New Yamaha/ Line 6 Namm Stuff!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    TimmyO said:

I've not tried any of the higher end Japanese Yamahas.  They seem pretty rare to track down, but I've heard they are up there with the very best if not better than their USA counterparts. 
    I'm a cynic like most people. When I started with the company I went for some product training at our store in London. We got to the L series and I really liked them. Then I was handed an LL26 (MIJ) which was almost £2k more than the LL16 I just played. My brain told me it was never going to be worth it. Totally was. We're looking to get more MIJ guitars out in the wild this year so they should be a lot easier to find. 

I do get that if you have £2-3k to spend, Yamaha isn't going to be top of the list against the posh brands but speaking as a guitar player before anything else, give them a go. They're really very very nice and I would say worth more than the price tag. 
    I was actually in the London store a couple of weeks ago to try out some Dreads (on my way to Ivor's I will admit)

Similarly I loved the L and then I asked if I could try the super-costly luthier built one on the wall (I think it was around £4-5k) : just amazing guitar. I actually did an out loud "wow" when I played an open C lol 
    Ah the 56. Thats a very special guitar. If you're down that way again, ask if you can check out the GC82. Top of the range classical that will set you back around £10k. It's an emotional experience. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254

As well as this (I know it's in the guitar section, we released the Spider V head. 240w Spider V head with all the good stuff of the other amps with a very useful feature. The head has built in speakers so you can practice at home
    Apologies for the thread hijack since this is the Guitar section, but… oooh, that sounds interesting!

Nicked from the Boss Katana, perhaps? ;) But it's a very good idea - and does it have front-mounted controls like the combos? Top controls is something I dislike about the Katana, as I'm sure everyone is bored of hearing :).

I was just saying to someone yesterday that what I was thinking of looking for was a really good modelling head and an ultralight 2x12" cabinet, possibly with a FRFR option so it could do acoustic-electric sounds... I was thinking THR100 Dual and a custom cab with switchable tweeters, but it sounds like the Spider head might be even closer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM yep, front mounted controls, 50w output for the built in stereo speakers and that side is full range so you can still put your tracks through the head and practice at home. Get your tone dialled in then out and off to the gig. You could get something like the Matrix 212 cab. Lightweight and FRFR so you could do electric and acousti through it. That could work. 

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    I'm looking forward to trying the acoustics as I was thinking about getting one of the current ones for the acoustic modelling. Are the new ones drastically better?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    koss59 said:
    I'm looking forward to trying the acoustics as I was thinking about getting one of the current ones for the acoustic modelling. Are the new ones drastically better?
    I should say no as there are still a bunch of the old one out in the wild but honestly, yes. Significantly. That said, the old one is still an amazing guitar. The SRT preamp on that one actually gives you more options. Also, I'm pretty sure you would be able to get a deal on one as they will be going cheap to make room for the new one. 

@ICBM yep, front mounted controls, 50w output for the built in stereo speakers and that side is full range so you can still put your tracks through the head and practice at home. Get your tone dialled in then out and off to the gig. You could get something like the Matrix 212 cab. Lightweight and FRFR so you could do electric and acousti through it. That could work. 
    VERY interested…

An absolute masterstroke would be to have the onboard speakers able to become just the tweeters when using a normal cab - so you wouldn't need it to be FRFR - but that's probably making this more complex than would be sensible for most purposes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Price on the Helix plugin?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    ICBM said:
    VERY interested…

An absolute masterstroke would be to have the onboard speakers able to become just the tweeters when using a normal cab - so you wouldn't need it to be FRFR - but that's probably making this more complex than would be sensible for most purposes.

Details are on the website already - http://uk.line6.com/spider-v/products.html

• SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    crunchman said:
    I think it's £99 if you own a Helix, £399 if you don't.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited January 2017
    StefB said:

Details are on the website already - http://uk.line6.com/spider-v/products.html ;
    It doesn't give that much detail unfortunately.

It's also unfortunate that it's about the size of a cruise liner. I know they probably want it to "look right" on top of a 4x12", but I'm going to bet that about half of it contains nothing but air. That pretty much defeats the point of having a lightweight portable head, for me :(.

Tipping back in the direction of the Yamaha THR100 and possibly making a small FRFR(ish) cab for the house...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Which modelling engine is in the Spider V?? same as HD500X??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Sporky said:
    crunchman said:
    I think it's £99 if you own a Helix, £399 if you don't.
    That will be added to basket as soon as its out. Excellent idea if you already own a Helix.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Hmm. Current A3Ms are going down to £449, A3Rs £499 at some places. At that price I guess it's still a stonking guitar even if it's the outgoing model?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.