Cant lie, I want one of these!

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
in Guitar tFB Trader
Stellar!! (as is the price..)

https://youtu.be/Vtpze0qzvgY
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Really, didn't have you down as a shiny suit kinda guy ;)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    I came quite close to buying a '91 Floral one recently… but I asked my daughter if she thought I would look cool playing it, and she gave me one of those eye-rolling teenager looks and said "er… no."

I think there's a mid-life crisis reality check in there somewhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Liking those original neon jems is my dirty little secret! Would love to own one but I couldn't imagine ever playing it out! Predictably pricey!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788

They're cool and there is certainly that '80s nostalgia element, but I could only buy one to hang it on the wall.

(Not that any of my guitars ever actually leave the house, so they're all ornaments, in effect)

Those three colours, though... and the disappearing-pyramid inlays....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I want one too, so much retro cool in a guitar. I would look like a complete twat playing pentatonics on it though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Love it! Loch Ness Green for me...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I remember drooling over those in 1990s editions of Guitarist. They still give me a wee tingle. 
    I don't have the chops to play one though- more than any other guitar Jems i think mark you out as a certain "type" of player. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've never liked the fluorescent colours on that phase of ibanez guitars. Not for me
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Can't lie, I don't ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, I detest Floyds and I don't like 24 fret necks due to what they do to the neck pickup tone... but they are cool
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    When I first saw this I thought I have to have one too (I very nearly bought an original LNG quite a few years back) but as others have said, ultimately it'd be an incredibly pricey ornament that I would never play live and probably rarely play at all. 

Great they've reissued it for those who will play them...but I can't imagine the owners of the originals (I think Rich Harris of Ibanez Rules owns a fair few of them) are too chuffed!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    On the GAK website thenare listed at £3k 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I'd have 1 in each colour. The pink and green are getting most of my attention though. I'd love to turn up at a gig with a pink one and just have people stare in confusion.

I have a Desert Yellow RG from 1990, as close as I'm going to get to having one. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Awesomes guitars. Personally I don't like the monkey hand-grip thing, but the sister model without the RG series are fannytastic.
    bigjon and myself doing Comfortably Numb (photo C/O viz)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I would love a yellow one.    Awesome looking guitar.  

Not sure I'd pay 3k for one though.  Feels. Lot of money for a different finish.  
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    I have a black RG770 from 1992 which was as close as I could get to a Jem with the budget I had as a 17 year old.

I still have it, but it sits gathering dust in the corner of the room....I don't need a Jem....if money were no object however I'd have one in every colour! Still think they're cool though
  • I have an original DY jem. 

Still tempted by these though. 

Of course you'd have to buy all three ... looking to be about £2k from Ibanez Rules (minus import duty and VAT of course). It would be silly to buy only a third of a set ...

Also - all of the above comments apply to me in spades; I doubt I'll ever have to chops to play out with my DY. I am getting the practice in though!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    The green one looks stunning in that video - I don't remember the colour like that, I thought it was slightly lighter and more dayglo.

I don't think you need to be a ridiculously good player to use one - as long as you're not trying to show off and failing :). I actually think they've become so iconic they go beyond genre stereotypes now - you could use one for almost anything that isn't the sort of music where it would be actively uncool.

Definitely one of the classic guitars now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    They're really versatile, because they're basically really stable and really easy to play, and the middle single-coil is excellent, and alder is a great wood. If it weren't for their association (and the monkey grip!) they'd be much more popular than they are. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • They're ridiculous. But in a great way.