• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Something Sabbath/Iommi-related then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Reissue Supergroup heads I suspect  
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    'tis as you said.

I've always liked Laney, never owned one of their amps though.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    And a rangemaster
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    Bidley said:
    'tis as you said.

I've always liked Laney, never owned one of their amps though.
    The LC and VC range are lovely as is the lion heart models. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited January 2017
    the laney reissue is so tempting!

• That video is quite cringe inducing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    That video is quite cringe inducing 
    The whole webpage is massively annoying.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of these in action quite soon though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How did they manage to make it sound so bad? 

If you want to sell the amp just play a clip of the song Black Sabbath.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited January 2017
    Yeah that sounds quite crap to me. I mean it does sound like Iommi, but I've never really been a massive fan of Iommi's tone apart from on the live Reunion album. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited January 2017
    Sounds better in the Laney vid than the Andertons effort. 

These look great and the whole story is great, but based on the sound clips I can understand why 99% of the 70s Rock world used Marshalls! These seem to have no balls or grind at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've always found it odd that Iommi is often described as having a 'big' or 'thick' tone - to me it's the exact opposite... a thin, needly tone - which is very obvious if you listen to just the guitar.

It's a *great* tone in the context of what he does with it, and you can tell that it's played at massive volume even on the records, but the heaviness in it is in his note choice, timing and the interplay with the bass - not the guitar sound itself.

It's telling that almost no-one apart from Iommi is famous for using them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    When I saw Sabbath it did surprise me how undistorted his guitar sound actually was. The real heaviness is the unison stuff with the bass. I think sometimes people make assumptions about Sabbath based on the bands they've influenced whereas if you go back to what they were doing originally there are elements of blues, jazz, classical, psychedelia, probably some Hank Marvin influence thrown in. 
    Im more interested in the TI Boost than the amps, I don't do anything like Iommi ( well, apart from having a West Midlands accent and dubious facial hair)but I do try to get a bit Rory Gallagher from time to time so a more controllable Rangemaster style boost might be good for that. Again, someone with quite a scratchy tone - obviously it's a thing I seem to like! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Some of the later Laneys were used for genre-defining sounds. 

Witchfinder General and Quartz used Kilpps 
    Paradise Lost and Anatheme used the linebackers early on
    Matt Pike used the AOR with Sleep and High On Fire
    Liz Buckingham used the AOR with both Sourvein and Electric Wizard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I love a bit of Witchfinder General. They all came from from within spitting distance of the Laney factory though so there might have been some kind of discount going on.
    I wondered if a young Brian Tatler had used Laney ( for the same reason) although looks like it was Marshall and later on ENGL. 
    Quite a few well know people used them at various points: Robert Plant ( he's well known, just not a well known guitarist), Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani come to mind. IIRC Joe's reason for giving up on Laney was that they couldn't offer the same world wide support he could get with Marshall or Peavey.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    My Supergroup was deadly past 4 on the volume. Quite a narrow range of highs and lows. It's pretty much a Superbass with Partridges innit. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Mastodon used the VH100R at one point I think as well. That's a much different amp/style than this Iommi one though.
    Lew said:
    My Supergroup was deadly past 4 on the volume. Quite a narrow range of highs and lows. It's pretty much a Superbass with Partridges innit. 
    Circuit-wise, yes - so either the Partridges sound very different, or there's something else which does - it could be a single component and still have a large effect, eg if it's the negative feedback resistor. I would need to check the schematics...

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Now, I like that *because* it doesn't sound like a typical "Marshall" tone.  It's got a very narrow and tight frequency range, that will be so easy to make work in a mix - and would layer nicely (much like the Brian May Deacy sound).

The thing about it is, a distinct lack of sustained notes - if you think about *early* Sabbath, there are a lot of notes that 'hang', often with a trill. Here, it almost sounds like the bias is wrong, or there is an aggressive noise gate. 

I'd like to hear one for myself - but having owned a Klipp 100w head that I remember being as loud as Satans bowel movements, I'd imagine it being as useful as cream cheese in a fuel tank for what I do.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I have an old supergroup. It's incredible clean and when wound up. I can't imagine the reissues will be dead on, supergroups run at crazy high voltage which is part of the sound. There's no way the reissues will be running as hot. I can't see the settings on these clips but a supergroup is like a plexi in that you can't run the bass past 2 without it getting farty when it's turned up.