalmon but there's something fishy about you...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    edited January 2017
    Ash's Oil City Stone Tones are magnificent and VERY reasonable at less than £120 for the set delivered.  Vintage hot output.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    It really depends on your budget. At the cheaper end Toneriders are great value for money. Some of the other suggestions up there ^  are good too. Fender Custom 69s are personally the nicest Strat pickups I've heard, but they're not cheap. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Fender 69s or 54s are lovely pickups for the strat but I'd check the stone tones out by Oilcity too. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    StoneTones in my MJT. Lovely stuff from Ash in general.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    I've got a set of Bare Knuckle pat pend slab boards going spare if they're of interest?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I've played around with quite a few Fender pups CS 69s, CS 65s, CS Texas Specials and Fat 50s, but I keep coming back to the Seymour Duncan SSL1. A classic great sounding quality pickup, can still be had for under £50.

Also check out Axesrus. They're great value and are flogging off some their old lines at the moment. Their 50's style set (Daddy-O's) are only £50 a set at the moment and they sound great  http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-DaddyOs-Single-Coil-Pickups-p/do50.htm

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    edited January 2017
    Oil City def worth checking out. Have some 55s in my Strat and love 'em.

Ash is on here as @TheGuitarWeasel  so if you've any questions have a talk to him.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    McToot said:
    Ash's Oil City Stone Tones are magnificent and VERY reasonable at less than £120 for the set delivered.  Vintage hot output.  
    Yup. I've got a set in my Strat and they are very nice indeed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Iron Gear are a good budget option too, punching far above their cost, go for the overwound option though for best results if ypu choose Pig Irons......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    Another vote for Irongear if you're on a budget. If you're a bit flush, then Bareknuckle.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I've had loads of strat pups and you can get very caught up in them as I found... 

My favourites are 
    Bulldog texas floods
    Kent Armstrong tweed tones
    Iron gear pig irons
  • There is no real answer, the inetraction with instrument and Pick up is significant is a Strat.  The unaffordable answer is to try a few and find out which suits the particular guitar best.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs are lovely 'vintage' sounding pick-up. Not remotely harsh - yet still bright and clear.