Charvel Model 4 rewire options..

2»

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    edited January 2017
    Are you suggesting 2 DPDTs that are on/off. And one DPDT that is on/off/on?

Like this  http://www.ebay.com/itm/361723636424

And
     http://www.ebay.com/itm/331865381214
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Yes, that would give you the simplest way to the options you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• So one master volume... And two tones??? One for bridge and one for mid and neck,??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

So one master volume... And two tones??? One for bridge and one for mid and neck,??
    Yes

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited February 2017
    @ICBM

I have looked at the existing wiring, it seems I have inherited a pair of WD500K pots with 47nf caps attached.. 

and what I think is a 250k vol pot....

I should have enough stuff to wire the guitar back together with the two Jackson J100 single coils (each measuring 6.1) and a new humbucker; with the SPDT switches acting as simple on/off??
    My trading feedback

That will work, but the 250K volume pot is possibly a bit low for the humbucker. It would probably best to swap the pots around so the 250K is the tone for the neck pickup.

• what about two vol pots (bridge : neck/mid) and a master tone??
    My trading feedback

We already looked at that to begin with :). It will work, but you'll have to wire the pots backwards - so it will probably hum if you turn all the pickups off, and turning the volumes down won't mute it.

• Can you explain why?
    My trading feedback

edited February 2017
    Because when you wire the controls backwards - or 'independent' - turning them down grounds the pickup side and not the output side, so you're effectively left with an open circuit.

How about: master volume, volume for single coils, tone? You can do that and have the master volume wired the right way round.

• cheers for you input.. I'll let you know how I get on...  I've ordered a Dimarzio PAF PRO
    My trading feedback

edited March 2017
    what about two vol pots (bridge : neck/mid) and a master tone??
    This is what was implemented...

Works a treat

My trading feedback

Does it hum if you turn all three pickups off, or do you just try to avoid that?

• No hum, no out of phase, no issues... 
    My trading feedback