Neck/pup pocket advice.

What's Hot
Hi all. Needing a bit of advice about a potential build.
I have a body cut to shape that I've had for about 25 years. Nice bit of Ash (I think), now if I want to get anywhere with it it's going to need routed for a bolt on neck, pups and a bridge and controls. I was planning PRS style with 2 hbs and no scratchplate. Problem is, I don't have a router, or any experience using one. Can these be cut out using a drill, a chisel and some sandpaper/scrapers if I am prepared to take my time with it, or is it a hard job? Should I hire a router or would it be best to try and find someone to do it for me? I'm not too bothered about the satisfaction of DIY. I just want a guitar to my specs for not to much cash.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Technically it can be done, but how good are you with a chisel?  A router and template makes it a very quick job

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Tbh chisel experience is limited to say the least! But tool handling is not new to me. Lots of bench-fitting in my past, so if I were making it by hand from metal I would have no qualms. If it was a fairly easy woodworking job to do I think I could cope if I took my time. But if it was a hard one......................
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I'd mark them out making sure the string spacing is right first then hog out the pocket with a forstener bit then square it up with a chisel after 

Should be ok with pickup rings covering the pocket
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I'm just a hobbyist builder but I've used a simple DIY router plane in the past.  First look at this (EXPENSIVE!) one to get the idea:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-router-plane-701927

The DIY idea I saw decades ago was a block of hardwood, put a large woodscrew through it. You sharpen the screw head by filing flat the screw head's top - so you get a sharp edge around the screw head. This makes a simple scraper that can be used to flatten the bottom of your (chiselled out) cavity, by moving it side to side. Adjust the depth of cut by screwing the woodscrew out, bit by bit.

Another idea is to use a sharp 6mm chisel clamped into something, like a metalworker's hand vice. Drag it to and fro and the tip of the chisel scrapes off the bottom of the cavity.  Fiddly and slow but it works for simple cavities.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Genius.

Thanks Ravenous.