PRS 594 sc vs PRS stripped 58/SC58

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
in Guitar tFB Trader
So what's the difference? They strike me as very similar guitars, different pickups  but seemingly the same. Anyone played both?

all help gratefully received. 
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The Scale Length is 0.094 inches longer on the 594 and they have different pickups. The SC 58 also doesn't exist anymore so it's sort of a replacement. I think Body Depth may also differ.  
  • The Scale Length is 0.094 inches longer on the 594 and they have different pickups. The SC 58 also doesn't exist anymore so it's sort of a replacement. I think Body Depth may also differ.  
    It's actually a shorter scale length. Singlecuts are 25'', where as this is 24.594'', apparently the same as a 59 Les Paul. 

Think the body is a tad deeper and uses the same pickups in the bridge and neck.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited January 2017
    The fractional difference in scale length is the only 'structural' difference - and is now (apparently) exactly the same as a late '50s Les Paul. I'd be astonished if it made any recognisable tonal difference (I think scale lengths do have an influence on tone - but probably not when the difference is so small).

The earlier version had the highly sought-after 57/08 pick-ups - which have never been available separately. They've always sounded great in the guitars I've played fitted with them. I've not played the 85/15s - but they've always sounded bright and thin in the demos I've watched. Paul seems to be on a mission to make his guitars more 'open' sounding/vintage voiced - but if the demos are anything to go by, I think he may have gone too far, for my taste.

The other point in favour of the older model is PRS residuals are awful, so you should be able to get really great guitar for (comparatively) not a lot of money.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    I think the guys above have covered a few key points - on paper they will effectively do a similar job - The finer detail is down to you in many ways once played - 57/08s to me are a touch warmer, especially on clean and less overdriven amp settings - 85/15 more clarity on hi-gain settings

You'll pick up a clean used SC58 or Stripped 58 for less than a new 594 if that helps - the 594 has really taken of sales wise
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    I think the guys above have covered a few key points - on paper they will effectively do a similar job - The finer detail is down to you in many ways once played - 57/08s to me are a touch warmer, especially on clean and less overdriven amp settings - 85/15 more clarity on hi-gain settings

You'll pick up a clean used SC58 or Stripped 58 for less than a new 594 if that helps - the 594 has really taken of sales wise
    Well,, I have a stripped 58...... but I was trying to work out if this is a case of minute changes that add up to something monumental in the 594 or to just keep the stripped 58. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    The Scale Length is 0.094 inches longer on the 594 and they have different pickups. The SC 58 also doesn't exist anymore so it's sort of a replacement. I think Body Depth may also differ.  
    It's actually a shorter scale length. Singlecuts are 25'', where as this is 24.594'', apparently the same as a 59 Les Paul. 

Think the body is a tad deeper and uses the same pickups in the bridge and neck.
    The Stripped 58 and SC58 (and subsequent "new" SC245 those two got morphed into in 2013) have 24.5" scales. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

Well,, I have a stripped 58...... but I was trying to work out if this is a case of minute changes that add up to something monumental in the 594 or to just keep the stripped 58. 
    I'm sure they are worth checking out - the finer nuances can be the be all and end all - Not sure if you are at The Guitar Show in Birmingham in a month or so - PRS have a stand - or who your local dealer is to check them out - They are getting plenty of good reviews and comments from customers and the press
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited January 2017
    The neck profile is new and pretty nice on the one I played different to wide fat or pattern regular.

i am gassing on one at the moment, but as said there is poor residuals on PRS these days so a lot of bargains in the 2nd hand market.

if you look at 594 wood library or 10 top you are hitting 4K you might as well blow another grand or two for a 2nd hand private stock probably not 594 but a few good single cuts and get all the best woods and build of a small shop.
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

I'm sure they are worth checking out - the finer nuances can be the be all and end all - Not sure if you are at The Guitar Show in Birmingham in a month or so - PRS have a stand - or who your local dealer is to check them out - They are getting plenty of good reviews and comments from customers and the press
    yeah, we are exhibiting but im sure i can find five minutes....... are you going?
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    yeah, we are exhibiting but im sure i can find five minutes....... are you going?
    yes - got a stand there so will say hi - Thanks for the introduction from Richard the other day

Sunday morning first 30 mins is quiet so you might find a few mins
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    So as someone that loves the sound of a Les Paul but hates the weight and other certain aspects, I've always been looking for the perfect PRS to give me something as close as can be while keeping the things I love about PRS too. 

Ive tried every single attempt they've made, including a stripped 58, various McCartys, etc and the 594 is, for whatever reason, so much more than the sum of its parts. It's the first PRS I've played that sounds old, if that makes sense. Sometimes that's not what I want in a PRS but for this particular brief, it fits perfectly. I haven't tried the 594 SC but I actually feel the sound of the double cut is so great, that I would rather keep some of the better ergonomics anyway. 

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I bet they use a modern scale length not the old rule of 18 that is on a 59 btw, I'd be interested in that
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Having never played an old rule of 18, other than authenticity. What is the difference, I presume reissues don't use it and Gibson are saving that for the 2020 authentic authentic version.

tFB Trader
    Having never played an old rule of 18, other than authenticity. What is the difference, I presume reissues don't use it and Gibson are saving that for the 2020 authentic authentic version.

lol yes that'll be coming if they can be bothered

My main point is its not a 59 scale
    Why don't they say modern 24 3/4 or whatever they used
    Just marketing crap imo

The main difference for me is the fret spacing up the dusty end is slightly different
    I use it and like it, if it was good enough back then it's good enough for me
    I like vintage stuff that's all

It might have a slight tonal difference who knows and I'm not building both types to find out

I'd rather do more tonal testing like wood, hardware etc
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I have a Stripped 58 with 57/08 and while curious about the 594 SC I am not curious enough to pay £3k to get one.  I am sure they are nice, I just think they are trying to get close to the Gibson at a price where I could get a R9 so I think to myself...I already have a Stripped 58 and if the intention is to get something close to a Gibson, I should just get a Gibson.

tFB Trader
    Some fantastic bits of advice here, thank you everyone. 
  • There's some serious magic with uncovered 57/08s
    tFB Trader
    This was built with the old scale, admittedly it's p90's so might not be relevant, it's a review of my guitar, if you just want to listen then the first 2 mins are good enough straight into a cornford

I'll get more done with humbucker soon

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Any excuse to post a photo of my Stripped 58, binding and birds...who needs it
    :heart: 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This was built with the old scale, admittedly it's p90's so might not be relevant, it's a review of my guitar, if you just want to listen then the first 2 mins are good enough straight into a cornford

I'll get more done with humbucker soon

Sounds great and good to hear one of your creations. I always find it funny that people always have copious build pictures here of what they have made but very few have short video of what they sound like. Sort of tease you through the build  then leave you hanging.

certainly flying the Uk Flag for the whole old school spec guitars nice. You are rapidly becoming the Uk's answer to Bartley/yaron style guitars. 

Are you you using old woods or just good modern stuff 

nice