Do people use wood for fancy fretboard inlays?

What's Hot
I was just wondering how it would look with some nice light grainy wood on an ebony fretboard. Any good reason not to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    "Furniture guitar syndrome"?

:)

I like marquetry, and I like guitars. Not sure I like the idea of combining the two.

Although for what it's worth I detest wood pickup rings, knobs, back covers and other stuff so I may be biased on this, and if those are your thing….

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    ICBM said:
    "Furniture guitar syndrome"?

:)

I like marquetry, and I like guitars. Not sure I like the idea of combining the two.

Although for what it's worth I detest wood pickup rings, knobs, back covers and other stuff so I may be biased on this, and if those are your thing….

I too dislike wooden fittings etc, but I would think that wood inlays on ebony could look nice. I'm wanting to inlay chinese symbols on a fretboard. MoP seems very expensive and also it would be a major task for me to try and cut out. I figure that wood is a lot easier to work with - and less harmful to me in terms of tiny particles as well. 

I may just get some wood and have a go at the cutting, and see how it pans out. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27955
    I've seen it done. The tricky bit is when sanding - there's a risk of the darker wood's dust getting into the grain of the lighter wood and making everything a bit murky.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    Sporky said:
    I've seen it done. The tricky bit is when sanding - there's a risk of the darker wood's dust getting into the grain of the lighter wood and making everything a bit murky.
    Yup, this.
    I did a ebony binding on my first guitar and anytime I went near it with a sanding block I ended up with ebony dust in my soundboard

I mostly agree with ICBM.
    I decided some time ago that I am going to to be bare minimum of fiddly-appearance oriented woodworking in order to concentrate on the ergonomic/tonal dimensions to instrument building.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    www.prsguitars.com/gom_april/
    www.prsguitars.com/gom_december/

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited January 2017
    Isn't that what they do for the Warmoth gecko necks?