Ramen

What's Hot
Anyone ever made any?

The whole lot I mean - from making the broth from bones, onwards. 

If anyone has any tried and tested recipes please let me know.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I have had super noodles since my uni days, does that count?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    It's worth watching The Mind Of a Chef on Netflix for some ramen inspiration - the first series with David Chang
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I'll have a look, thank you.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I've done it with miso paste (veggie girlfriend, no meat in the broth, point of ramen is to cook most of it separately anyway). Anyway, it's basically like stir fried veg, pour on the broth/water, boil the noodles, cook the meat, bosh it all in a dish, eat with chopsticks, wonder why you ever spent £70 in a wagamama.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I make it sometimes when we've had a roast chicken. That's the first tip.
    Make the chicken stock from the bones and gummy bits of a roast, remove any skin, it has too much fat. Simmer for at least 40 mins, strain.
    From then on in it's basically soup. Usual ingredients off the top of my head:-
    finely Sliced red chiles,
    Pak Choi
    Bits of chicken that you stripped off the carcass before making stock.
    sliced Garlic
    very finely sliced Ginger (go easy!)
    Noodles.

Just add them to the stock (noodles last).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Hmm, not unlike many peasant dishes throughout the world. Makes me salivate for Spanish cocido. We do a chicken stock sometimes, though with the entire skinned chicken minus legs and wings. The stock gets warmed up with garlic, parsley, mint, then angel hair pasta is added and finally an egg is poached in the stock. The chicken legs and wings get fried / stewed with finely diced carrot, celery and leek for a another meal.

Makes me wonder if we can use the Spanish ham bones they sell for dogs in Asda, as that adds so much more flavour to the stock. My wife reckons not, but if it's vacuum-packed and safe for dogs then why not?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    I make variations on phố all the time, though it probably bears zero relation the way I do it.  Any decent basic stock plus a few select spices, fish sauce etc makes a tasty broth.  Chuck in some chili and mushrooms.  Cook prawns/fish/tofu/meat/whatever separately and put in your bowl with noodles, beansprouts, spinach, basil etc.  Poach an egg or two in your soup pan, throw in a handful of halved cherry tomatoes for a minute at the end and pour it over the contents of your bowl.

Add chili sauce and peanut oil to taste.  Some chopped coriander and a dash of lime juice and done.

That being said I like wagamama's quite a lot!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/steaming-ramen/

Give his one a try, over Christmas I saw a good video on Netflix or Amazon where a chef showed how he created his...but I can't find the bloody thing now.