Pearl Jam - Amps

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
I've always been a fan of the guitar tones on the first two Pearl Jam albums. I have read recently that a Fender Deluxe may have been used for some of the lead work but I can't get my head around that as the sound to my ears sounds like Marshall 800's type noise. 

Anyone have any knowledge of this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2017
    Not sure but I'd be interested in the answer...

If you look on YouTube for "Even Flow Rare" you'll get a few videos that show amps ...I see Marshalls and Fenders up there but not sure who's on what.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    Sound like 800s to me and what I used when I was in a pearl jam tribute band.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    leerocker said:
    Sound like 800s to me and what I used when I was in a pearl jam tribute band.
    That's what I thought. The first two albums sound exactly like what I view as a Marshall 800 sound. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    if you've never seen this it's one of my favourite live performances on youtube

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goatgoat Frets: 98
    edited January 2017
    • Pan Pedal (used between his Marshall and a Fender Bassman with four 10s); quoting Stone: "The pedal allows [us] to alternate between the clean Twin and the dirty Marshall sound, or run them both in stereo. ... It allows you to achieve an endless array of sounds. I can have it all-the-way Twin, all-the-way Marshall, or halfway between, with both amps running at half juice, which gives you that Rolling Stones tone."
    Both on similar rigs it looks like:
    http://www.musiclipse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/early-pearl-jam-live-on-stage.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • if you've never seen this it's one of my favourite live performances on youtube

Immense, thanks for posting that
  • There's so much live footage of this band over the years you'll be able to find out; check out the Touring Band 2000 DVD - one of my favourite live DVDs ever.

I was lucky enough to see them at the MEN a few years. Betterman with the crowd singing along was a moment!

But yeah, I always assumed Stone and Mike both used Marshalls; but it does look like theres some Bassman 4x10s on stage in that posted vid.

• But yeah, I always assumed Stone and Mike both used Marshalls; but it does look like theres some Bassman 4x10s on stage in that posted vid.
    Looks to me like a Bassman on the left and a combo with a front control panel (Twin?) on the right. And a four pint bottle of milk on the drum riser, presumably for mid-gig phlegm replenishment for Eddie Vedder.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• That's a terrific live set. Comedy slip from Ament. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom