Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Sounding Small Tube Combo for Cleans?

What's Hot
Looking at a few Blues and Pro Junior any alternatives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Princeton reverb, mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Lebarque said:
    Princeton reverb, mate
    In fact one of the best clean tones I've heard from any amp....
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Carr Rambler
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31582
    Princeton reverb. Blues and Pro Juniors are the last place I'd look for clean tone, despite the fact that I love the Pro Jr. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31582
    Carr Rambler
    These are very nice, but not three and a half times the price of a Princeton nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Princeton is the answer really but somewhat pricier than the Blues or Pro Jrs. 
    Yerasov GTA15 is a Pro Jr alternative, less than £400 for the updated model. Presumably cheap as chips if you spotted one used ( particularly the ugly early brown model).
    If you want really small and really clean ( and prepared to look at non valve) the DV Mark Jazz combos are sub £400. 
    Back with valves the Laney Lionhearts are bargains used, there was an L5 combo for sale on here recently. Has overdrive as well.
    I'm sure lots of people will say for cleans go slightly bigger and get a Hot Rod Deluxe, almost industry standard valve clean. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The correct, albeit budget busting, answer is Louis Columbia. Otherwise it's Princeton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    The best-sounding small amp for cleans I've ever heard is the Mesa Blue Angel, although you may not describe it as small. The Subway Blues is a reasonably close substitute that's half the size and weight. Both are long discontinued but not impossibly rare - the Subway is more common and much cheaper. (NB, the Subway Rocket is not the same thing at all.)

Other than that, Princeton Reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    I thought (not that I am that up on this) that the DRRI was a go-to for this - what sets the PR apart ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I think the introduction of a more affordable 68 modified version puts it squarely into a good price bracket. Previously it was just the blackface reissue and for not that much more you get a bigger sounding amp in the drri that can do blues gigs. 

I loved the little 68 Princeton I tried, really lovely sounding home amp. Got on far better with big fuzzes than the blackface drri. Ultimately I couldn't afford it as I left my job early and reduced my budget but I was very close to buying one. 
  • Worth keeping an eye out for a Cornell Romany- 10W, based on a Fender Champ, but with switchable EQ (EQ on has the treble/bass emphasized "blackface" sound, EQ off is more middly and "tweed" flavoured) and a 6L6 power tube. 

The Romany Plus model has a 12" speaker and spring reverb. IMO it sounds better than the standard Romany with a 10" speaker and no 'verb. Older models can switch to 2.5W, newer ones have two other lower wattage settings. Clean with a Fender-type guitar it's absolutely gorgeous. 

Handwired in Essex, could be yours for £500 or so used if you're patient. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4700
    p90fool said:
    Carr Rambler
    These are very nice, but not three and a half times the price of a Princeton nice. 
    Different type of nice as well to be fair.  I prefer the Princeton, it's warmer and softer.  The Rambler is less forgiving, harder sounding, in a good bigger blackface way.  Apples and Oranges really in price and sound.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Morgan PR12 and there's one in the Classifieds for a fab price (no affiliation).

Check out the demos
  • Kebabkid said:
    Morgan PR12 and there's one in the Classifieds for a fab price (no affiliation).

Which is essentially a Princeton.  The answer is......a Princeton btw.  Small and perfectly formed.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    edited January 2017
    It's a bit big for a 112 but the Traynor YGM3 has wonderful cleans. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    ...and if needed, put an efficient 12 inch speaker in a Princeton to gig it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    @ThePrettyDamned - for cleans (and everything else) I think the speaker in the 65 PRRI is better than the Celestion in the 68.  The 68 also has a modified tone stack with more mids, and less negative feeback so it breaks up earlier.

@English_Bob - as a former Romany Plus owner, the Princeton does way better cleans.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited January 2017
    crunchman said:
    @ThePrettyDamned - for cleans (and everything else) I think the speaker in the 65 PRRI is better than the Celestion in the 68.  The 68 also has a modified tone stack with more mids, and less negative feeback so it breaks up earlier.

@English_Bob - as a former Romany Plus owner, the Princeton does way better cleans.

Indeed - but still sounds better at home volume, clean. Neither will gig clean, so that's out of the question really, meaning a minimum of the DRRI or the 68 version of it. For a proper clean, the 68 vibrolux may work better. 

I disagree about the speaker - it may be unorthodox, but the speaker in the 68 really works for cleans. I do prefer a more balanced clean tone than the usual blackface sound, though. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    TimmyO said:
    I thought (not that I am that up on this) that the DRRI was a go-to for this - what sets the PR apart ? 

The Princeton just sounds sweeter.
    Part of the issue is that DRRIs (and 68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs) use a digital circuit board for the tremolo as you're not allowed to use Optocouplers under ROHS (they contain cadmium I think), which produces a distinct unpleasant ticking sound.

I'd rate the Princeton far above the Deluxe, it really is a fantastic amp.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I've compared the 65 DRRI to the 65 PRRI on several occasions. I've no idea what the technical reasons are - but to my ears the Princeton simply sounds much better. I want one - badly....