Sainsbury selling vinyl!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Personally, I won't bother with vinyl while I can get the same albums on CD for a third of the cost and get a more durable, more portable, more playable format that is much easier to convert to digital formats that are far more useful to me.

Agreed. I'm not dissing people who buy vinyl now, but the reason I keep a cheap player is back in the 90s I bought a load of old cheap used vinyl, and it still sounds fine.

I don't claim one is better than the other, for new stuff I buy CDs because they're convenient but the existing old vinyl is playable enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Ravenous said:
    Personally, I won't bother with vinyl while I can get the same albums on CD for a third of the cost and get a more durable, more portable, more playable format that is much easier to convert to digital formats that are far more useful to me.

Agreed. I'm not dissing people who buy vinyl now, but the reason I keep a cheap player is back in the 90s I bought a load of old cheap used vinyl, and it still sounds fine.

I don't claim one is better than the other, for new stuff I buy CDs because they're convenient but the existing old vinyl is playable enough.

For sure, and up until very recently I said the same thing. I'm not (hopefully!) gonna turn into some hipstery sort, or an obsessive buying £250 Floyd box sets, it's just a different way of enjoying music.  There's also a certain pleasure when you find a Ry Cooder record that you used to love in the Oxfam shop for two quid :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100

Many new release vinyl records now come with a download voucher that allows you to get the album in mp3 or FLAC format as well- that seems to me like the way to go, but they don't seem to be doing that with the classic stuff that the supermarkets are selling. 
    I bought Noel Gallagher's high flying birds record - latest one I think. Came with a CD inside. Not a bad idea really!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited January 2017
    randella said:
    Ravenous said:

For sure, and up until very recently I said the same thing. I'm not (hopefully!) gonna turn into some hipstery sort, or an obsessive buying £250 Floyd box sets, it's just a different way of enjoying music.  There's also a certain pleasure when you find a Ry Cooder record that you used to love in the Oxfam shop for two quid
    All the charity shops round my way have cottoned on to the interest in vinyl and have jacked their prices up. The only album you can get for £2 here is by Des O'Connor, Ken Dodd or James Last. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Sainsburys, Tesco et al don't sell vinyl. They sell "vinyls".
  • Gassage said:
    What?

Vinyl flooring?
    No....underpants.

• boogieman said:
    All the charity shops round my way have cottoned on to the interest in vinyl and have jacked their prices up. The only album you can get for £2 here is by Des O'Connor, Ken Dodd or James Last. 
    That's been going on a long time. I started buying records in the late 90s when I found a record player that someone had left behind after a car boot sale. I hit the charity shops around where I lived and would generally spend no more than a pound on a record- usually far less. There was loads of 70s and 80s stuff that was well worth having.

Over time, prices have gone up in a lot of charity shops while taking very little account of the condition or collector value of the record, or the quality of what's on it. At the same time, the quality of what's available seems to have gone down. You occasionally find shops where it's still "50p for the big ones, 25p for the little ones", but they're few and far between. 

There's nothing more depressing than wading through a couple of hundred records in a charity shop to find that they're all Mantovani, James Last and Harry Secombe, with not so much as a Carpenters LP to make it edgy and shit.

CD is where the bargains are now.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2017
    boogieman said:
    That's been going on a long time. I started buying records in the late 90s when I found a record player that someone had left behind after a car boot sale. I hit the charity shops around where I lived and would generally spend no more than a pound on a record- usually far less. There was loads of 70s and 80s stuff that was well worth having.

Over time, prices have gone up in a lot of charity shops while taking very little account of the condition or collector value of the record, or the quality of what's on it. At the same time, the quality of what's available seems to have gone down. You occasionally find shops where it's still "50p for the big ones, 25p for the little ones", but they're few and far between. 

There's nothing more depressing than wading through a couple of hundred records in a charity shop to find that they're all Mantovani, James Last and Harry Secombe, with not so much as a Carpenters LP to make it edgy and shit.

CD is where the bargains are now.
    In which case, I'm keeping schtum as to the whereabouts of my favourite chazza; so far I've bagged three Clapton LPs, one Stevie Winwood, one Ry Cooder, and one each of Roxy Music and Weather Report. None more than four quid, most two or three. 

To to be fair, all the others in the vicinity are awful as described.  And seemingly frequented by someone in particular who was a) generous, and b) really quite dangerously obsessed with Shirley Bassey. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    All the bargains are in dvds my way. I picked up a couple of Clapton's Crossroad festival ones, Hendrix at Woodstock and Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts recently. Onleee a pahnd a pop to yooo guvner. 
  • boogieman said:
    All the bargains are in dvds my way. 
    Them too. I really don't like the streaming service model for music (I like physical products, I don't like the fact that artists get 0.00001% of fuck all in royalties and I think that being able to hear all the music in the world means you'll really listen to next to none of it), but for films and TV where I'll probably only ever watch something once then never again, buying a DVD seems a bit pointless. I'm happy to wait for most stuff to come on Netflix. I think a lot of people feel the same way.

• randella said:
    But really it's that last point in @boogieman 's post. I listen to my Google Play subscription all day at work, but putting on a disc means you actually sit back and listen to it. No skipping tracks or winding back to hear a riff again, you listen to the whole album as the artist intended, and the concept of track order and 'sides' starts to mean something again as a result. 

I have to say I've started to enjoy music a lot more again as a result. 
    I guess I never really fully embraced the "shuffle" thing. I could never really get away from the fact that most of the remotely "serious" popular music from the mid-60s to the '90s was made with the album mentality in mind (IMO there's a lot to be said for the time constraints of the 33 1/3 long-playing record). It was supposed to be heard in the context of all the other songs on that record, and someone put thought in to what to include, and in what order.

So even though I do most of my listening on a smartphone I still tend to listen to whole albums from start to finish. Sure, I carry several hundred albums around on an SD card the size of my thumbnail now instead of having one album on a CD walkman all day, but I always thought the shuffle thing was a bad idea for so much of the music I like that I always avoided it.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    The only thing I object to is that so much new vinyl seems to come as a double album, when it's completely unnecessary.

I spend a lot of time scouring Discogs etc for older vinyl that I "missed" first time around but for new material, it's streaming all the way, for me.