Fender reissue Wide Range pickup question

What's Hot
I know that these are really just a standard bucker that is padded out, but can someone please tell me whether all 12 pole pieces are picking up the string vibration, or just 6 (3 per coil)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    The screws are dummies I believe. I was talking to @TheGuitarWeasel about them only Tuesday.

Just get the real things!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    All 12 in originals are reissues
    edited January 2017
    Gassage said:
    The screws are dummies I believe. I was talking to @TheGuitarWeasel about them only Tuesday.

Just get the real things!
    dummy screws yes, but they are all magnetic polepieces (edit - by virtue of the bar magnet underneath)
    fwiw, i had an original, liked it a lot, and wouldn't touch a reissue with a barge pole.   If i want a normal humbucker, that is what i will order
    WezV said:
    fwiw, i had an original, liked it a lot, and wouldn't touch a reissue with a barge pole.   If i want a normal humbucker, that is what i will order
    Wez,

Ash was explaining to me how fragile the copper/nickel pole pieces were and just how umobtainium they are and even then how impossible it is to cut a thread on them?

I think the WR is one of the best pups ever- almost a step between P90's and Buckers.

My Thinline still sounds like the roar of god.

• I was looking for Ash's post about his WR build, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the Mojo blog article :-) I was toying with idea of getting one and playing around with it, but it'd probably cost as much to mod as buying a new replica from Ash or Mojo. I'd be looking at a cleaner tone overall, so I could get one underwound that way too.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Bunch of CuNiFe's

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    WezV said:
    Wez,

Ash was explaining to me how fragile the copper/nickel pole pieces were and just how umobtainium they are and even then how impossible it is to cut a thread on them?

I think the WR is one of the best pups ever- almost a step between P90's and Buckers.

My Thinline still sounds like the roar of god.
    oh, i would have a new version from ash or marc (since they offer proper wide range style construction) just not Fenders.   

I know neither use the CuNiFe magnets of the originals, but i dont think that makes a massive difference really.  The threading on the magnets won't do much either so Ash's aproach makes sense - the location of magnets within the coil makes all the difference

Making them like a normal humbucker in a wide range case just makes them a bit pointless to me.

Although I was looking at marc's site earlier and considering how much i would like a wide range pickup with short blade pole pieces on either side... 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
  • Funnily enough, this is relevant to my interests. Watched a few demos of various; Lollars Regal Humbucker is their version, and sounds superb in the demos. They are about a billion dollars per set. 

About an hour ago I pushed the button on one of Marc's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Funnily enough, this is relevant to my interests. Watched a few demos of various; Lollars Regal Humbucker is their version, and sounds superb in the demos. They are about a billion dollars per set. 

I was noodling about y'day and plugged my Thinline into my rig with no dirt - I was amazed how powerful and dirty they were.

• Gassage said:
    Funnily enough, this is relevant to my interests. Watched a few demos of various; Lollars Regal Humbucker is their version, and sounds superb in the demos. They are about a billion dollars per set. 

I was noodling about y'day and plugged my Thinline into my rig with no dirt - I was amazed how powerful and dirty they were.
    This is what worries me as I'd like to put them in a 12 string. I want lower power really: Stormy Monday sort of power
    Gassage said:

This is what worries me as I'd like to put them in a 12 string. I want lower power really: Stormy Monday sort of power
    Victor- mine are the original 1973 ones. The modern Fenders are nowt like them

• It'll be going in the bridge position, so I'm worried that a Wide Range will be too trebly. It might actually be that I'm better off with a reissue, which seem to be darker due to the fact they're nothing more than a hidden humbucker. The one I'm looking at is from a Japanese model and I think they used ceramic magnets, so it'll need some work. Maybe a simple magnet switch would work...
  • I'll have a Reissue one for sale in approximately 25-30 days time? ;)
  • I'll have a Reissue one for sale in approximately 25-30 days time? ;)
    Ok, I'll bear it in mind, cheers ;-)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    It'll be going in the bridge position, so I'm worried that a Wide Range will be too trebly. It might actually be that I'm better off with a reissue, which seem to be darker due to the fact they're nothing more than a hidden humbucker. The one I'm looking at is from a Japanese model and I think they used ceramic magnets, so it'll need some work. Maybe a simple magnet switch would work...
    Dont. I've had a vintage set and the re-issues. 
    Buy something proper.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    edited January 2017
    Anyone tried the Telenator WRHB? I had a Fender Japan 72 Thinline back in the 90's and never had a problem with the pups.... But that was before I had read the internet which now tells me they are shite. Also had a Jap Tele custom. You can always change the pot to a different value if you find the pickups muddy. Telenator pickups http://www.telenator.com/pickups/
    JD50 said:
    Anyone tried the Telenator WRHB? I had a Fender Japan 72 Thinline back in the 90's and never had a problem with the pups.... But that was before I had read the internet which now tells me they are shite. Also had a Jap Tele custom. You can always change the pot to a different value if you find the pickups muddy.
    its not that they are shite, just that they offer nothing different to a normal humbucker.  Therefore the choice to go with a fender re-issue wide range is purely an aesthetic one.

A proper wide range design gives you a different tonal option to a normal humbucker.  So the choice is an aesthetic, and a tonal one

didn't realise telenator was still making them, last i remember they were strictly limited to a few hundred sets before his supply of CuNiFe magnets ran out - that was some years ago though