The problem with Variax

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I think that the problem with Variax guitars is that there will probably be a limited lifespan for each guitar/model. My understanding is that they have already withdrawn support for the earliest models, which presumably means that apart from required knowledge, parts will go from hard to obtain to impossible to obtain. Over time, all guitars will fall foul of the same thing as the company moves on. 

A problem? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    axisus said:
    I think that the problem with Variax guitars is that there will probably be a limited lifespan for each guitar/model. My understanding is that they have already withdrawn support for the earliest models, which presumably means that apart from required knowledge, parts will go from hard to obtain to impossible to obtain. Over time, all guitars will fall foul of the same thing as the company moves on. 

A problem? 

How is that different to any other technology people pour crap loads of money into... outside the traditional guitar world
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

A problem? 

How is that different to any other technology people pour crap loads of money into... outside the traditional guitar world
    It's different because we are on a guitar forum!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    And you can always rout for pickups and user the piezos.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    That's how technology works!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    As I've said before, if there was a retro fit bridge/trem system that could send the data wirelessly to a floor controller, I'm sure the uptake would be massive.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    I know someone in the UK with a HUGE stock of parts for the older Variaxes... once upon a time I was going to set up on my own just doing Variax repairs but decided against it. He took on all the parts I'd accumulated and I used to be his boss at Line6, so I know he's more than up to the job of repairing Variaxes, even the oldest V500s. I can put you in touch if needed...

But yes, you are absolutely right. But that's the same for any hi-tech. ICs (chips, to the uninitiated) have a limited production run (by and large) and the chances of them being remade is slim bordering on no chance, so even those that control some multi-effects processors are now impossible to get. Since about 2004, Flash memory has been used in alot of high tech units - and we all know how stable flash can be... unless you have the code, then you are all outta luck getting a corrupted or blank chip blown to make something work again.

How many of you have a smart phone? How many of you will replace your smart phone at the end of a contract? You've probably paid almost as much for it as you would do a Variax Standard... so what's the difference, Leo Fender never said his Broadcaster was a guitar for life!

We've had it lucky in the guitar world - imagine all those poor souls who bought a Fairlight back in the 1980s for the same money as a small house. Now they are worth... hmmm, not a lot.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    Generalising of course:- As long as you dont make a habit of spilling your beer or coffee into the inner workings, most electronic gadgetry without moving parts and without heating elements either tend to either die straightaway (i.e under warranty), or last for years and years. 

I would not be too worried about it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2017
    steer said:
    Generalising of course:- As long as you dont make a habit of spilling your beer or coffee into the inner workings, most electronic gadgetry without moving parts and without heating elements either tend to either die straightaway (i.e under warranty), or last for years and years. 

I would not be too worried about it.
    Absolutely - all my Valvetronix/Tonelab gear is from around 2003/4 and still going strong.  My hybrid Marshall Valvestate 8080 is from circa 1995 and aside from having a service & scratchy pots replaced  2 years ago (first time) it's working perfectly too.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    As I've said before, if there was a retro fit bridge/trem system that could send the data wirelessly to a floor controller, I'm sure the uptake would be massive.
    I wouldn't even be fussed about Wireless.

Either that, or design the guitar to be modular and replaceable, with a promise of a reduced price upgrade to the next version of hardware.

I'd rather be able to fit it to my guitar of choice.  Find a Mexican Tele or Strat that I like as a guitar and fit the technology as a bolt on.