Laney news

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I think that sounds pretty cool. But if you really wanted that sound, couldn't you pick up an original for much less?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Yea the originals are hard on valves. 500 - 600v. I imagine the reissues will be kinder. Had a 1k screen grid resistor put in mine. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Stuckfast said:

I think that sounds pretty cool. But if you really wanted that sound, couldn't you pick up an original for much less?
    Probably - although finding ones in good condition, both electrical and cosmetic, is difficult. Even if you get one in good condition that's not been messed around with it will almost certainly need a full overhaul, including all electrolytic caps replacing and some upgrading to make it safe/legal for gigging - and they are very hard on valves as already said. So a reissue could be a better bet if it sounds like the original and they're not wildly expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Those reissues look superb and very accurate, not sure about the sound going by the youtube clips, but thats youtube for you. Very authentic looking though.

re the originals a few vintage amp guys I know rate them very highly. The amps are not mega rare (got 2 behind me right now - not mine though), they are out there if you put them on your gear radar, but good luck finding the matching 4x12's.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    IMO Laney amps are hugely under-rated. I have a VC30-210 which is a lovely amp, as is my little Laney Cub 12R albeit the Celestion Rocket it came with was rubbish and the stock ruby tubes weren't great. A speaker change with a Vintage 30 and new JJ tubes transformed it though.  

I agree with the 'thin' comments re Tony Iommi's tone. Re other famous players and Laney I seem to recall an article stating that Knopfler used Laney's when recording 'Money for Nothing'.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Re other famous players and Laney I seem to recall an article stating that Knopfler used Laney's when recording 'Money for Nothing'.  
    I read it was a Les Paul & Marshall with a half cocked wah pedal.
    edited January 2017
    Voxman said:
    Re other famous players and Laney I seem to recall an article stating that Knopfler used Laney's when recording 'Money for Nothing'.  
    This was the article excerpt, with a link to the full article on the studio recording of the Brothers in Arms album.  The Marshall and cocked wah were used for live playing because they couldnt replicate what happened in the studio. Re Marshall I think Mark favoured a JTM45.  

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/69654-money-nothing-guitar-sound-happy-accident-sos-excerpt.html
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

This was the article excerpt, with a link to the full article on the studio recording of the Brothers in Arms album.
    I wonder which model of Laney? They don't say. In the 80s it could have been anything up to an AOR.

Personally I think it's an awful "tone" - what makes it special is the way the harmonics jump out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Just wish they would bin those cheap looking on / off switch labels and stick to engraving on the front plate. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Paul gilbert was a laney guy for a long time. Hes kinda famous too.. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Les Paul Junior, eh?

So not that flipping 'burst that all the dullards bang on about then...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Jetfire said:
    Paul gilbert was a laney guy for a long time. Hes kinda famous too.. 

Yeah,he got tremendous sounds from VC and GH heads and combos. 

Very responsive too. I really, really liked my old lh50 - it was a newer model with two channels,vintage/modern voice on the dirt and a global tone control which made dialing in so easy (dial in at home then use the global control to tame or brighten at each venue). 

The cleans were absolutely stellar. Drive was a bit uninspiring as I remember but I preferred heavier gain - the lh50 was more classic rock.nice and portable as well. 

Build quality internally is a bit questionable though apparently. 
  • Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    This was the article excerpt, with a link to the full article on the studio recording of the Brothers in Arms album.  The Marshall and cocked wah were used for live playing because they couldnt replicate what happened in the studio. Re Marshall I think Mark favoured a JTM45.  

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/69654-money-nothing-guitar-sound-happy-accident-sos-excerpt.html
    Interesting. Just done some googling and there seems to be some debate about it.

My 'knowledge' of it came from a Mark Knopfler interview in a guitar magazine in the mid 90's.
    edited January 2017
    Yes, I read that too.  But the sound guys and John Illsley are a much more reliable source that was documented with measurements, amp/mic type, amp/mic position.  Mark Knopfler really left it to the sound guys and in some interviews he admits he can't really remember how the MFN tone came about and was more interested in playing it. He also remembered using a Marshall JTM45 and a LP Standard but that version of Marshall wasn't even in the studio, and he later admitted it probably was the LP Junior.  So his memory is not reliable on this. If you listen to live versions and the album version, they are tonally quite different and you'll hear that the MFN studio tone is not a cocked wah but a more 'phased' 'lilty' type of sound as described in the article.  The cocked wah was a live solution, but not what was used in the studio.
    Well... I don't know what amps Iommi was using tonight - all you could se on stage were eight Laney 4x12"s - but his sound was absolutely massive. Still not 'thick', but a lot fuller than it sounds on the records.

Huge, epic, immense tone. Geezer Butler likewise... and Ozzy was on form too. Very, very good.

:)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Well... I don't know what amps Iommi was using tonight - all you could se on stage were eight Laney 4x12"s - but his sound was absolutely massive. Still not 'thick', but a lot fuller than it sounds on the records.

Huge, epic, immense tone. Geezer Butler likewise... and Ozzy was on form too. Very, very good.

When I saw them at download he sounded absolutely immense - proper wall of sound stuff. 

Looked like he had his sig amps up. Modified gh100ls? 

No idea what he's using now. 

He's got amazing stage presence, too, for someone who pretty much just shuffles around looking grumpy :) 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    ICBM said:

When I saw them at download he sounded absolutely immense - proper wall of sound stuff. 

Looked like he had his sig amps up. Modified gh100ls? 

No idea what he's using now. 

He's got amazing stage presence, too, for someone who pretty much just shuffles around looking grumpy :) 
    He used the two TI signature models for years but on this tour he has a load of the Supergroup reissues that they made for him a year or two ago. 

About 7 years ago  when I had look around backstage at the rigs, Geezer had a rack of SVT heads going into 10, 12, and 15 inch speakers. According Mike Clements he refused to touch Laney again due to how unreliable they were in the early days.