New John Mayer - The Search for Everything "Wave One"

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
It's all a bit smooooooooth so far on track one.

But i'd like some of whatever drugs he was on when he signed off on the album art...

Links to itunes/spotify/youtube etc all on here: http://smarturl.it/TSFE-WaveOne?IQid=jm.email

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just had a first listen. Mayer has often threaded the line between drivel and genius but usually pulls it off, this I'm not so sure about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited January 2017
    I'm a big JM fan, but so far this is just a bit 'meh'. Watching the launch of his new PRS amp shows what he can really so.....so why hasn't he done it on here? I think it's Pino Palledino and Steve Jordan playing on these, so why not do a bit more John Mayer Trio. Perhaps it's a grower.
  • And you're right @stickyfiddle, wtf is the artwork?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Yeah thats what happens to you if you listen to too much Grateful Dead lol
  • The music is almost as bad as the artwork :(

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

What is it with that artwork?

His tribute to Prince maybe!

Ok a few more listens.

Really like the first track, one where you need to soak up the subtle but rich production, and it's laid-back smooth reminds me of Steely Dan, or probably more accurately Donald Fagens solo stuff, which is fine by me.

Second track is growing on me and it does have a masterful guitar solo.

Love on the Weekend, well, could be almost passable but I just can't get over the cringeworthy lyrics and sentiment.

The final track I can definataly live without, sounds like a John Lewis Christmas Advert.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    I had a proper listen last night and I like it. It's a bit of an amalgam of his later stuff and Continuum imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited January 2017
    Huge Mayer fan and I'm leaning towards the good side of 'on the fence' after a good few listens. I gather that by the time the full thing is released it will pretty much have encompassed every style he's ever put out which is no bad thing. I wonder if each 'wave' will have a slight theme.

Moving On And Getting Over is the stand out for me from these 4, though Love On The Weekend has grown on me massively from first listen.

Artwork is god awful btw!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    I'm a fan, but the songs sound crap to me. The guitar playing is always good though obvs.
  • Production and concept sounds great to me. I'd be happy for that as a days work. Not going to change the world but its not meant to. 
  • Wave two now out. I haven't listened yet but the second track is called "Emoji of a wave" so i'm not even sure I can be bothered to hear it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, you should, that's his take on the post modern punk rock era of music.

No, it's really not....it's a bit dull
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Helpless is good. 
    Ooh, I'll give it a listen later, wave one has been steadily growing on me but not his best work.

I think the issue with JM is that his early work in his 20's and 30's displayed incredible maturity and restraint, so it was always going to be interesting how it matured further from there as he gets older, hope he doesn't slip fully into the dull.
  • dindude said:
    Ooh, I'll give it a listen later, wave one has been steadily growing on me but not his best work.

I think the issue with JM is that his early work in his 20's and 30's displayed incredible maturity and restraint, so it was always going to be interesting how it matured further from there as he gets older, hope he doesn't slip fully into the dull.
    Sadly, my take is that it's descending into the swirling abyss that is the lack of quality control that comes from too much weed in the studio.
  • Not really a fan but I'm glad I looked at this thread because that artwork gave me a good laugh!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    Full album out now. I quite like still feel like your man, even if it's maybe a bit creepy and definitely has a silly video (I hope it's knowingly silly...)

Report on the rest to follow...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    Verdict. It's a really dull record.
    Verdict. It's a really dull record.
    Oh dear, I'll give the last wave a listen on my 2-hour drive to family later this morning. Can't help feeling that after Paridise Valley he needed to absolutely nail this one and he didn't.