Volto v Eneloop v whatever other ones there are

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
edited January 2017 in FX
'Battery' supplies for a small (Nano) analogue board - who is using one?

Are rumours of their limited recharge cycles a thing or not really ? 

And why does it feel better to ask 3 questions rather than just the two? 

p.s. - title edit - why are " < " not allowed in thread titles? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm also intrigued by this. My bass board consists of a tuner and an overdrive that's only used very sparingly so the thought of not needing to plug in at practice (I'd do it at a gig for reliability) is appealing. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Volto is expensive for what it is IMO. The Eneloop is out of production now although Panasonic now owns the brand so fingers crossed it might resurface. I use a Rockboard LT XL for my mini board and it works great.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited January 2017
    I had a Volto under a Pedaltrain Nano+, it was a pain in the arse, battery didn't last long and as it was underneath I had no idea how long was left, plus every now and then it seemed to drop power and the pedals went haywire and sounded shite, requiring the Volto t be turned on and off again. I spent more time worrying about how much power was left than playing.

Replaced it with a Cioks DC5 and was much happier.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    This is a fantastic solution....... I bought one cos I liked the options. Digital display.

ma draw, hours left, percentage left. Rechargeable and tiny. Comes with a single 9v cable and a daisy chain option too.

http://www.bigjoestompboxcompany.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Rockboard has 4 LED's indicating remaining power, and a full charge is plenty to get through an average gig. I've never experienced any dropouts or undesirable behaviour with it.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    I have the Sanyo eneloop pedal juice and it's very good. Totally noise free and lasted about 4 hours powering my whole board including switcher. For a small board it would last ages

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    edited January 2017
    I've used a volto under a Nano for all my gigs last yr. Tc mini tuner, ac+ (or other rotating drive pedal), dd3. Sometimes squeeze a 4th pedal too (phase 90). No issues and works well. Will do 2 gigs between charges, but tend to recharge every time. No power to front of stage is awesome!
  • The Mooer one I have claims 5000 recharges, and I think I have recharged it about 5 times so far (home use only). 
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    I've used 2 sanyo pedal juice envelops under a nano for about 2 years band practice and gigging regularly and never had a problem. I needed 2 because my H9 was going into the amps FX loop and caused a ground loop which I got rid of by having a separate eneloop. Seemed like overkill but it all worked fine. Great not having to look for somewhere to plug in the board and no hum from the pedals from any external source. Recharge when I get home and that's it. Cost me £70 each and then managed to get another 2 for £30 each from DV247 about 6 months ago for spares. Can't speak for the volto but would never go back to mains power for pedalboard again. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    edited January 2017
    Rockboard LT (not XL) here - I have two, one powering the Eventide Time Factor/MIDI controller/MIDI relay box and the other powering everything else (the Eventide doesn't play nicely with...well, anything in the signal path, really). That's easily enough to last over 8 hours.

Oddly, I just got the board finished I don't need either of them now because I'm home-recording-only for the next year or two. If I do go back to live stuff, it'll most likely be with a Helix direct to the PA. What a waste of time that was.
    <space for hire>
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

Check out MyVolts Ripcord - its a USB to 9V cable - so you can use any of the USB battery packs that are available. I have one on order through the kickstarter campaign - should be out soon.

http://performermag.com/best-instruments/best-guitar-picks-accessories/myvolts-ripcord-review/

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    mrkb said:

Check out MyVolts Ripcord - its a USB to 9V cable - so you can use any of the USB battery packs that are available. I have one on order through the kickstarter campaign - should be out soon.

http://performermag.com/best-instruments/best-guitar-picks-accessories/myvolts-ripcord-review/

That looks really nifty, but do I interpret the Kickstarter page right by thinking it was funded, due to deliver last summer, but still hasn't, and they are taking orders and payments direct from their own web page, also with no defined delivery date ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hoopshoops Frets: 223
    I have the Sanyo Eneloop with a small board and I think it's great. 3 gigs before charge up and the freedom of no mains cable.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    TimmyO said:
    That looks really nifty, but do I interpret the Kickstarter page right by thinking it was funded, due to deliver last summer, but still hasn't, and they are taking orders and payments direct from their own web page, also with no defined delivery date ? 

This is what I've gathered also.  If you look at the updates section on the kickstarter page, looks like they've gotten the first samples from their factory now.  Really tempted to order one, or two as a cheap way of getting my small board battery powered.  I think it could also be useful for the pedals that can be plugged into a computer as I'd be able to power them from my usb hub.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

Kickstarter project has been slow - but no worse than other guitar related ones! Issues seem to be down to the chinese supplier not making what the designer wanted. They have got samples made, and ready to manufacture in the next month or so. I'll let you know how it pans out when I get mine, but with USB taking over the world - its taken over from the 12v socket in new car now, and theres loads of PC sockets and portable batteries - having an pedal adaptor that runs off usb will be very handy. 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I've taken a punt - so we shall see :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Me too! 
  • If anyone's interested, I've just decided to sell my pair of Rockboard LTs. One is £35, but the other is £30 because it doesn't power anything when it's being charged. If anyone wants both (eg one for pedals in front of the amp, one for the loop), I'll chuck in a double-socket USB charger.
    <space for hire>
    If anyone's interested, I've just decided to sell my pair of Rockboard LTs. One is £35, but the other is £30 because it doesn't power anything when it's being charged. If anyone wants both (eg one for pedals in front of the amp, one for the loop), I'll chuck in a double-socket USB charger.
    I'll take the 35-er :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    If anyone's interested, I've just decided to sell my pair of Rockboard LTs. ...
    Why the decision to sell? Is it to move on to different batteries, or something else?