How is the conservatism of guitarists limiting the innovation within the market?

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    There is quite a bit in the more modern end of the market, which isn't what a lot of this forum is about.

extended range, "ergonomic", fanned frets, true temperament etc. Big changes to fundamental construction details that bring new hardware and shapes with them.

things like evo frets or new nut materials are a pretty big innovation.  Two way truss rods even more so.  

You our have to give Gibson credit, they have tried to innovate over the years

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    There's loads of innovation.

Why only the other day I used an unwound fourth string- beat that.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Gassage said:
    There's loads of innovation.

Why only the other day I used an unwound fourth string- beat that.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    @fretmeister a metal clarinet would probably still sound like a clarinet. The thing that makes a clarinet sound like a clarinet is the internal bore profile and the single reed mouthpiece. 

For most woodwind (and brass) instruments material is a secondary effect at best. 

Just spoke to my Dad about this - Ex pro muso - both Clarinet and Sax - lifetime in the business etc - They still tell the story of a wood clarinet sounding warmer to a plastic/carbon based clarinet - play both, listen to both and the difference is audible - some more subtle than others better nevertheless still audible
    We've got a wood and plastic clarinet in the house as my daughter plays.

I can hear the difference - particularly in the initial attack of the note. But plastic clarinets were made to try and sound like wooden ones. That's why I was curious about a very different material.

Would a brass one sound like a soprano sax?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Jack_ said:
    I'm disappointed in guitar innovation to be honest, I figured by now guitars should be able to cook and clean, or at least gently massage my genitals while I'm playing.
    Build it and they will come!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It all got better when Hartley Peavey started making guitars and consistently due to machines. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    edited January 2017
    fandango said:

Cols said:

One of the principal drivers of mass market appeal is what the most popular artists are using.  Look at any list of top 10 guitarists, and I can virtually guarantee you that not one of them will have started their career after the 1980s.  That limits equipment popularity to what was available 30 years or more ago.  The problem is not one of guitarist conservatism, but the fact that there haven't really been any new guitar heroes for a long time.
    No new guitar heroes? Not sure I agree ... two to kick it off ...

Jack White
    John Petrucci
    Petrucci's been around for a while; I'm pretty sure he started in the mid-80s.  Jack White's more recent, but in terms of equipment he's as old-school as they come.  
  • Lots of great players, but I personally don't think we have had a real guitar hero changing the way everyone plays since Eddie Van Halen in the 70's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Would it be safe to say that the average player prefers curvy rather than pointy? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Guitarists are generally quite conservative, partly down to all the tones we love being created by old vintage gear. Hence high prices for vintage gear, and hard for anyone to really sell new gear that's different in large numbers. 
    PRS being the exception. 
  • @fretmeister a metal clarinet would probably still sound like a clarinet. The thing that makes a clarinet sound like a clarinet is the internal bore profile and the single reed mouthpiece. 

For most woodwind (and brass) instruments material is a secondary effect at best. 

Just spoke to my Dad about this - Ex pro muso - both Clarinet and Sax - lifetime in the business etc - They still tell the story of a wood clarinet sounding warmer to a plastic/carbon based clarinet - play both, listen to both and the difference is audible - some more subtle than others better nevertheless still audible

I can hear the difference - particularly in the initial attack of the note. But plastic clarinets were made to try and sound like wooden ones. That's why I was curious about a very different material.

The Horniman Museum's (London) musical instruments section has a Turkish 'Klarnet' - basically a simple steel clarinet - no idea what it sounds like, though.

There's no image on that link but it looks like the one on the left here ...

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    You have to differentiate between innovation and improvement.

We have had any number of innovative things intorduced into the world of the guitar player, but how many of them have actually improved the lot of the guitarist? You can improve/modify/alter/faff around with any mhumber of things, but unless there is tangible benefit then, not being a community of fanbois, we tend to stick with the tried and trusted.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I need to know what Clarinet/Les Paul Junior playing @merlin has to say.......

And........ if he has heard that joke that has the punch line:
    "Don't worry Love....I can free your toe. But I am afraid I can't do anything for Acker Bilk"

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Cols said:
    fandango said:

Cols said:

One of the principal drivers of mass market appeal is what the most popular artists are using.  Look at any list of top 10 guitarists, and I can virtually guarantee you that not one of them will have started their career after the 1980s.  That limits equipment popularity to what was available 30 years or more ago.  The problem is not one of guitarist conservatism, but the fact that there haven't really been any new guitar heroes for a long time.

Jack White
    John Petrucci
    Petrucci's been around for a while; I'm pretty sure he started in the mid-80s.  Jack White's more recent, but in terms of equipment he's as old-school as they come.  
    First DT album came out to zero fanfare in 1989, they only really took off in the early 90s.

But ok, there's the whole Grunge thing. Cobain was massive in the 90s. Then there's Noel Gallagher and the britpop thing.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    fandango said:

Jack White
    John Petrucci
    I can't imagine loads of kids are pestering their parents for an electric guitar because of John Petrucci.

Hell, I've been playing for years and I genuinely have no idea who he is.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    how long has Jack white been around now - 15 years in the mainstream consciousness?

Its hardly recent!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    @fretmeister a metal clarinet would probably still sound like a clarinet. The thing that makes a clarinet sound like a clarinet is the internal bore profile and the single reed mouthpiece. 

The Horniman Museum's (London) musical instruments section has a Turkish 'Klarnet' - basically a simple steel clarinet - no idea what it sounds like, though.

There's no image on that link but it looks like the one on the left here ...

Ooo!

I want to see that in person now!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    You could say that the synth and electronic music market is equally limited by conservatism.

While computers could make almost anything possible, most of the actual commercial development in the field is in making software plugins or digital hardware that are ever-more-faithful emulations of classic analogue gear.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Is this like that last research project about digital being better than analogue?
    The one that went tits up?
  •  contemporary heroes being influenced by their heroes? I'll explain.... Slash (Les Paul user) lists one of his heroes/influences as Jimmy Page (Les Paul user) if you are influenced by slash perhaps you use an LP too. Before you know it 50+ years have passed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom