Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Which is rather fortuitous....I'm much better with my guitar than my dick...allegedly..
    At what?????
    Slinging it over me shoulder...
    I think we can all safely say that applies to all guitarists. ('Cept for me, of course ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Jennifer Batten. That is all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Jennifer Batten. That is all.

That was very cool. Thanks for sharing ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Please don't let anyone's prejudice stop you from playing guitar.

If a woman plays a piano or a violin or a cello that's all seen as perfectly normal, so what is the difference? The guitar is just another instrument.

I actually had a female guitar teacher for a while and I would still be working with her if I had the time to do her lessons justice.

Sheryl Bailey

She kicked my ass! In a supportive but uncompromising kind of a way :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Or Jess Lewis...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    There you go @Blackjack - I think you can safely conclude that we are all 100% supportive.

Ignore this silly girl/boy business and jump straight in here - we are a (mostly) harmless bunch. 

Just don't mention Brexit, Planes on conveyor belts, or @HarrySeven 's guitar collection and you'll be fine...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ignore whichever cavemen you have encountered and do it! Have fun. Oh and maybe check out Susan Tedeschi's playing too
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1272
    edited January 2017
    Sister Rosetta Tharp knew a thing or two about guitar playing. 

Cant imagine many people would have had the nerve to tell her she shouldn't be bothering doing that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Go show a LP up that salesmans nose.....

Have a google of The Iron Maidens, Courtney Cox, Nikki Stringfield, and Nita Strauss (now with Alice Cooper)are all fearsomely good guitarists.
    Also worth having a look at
    Orianthi
    Nilli Brosh
    Jen Magura (currently in Evanescense)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Wow guys!!!!! 
    Thank you so much for so many fabulous and encouraging replies! You are an amazing bunch you really are. 
    The fact that I have boobs instead of balls had never crossed my mind as being relevant really. It's not as if guitar playing requires huge physical strength or anything! 
    I will just write him off as being a bit of a prat that had probably argued with his wife this morning! 
    I will carry on enjoying my playing and making plans for my first open mic this year and ignore the idiot and his comments!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited January 2017
    Also, 'Carter Picking', which is a part of the technique of most modern acoustic guitar players, is named after 'Mother' Maybelle Carter of The Carter Family… although she didn't actually invent it, she did popularise it. Given the later development of country and folk/rock guitar styles which use it at least in part, she must be one of the most influential guitarists.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Blackjack said:
    Wow guys!!!!! 
    Thank you so much for so many fabulous and encouraging replies! You are an amazing bunch you really are. 
    The fact that I have boobs instead of balls had never crossed my mind as being relevant really. It's not as if guitar playing requires huge physical strength or anything! 
    I will just write him off as being a bit of a prat that had probably argued with his wife this morning! 
    I will carry on enjoying my playing and making plans for my first open mic this year and ignore the idiot and his comments!

Boobs might make a difference with comfort on a big acoustic I guess - other than that just ignore the tool in the guitar shop. There's some very knowledgable and talented guys replied to this thread so far. Get practising!

And feel free to ask any stupid questions you like here - it seems to be the norm ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Some guitar shops are just staffed by idiots, your gender will be pale into insignificance next to their arrogance; others will blow you away with their welcome and interest in keeping your passion for the instrument alive. Just walk away, vow never to use them again and don't take it personally.

The desire to make any guitar scream just shows you are passionate about this instrument, keep playing, enjoy it and sod anybody that suggests otherwise. But do please above all, never fail to slap men like that down and to put them in their place -they give the rest of us a bad rep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited January 2017
    Blackjack said:

I am a pretty much 'no nothing beginner' who is trying hard to improve.

I was talking on the phone earlier to a guitar shop (not my usual one) who was very offhand and made several very caustic comments about 'women that think they can play guitar'. Sadly I have come across this attitude more than once too.  I know I probably need to toughen up and grow a pair but to be honest I found it all quite upsetting and a big knock to my already low confidence.  I was very honest with the guy on the phone, I didn't come across as if I was Erica Clapton, Davina Gilmour or any other female alter ego! 

So chaps, honesty time please before I make a total prat of myself again, is it wrong as a fat middle aged woman to be wanting to play guitar?  Not just strumming along to a little folk song or something as a lot of female guitarists seem content with (not that there is anything wrong in that) but wanting to be able to make my beloved Les Paul shout, sing or cry one of these days. I have a collection of guitars way above my needs or ability in reality but I love them! My two 'go to' ones are my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and my Taylor acoustic.

So folks, lady guitarists - Yay or Nay!!   Or any thoughts or opinions on the subject - I know it's probably a contentious one.
    about being a beginner - everyone, male & female, begins life unable to feed or toilet themselves, speak or walk or play guitar.

about shop being rude - there are a lot of men and women who fancy theselves at being able to play better than they actually do, but the business of a shop is to sell kit, not to judge other people. try another member of staff, or try another shop. don't take it to heart. play to please yourself not others. if what you play to please yourself pleases others, let them listen.

as for body size - black francis from the pixies was huge and his legend always bigger still. it's not a barrier to being a good musician.

age is a state of mind. music at a 'pop' level is youth fixated, but that is about 1% of 1% of 1% of all the people in the world who make music. you're the youngest now you will ever be so make the most of it.

don't agonise about gear. a good player with an affinity strat will always sound better than a crap player with a custom shop. find something you feel comfortable playing within your budget and play it.

there are so many great female musicians (including guitarists), too many to list and to start listing according to gender is to get away from one of the greatest things about music anyway, that it is genderless as an art. sound has no gender. when you hear a song (without seeing the artist) you have no idea (vocals aside) whether it is a male or female playing.
    dragging gender into the whole thing is pointless. it's a division that need not apply, so don't apply it.

long story short, ignore the haters and stay focused on doing your thing. you only live once.

hear gemma thompson of the savages.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Some guitar shops are just staffed by idiots, your gender will be pale into insignificance next to their arrogance
    But do please above all, never fail to slap men like that down and to put them in their place -they give the rest of us a bad rep!
    Amen.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Blackjack said:
    Wow guys!!!!! 

Boobs might make a difference with comfort on a big acoustic I guess - other than that just ignore the tool in the guitar shop. There's some very knowledgable and talented guys replied to this thread so far. Get practising!

And feel free to ask any stupid questions you like here - it seems to be the norm ;)
    Thank you!!! I am the queen of stupid questions but hey, it's how you learn isn't it by asking. 

My Taylor is a dreadnought body but it's curves and mine fit together quite well but I did struggle with some when I tried them! Hahaha
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:
    Wow guys!!!!! 

Thank you!!! I am the queen of stupid questions but hey, it's how you learn isn't it by asking. 

My Taylor is a dreadnought body but it's curves and mine fit together quite well but I did struggle with some when I tried them! Hahaha
    You'll fit in just fine here ;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Blackjack said:

I will just write him off as being a bit of a prat that had probably argued with his right hand this morning! 

Fixed for accuracy.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom