Dreadnoughts - big aren't they?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
I've recently acquired my first dreadnought acoustic, a Sigma DR28 which I picked up 2nd handfor a very reasonable price.

It's really nicely made, and sounds great but having got used to playing an Ovation shallow bowl and a couple of electrics it's like playing a piece of furniture!

I'm over 6ft so it's not like I'm too small for it. Do you get used to the size or do certain guitars just 'fit' you better? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    My experience is that I got used to it - to the point where now playing a smaller guitar like an OM feels weird and needs some adjustment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it depends on the chair you are sitting on, for example if the chair is low to the floor then a dread can feel quite cramped but on a more upright and higher chair I find a dread to be super comfy.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited January 2017
    Clues in the name. The Dreadnought was the largest battleship at the time, but you're right, they are no Strat

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Have posted this elsewhere but feel it's relevant here too :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    When I first sat with an O size Lowden, I thought, fucking hell! I can't play this. But you get used to the size pretty quick.

Like Lewy says, once you do get used to it. Anything smaller feels strange.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72252
    You get used to it. I'm only 5'6" and I don't find them a problem. A J-200 is even bigger and I can still play those too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Similar to different neck profiles, scale lengths, body shapes etc., just keep playing it and you'll get used to it and not notice it anymore.
  • You get used to it but being taller with longer arms does help. I play a jumbo 
  • Yup. I totally agree.
    If you need the sound a good dread produces, there's nothing like em- but they're never my first choice as a guitar to have handy for playing on the sofa etc. 
    For that I have a parlour sized acoustic- it's SO comfortable.
  • I have a Lowden O - bigger than most Dreads across the lower bout. Needs to be played on a hard seat, definitely not sofa-compatible!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited January 2017
    My acoustic, despite being a jumbo, is a featherweight, I often practice stood up with it on a strap. The strap really needs a suede underside to help hold it in place as it is so light. This stops me hunching so much
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited January 2017

Fuengi, how u holding it ?.

I was 6ft till gravity got the better of me, I notice the lad in the vid above is playing with his right thigh raised (foot stool ?).
    I do this by crossing my right leg over left and the waist of the guitar sits on that. I also lean into the guitar and rest my right upper arm on the lower bout so my picking hand 'ark' falls across the soundhole - I can, from this position move my r/h back 'n forward for tonal  and picking variation / stroke execution.
    like this on a JOM (a slightly larger and 'Dread' depth OM)
    I've developed this (bad posture) over the years and find the opposite to you, in that smaller guitars - even a standard OM  throws out my r/h picking position cause my upper right arm has nothing to rest on. My r / arm gets fatigued within minuets trying to hold it up to maintain my r/h picking where I'm used to it being - I NEED big guitars. =)

• Too big for me - I'd never buy one. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited January 2017
    FWIW, I believe lower bout width is one of the most important aspects when it comes to picking an acoustic guitar.  Sound is secondary, but comfort is first.  Different requirements for different people, it's about finding what suits your needs the most. 

I'm of the mindset when it comes to different body shapes for acoustics (and electrics as well) it can take time to grow accustomed the specific ergonomics of the instrument. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
      Different requirements for different people, it's about finding what suits your needs the most. 

yeah, what I was trying to say - in a roundabout way.
    As you say, finding the right shape / size si equally as important as the right 'feel' / playability - in your hands and sound pallet / response.
    All these aspects go into finding the right instrument - as I say - that disappears in your hands - it doesn't 'impede' you - and your left concentrating on playing the music.
    The Lowden 'O' model is the other one that 'fits' me well.

• Today I tried a whole bunch of mini and 3/4 size acoustics thinking I missed my little Martin but my fingers get squashed trying to play them. Reminisce over! 

• I own two dreadnoughts and my posture when playing them (standing up) is terrible! I can't get around to play the strings properly so I end up hinging forward to release my right arm. BUT dreadnoughts make the sound I want, so that's that!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom