SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB PC Graphics card - maybe :) NOW SORTED

What's Hot
trolleytrolley Frets: 88
edited January 2017 in Misc £

So my son reckons a decent graphics card will speed up the computer.
BUT - I don't play games; he does, but only on this machine since his laptop blew up.
He reckons that spending between £40 & £100 is a waste - the dearer ones don't give enough performance increase for the money.

So if anyone's upgrading & selling a reasonable (~£200 new?) card please let me know & I might be tempted

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    I got one for my lad's computer the other week that took him from 20fos on low settings playing Overwatch to 60fps on high settings - it only cost £92 - but you may already have that sort of power (I see the prices you can spend on these things - makes your eyes water!) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    My son reckons a ~£500 card would be OK - he's got no chance!
    It's mostly for coding a Raspberry Pi & recording.
    And his games
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    It will only make a significant difference if the graphics card is the bottleneck.  You'll also need to make sure that the power supply is up to the job.  Why not post the current spec of the machine on here?  Someone will know - and if not, I know who to ask.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    £500 ? wtf HE'd best get delivering a *lot* of papers lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Guy in work's son does gaming as his main hobby - he spent £800 on a graphics card!
    It was his own money, mind
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    uncledick said:
    It will only make a significant difference if the graphics card is the bottleneck.  You'll also need to make sure that the power supply is up to the job.  Why not post the current spec of the machine on here?  Someone will know - and if not, I know who to ask.
    I will second that, no good getting a decent card if the rest of the gear isn't up to it.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3608
    trolley said:

So my son reckons a decent graphics card will speed up the computer.
    BUT - I don't play games; he does, but only on this machine since his laptop blew up.
    He reckons that spending between £40 & £100 is a waste - the dearer ones don't give enough performance increase for the money.

So if anyone's upgrading & selling a reasonable (~£200 new?) card please let me know & I might be tempted

Have one for sale here. Not sure if it is what you are looking for?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94956/graphics-card-sapphire-hd-7970-dual-x-3gg-gddr5-90-inc-rmsd#latest

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    If you go the the one that @Neil has then I would echo the advice above to check if your power supply (and case cooling) can handle it.  On full tilt that one is 250W.  It probably won't use all of that, but a lot of power supplies in normal consumer machines will struggle with that.

I think NVidia cards are normally a bit less power hungry than AMD cards of similar performance if power is an issue.

Our PSU can handle it - but it doesn't have the connectors!

Which is a little awkward

It may have the connections, but it may not have the leads connected up. What psu do you have?

Ahh I see its sorted, what did you end up doing

• Sorry, been away. We bought a Radeon RX460 - well, I did =)