Chalk or milk paint to refinish a guitar? Plan abandoned

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
edited February 2017 in Making & Modding
I saw a load of chalk paint and milk paint in hobbycraft recently, which got me thinking about how cool it would look on a guitar.

I have this bad boy that I was trying to sell but not really getting anywhere so thought maybe do it up a big for my own usage:

http://i.imgur.com/IJjNy8r.jpg

Has anybody done this and would therefore have some tips? My main questions are as follows:

1. Presumably I'd need to strip the red off first and I can't just paint over it?

2. Would I apply said paint with a sponge to get it fairly smoothly applied?

3. How do I seal it? Would spray paint lacquer work?

I didn't get on very well with spray paint cans last time I tried on my kit build, ended up using Wudtone but not a huge fan of the more natural wood-grain showing through type look

Thanks all
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited January 2017
    No idea in what to do for a milk paint finish, but a few of my favourite 'modern' guitar makers use milk paint finishes and IMO they look FANTASTIC.  

Have a look for Island Instruments and Cardinal Instruments for examples of guitars they have done with milk paint finishes.  Some really tasty looking guitars! 
  • Thanks, yes the Island Instruments ones seem quite up my street I think having googled them. I like the shabby chic type look of chalk paint (only seen it on furniture and stuff though) and feel like I should have the painting skill to make something cool out of it
  • Has anybody else tried this that might have some tips or be able to help with the process? 

Am thinking rather than flog this for <£150, I could repaint it, get some nice gold foil pickups in it and try and make it either a keeper or an interesting decor piece if nothing else!

Also quite keen to get that horrible attempt at an Airline logo off the headstock...
  • Actually scratch that, I'm abandoning the project as it makes no economical sense to create a Trigger's Broom when I could get an Eastwood Airline for the same and it'll be a better made and finished instrument
  • I work for a charity that upcycles furniture with chalk paint and it rubs off in my hands when I deliver the stuff.
  • Do they lacquer it though? It doesn't matter now for the guitar as I'm getting rid but I've got some I was going to use on the diy cajon I had for Christmas
  • They paint a bit of wax on top. But it still rubs off.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I did one, but ended up sanding it back and going with a different finish. It just didn't work for me, though I believe others have had good results..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.