Ed Sheeran on Graham Norton Show

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7407
What's with the awful clanky piezo sound?

I guess it's only other guitarists who care, and it's clearly not exactly held him back, but come on...
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72296
    I thought he was pretty good actually. I didn't notice the sound as being particularly awful - I've heard a lot worse, and I'm fairly snobbish about that sort of thing :). He produced quite a full and complex sound for just one guitar and none of the usual trickery, I thought. And I say that as not being a fan - I don't particularly like his songs or his voice, although he seems like a nice enough chap and he became successful after a lot of hard work, as far I understand.

One thing I've noticed is that the studio sound on this show has massively improved recently - it used to be awful even if the performer was good, but now it seems OK even if they're not as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4183
    TimmyO said:
    What's with the awful clanky piezo sound?

I guess it's only other guitarists who care, and it's clearly not exactly held him back, but come on...
    It's no worse than any other piezo from what I can hear, it's just your recent explorations and acquisition have tuned your ears into what acoustic guitars are supposed to sound like :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Graham Norton's always sounded awful and clanky.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Graham Norton looks like a sailor Action Man:

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7407
    <seaman joke> 
    Red ones are better. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The fact that that's as good as piezo acoustic guitars sound is a lot of why I don't like listening to acoustic guitars
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Best thing you have ever posted. Ever. 

And broadly I agree with your take on most things.. ;)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

Best thing you have ever posted. Ever. 

And broadly I agree with your take on most things.. ;)
    Thanks.

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1905
    edited January 2017
    Is it this one?

That sounds no better than your average open mic acoustic guitar sound if you ask me.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Nobody cares how the guitar sounds, they're only listening to the vocals. Damn.
    Nobody cares how the guitar sounds, they're only listening to the vocals. Damn.
    No, I care how the guitar sounds - but I was listening more to what he was playing on it than the actual tone. It also wasn't noticeably worse than the usual amplified piezo undersaddle pickup tone in my opinion, you could just hear it more clearly because it was solo.

A K&K pickup would have sounded better though I think :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• :)
    Is there a link to this video I've missed? 
    FYI I don't mind Ed Sheeran.
    If you go onto Youtube and search 'ed sheeran graham norton' it's 'Castle On The Hill [Live]'.

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited February 2017
    so am lisnin tae this wee prick singin  a'boot - “he was younger then” as if he’s worldly wise an he gets chibed messin aboot wi a sord - an it’s aw’ a laff, ( the chat on the sofa bit) the sound o’ his guitar are the least o’ his worries - fanny
    ok he's a hermaphrodite

• LewyLewy Frets: 4183
    edited February 2017
    I think with things like this, and artists like him, it's more a case that the acoustic guitar is a visual cue - a reassurance that it's OK for him to be playing on his own. Tonally, he may as well be playing a DI'd electric - or in fact just going around the audience pissing directly into people's ears - but either of those things are a bit jarring to the average pop audience -  but they can compute an acoustic guitar in that setting.

Psychologically, it has an implicit back story - of him maybe sitting down and writing that song on an acoustic, or playing it to his gal or whatever - there's nothing acoustic or acoustic sounding about the noise he's making but that's secondary.

• I'll check it out!
  • I fucking hate Ed Sheeran. 

Bet you're all glad you know that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    AliGorie said:
    so am lisnin tae this wee prick singin  a'boot - “he was younger then” as if he’s worldly wise an he gets chibed messin aboot wi a sord - an it’s aw’ a laff, ( the chat on the sofa bit) the sound o’ his guitar are the least o’ his worries - fanny
    ok he's a hermaphrodite

Got that in English?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    axisus said:

Got that in English?
    naw
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, I listened to it. 

I bloody hate when people talk about "tone" but that was pretty naff. 

FYI I also dislike when young folk sing or act like they have this vast life experience. I can't watch films like "Ender's Game" or "Hunger Games" for that sort of reason.