Can ugly ducklings become swans?

What's Hot
I've been toying with the idea of buying an acoustic guitar for some time now.  I'm very drawn to the Gibson Dove but I think it's financially out of my league, but basically I'd like to get something quite nice which sounds and plays really nice.  My budget would probably be somewhere between £1-1.5K (but the lower the better).

As some of you may be aware from a thread I posted a while back I have an acoustic already which I've owned for more than 30 years.  A Yamaha FG-335.  This is a very special guitar to me and I will never part with it but it's more or less unplayable these days mainly owing to a ridiculously high action as you move up the fretboard.  

It's special because it came with me all the way on a record breaking bicycle ride (see link for further detail)  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/56877/
however, owing to the journey it took some knocks.  The centre strip on the inside may be coming away from the back (I can hear creaking when I push on small cracks on the back in this area).

My question is this.  Is it possible to "throw money" at this guitar so that it can be turned into a really nicely playing acoustic?  I'd much rather do that than buy something else but is there a limit to how good one can make it?  Will it be limited by being an FG-335 which I think comes into the "not a bad guitar for the price" category or is it better to buy a modern instrument and have this as an ornament?

Thanks for any advice, opinions...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Repair is always a viable option, however, I would suggest looking at guilds (USA made ones) they are in the same league as gibson and Martin, and don't cost the earth, I have had Martin and gibson acoustics, and always come back to Guild,  my 50s f20 is my go to guitar, and it holds its own to anything else I have played (else I wouldn't have kept it for so long) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You'll get a Dove for under £1500 second hand. The was a black one in Coda recently for that - standard-finish ones are worth a little less.

I would say that with the Yamaha, you could throw a lot of money at it and make it structurally sound and play well - which would probably need a neck reset, which is not always easy on old Yamahas - but even then it will always just be an old Yamaha… nice for the money and the original quality, but no more than that in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a Yamaha FG for years and they are perfectly serviceable guitars, but no match for something like a D28.

You could pick up a D28 for £1200 used or if you prefer Gibson, then a J45 is £1500 new and around the 1k mark second hand.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You could pick up a second hand Furch/Stonebridge for around £1k for one of the higher end models.  It will probably be better than any Martin or Gibson you can get for under £1.5k.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Thanks chaps - that's all very helpful.  My sense is that you feel the money would be more wisely spent on a better (musically speaking) instrument.  It's also encouraging to hear you can get really nice guitars at that price.

And some advice from a Wigan'er @BigLicks67 which is always a bonus.  Are the Latics finally on the rise?
  • thebreeze said:
    Thanks chaps - that's all very helpful.  My sense is that you feel the money would be more wisely spent on a better (musically speaking) instrument.  It's also encouraging to hear you can get really nice guitars at that price.

And some advice from a Wigan'er @BigLicks67 which is always a bonus.  Are the Latics finally on the rise?

Nope, I think they are heading for League One, but that's okay because I'm from Bolton originally and hopefully the Wanderers will pass them on their way up to the Championship.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Boooooo   :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I'd go for a pre-owned Martin, Gretsch, Taylor, or Takamine  Much better value than new, played in and thus often nicer sounding. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I would do some structural work yourself just to keep the old yam going.  Doesn't sound like it needs to be perfect

you can get some great results with chair doctor and some powerful magnets or small turnbuckles

then spend the rest of your money on a nice guitar :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    No.

A ducking becomes a duck.
    A cygnet becomes a swan.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom