Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do old people complain about loud music...

What's Hot
When they're invariably deafer than the younger attendees?!
One of life's mysteries.......
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Can you speak a bit quieter please....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    They complain because they get annoyed when someone else can be seen/heard enjoying themselves.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Because no one wants to eat a wrinkled old grape when there's a fresh bunch in the bowl.
  • Complaining is one of the most popular hobbies for 50 - 80 year olds.

Many will have dabbled with complaining... during their teenage years... and then return to it in later life.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The majority of all gigs I've been to are so loud that it would be painful to not use earplugs. There's nothing macho about tinnitus 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Maybe we 'oldies' like a decent sound mix and not a wall of muddy sound. And whilst the 'younger' generation embrace 'LOUD' I see many with earplugs. What's that all about?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Maybe we 'oldies' like a decent sound mix and not a wall of muddy sound. And whilst the 'younger' generation embrace 'LOUD' I see many with earplugs. What's that all about?
    Almost as bad as phones at a gig lol..
    Im 43 myself and just curious as to why im gonna do it.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2990
    edited January 2017
    I always wear earplugs at gigs now, it sounds better to me without the higher frequencies and cuts out crowd chatter. 

If your talking very loud music at a pub or club, I got tired of conversations where someone has to shout, flem and all, into an ear to be heard. I don't moan as I dont go to such places these days and if I do go out want to have a decent conversation. Im 40, does that class as old?  s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    Absolutely this. My hearing is fine (and I'm only twentysomething) but I cannot hear a single word people say in some of the bars in Birmingham that are converted old bank buildings because the sound just rumbles around and seemingly I'm fairly sensitive to background noise!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    It's called Hyperacusis.  I suffer with it too.  I say 'suffer' but it's no big deal.  It just means that around a table in a noisy pub, I'm the one cupping his hands behind his ears, looking like an early-warning radar dish.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6593
    Because they do, now get the fuck over it and show some respect, you young twat. 

;) 
  • I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    Absolutely this. My hearing is fine (and I'm only twentysomething) but I cannot hear a single word people say in some of the bars in Birmingham that are converted old bank buildings because the sound just rumbles around and seemingly I'm fairly sensitive to background noise!
    If it helps, I believe it's also a sign of being somewhere north of "normal" on the autism spectrum...and a symptom of tinnitus.
    <space for hire>
    If it helps, I believe it's also a sign of being somewhere north of "normal" on the autism spectrum...and a symptom of tinnitus.
    Wow interesting, this exactly describes my experience in noisy pubs, cant hear a word thats being said, never ocurred to me it could be a 'thing'. Perhaps its related to my mild synesthesia ..... 
  • Eh?
  • Err, yeah man, sounds good (wothehelldidhesay?) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    Wow interesting, this exactly describes my experience in noisy pubs, cant hear a word thats being said, never ocurred to me it could be a 'thing'. Perhaps its related to my mild synesthesia ..... 
    I'm the same. If I'm in a restaurant with my wife I can usually hear the people on the table behind me, rather than what she's trying to say to me. Really annoying, for both of us. I've got quite bad tinnitus in one ear. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    boogieman said:
    I'm the same. If I'm in a restaurant with my wife I can usually hear the people on the table behind me, rather than what she's trying to say to me.
    That could just be your brain filtering it out.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    Its mainly due to modern music being rubbish and we don't want to hear it thank you.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    This is the primary cause. My hearing has been going for a couple of years, and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to pick out sounds when the volume is too high. At the same time I need to play louder so that I can hear what I'm playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.