Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• Sister Rosetta Tharpe is the one for me. More soul than 99% of the male guitarists combined
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Just to add another youtube link, heres a fantastic video of a young girl playing alongside Nuno and the rest of Extreme.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    edited January 2017
    I played in a band for several years with a female singer and guitarist (acoustic fingerstyle) who was pretty bloody good at both, and a good songwriter to boot. She frequently had tales of similar things happening to her in guitar shops, although none quite so blatant. She'd have torn the guy a new one.

Most of the funniest stories came from the time she bought the Taylor guitar she gigged with. The guy at PMT Birmingham had all sorts of useful advice about what guitar shapes wouldn't get in the way of her "lady lumps". Yes, he said "lady lumps". No, as far as I know he wasn't a member of the Black Eyed Peas.

So yeah, chalk this up as another "that guy was a twat, female musicians are OK in my book".

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of using "twat" as an insult while supporting female musicians. 

I quite enjoyed listening to this series of podcasts by Laura Marling recently (another excellent female songwriter and guitarist) about the experiences of women in the music industry, including a few guitar shop showdowns. You might too.

http://www.reversalofthemuse.com/

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    @Blackjack So sorry to hear about your experience. You can do whatever you put your mind to. Fuck the naysayers =)

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

OMG...a Woman on the forum! ;)

In all seriousness though, I can only echo what others have said already. What a complete bell-end for giving you a hard time.

Hope your guitar journey is a good one. All the best.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Blackjack said:
     is it wrong as a fat middle aged woman to be wanting to play guitar?  Not just strumming along to a little folk song or something as a lot of female guitarists seem content with (not that there is anything wrong in that) but wanting to be able to make my beloved Les Paul shout, sing or cry one of these days. I have a collection of guitars way above my needs or ability in reality but I love them! My two 'go to' ones are my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and my Taylor acoustic.
    Course not - you're never too old old to rock 'n roll!   Middle aged?  Pah! You're a young babe in arms - have a listen to these rockin' septagenarians:

And for Chet Atkin lovers, I wish I could play like this!

And let's not forget Sister Rosetta Tharpe:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Has anyone mentioned Chantel McGregor yet? 

Went to see her a few months ago and she was very impressive indeed.
    just this, went to see her last year as she was playing 5 minutes from my house ( Bingley ) i thought she was great
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Nobody mentioned 40 Million record selling Adele - she's no slouch on guitar & bass.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Nikko said:

OMG...a Woman on the forum! ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Voxman that Chet Atkins woman has serious skills, it takes a load of work to be able to play those tunes.

• Both my parents are mid-late 50's and gig more than I do.

I used to play drums with them in this prog-rock covers band - we had a female guitarist, also mid-50s, who was better than most men I'd seen on the circuit:

http://www.bandmix.co.uk/twosuns/

My Mum also does solo gigs on her own after picking up the guitar a few years ago - it is Joni Mitchell influenced but still, she's doing it! She goes out with her own band and on her own:

https://soundcloud.com/elaine-walker-1

So basically people are already doing it - get involved! And there's the added juice that some blokes will hate that you'll be better than them! ;)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    One of my faves and probably one of the best guitarist in the world :

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No one gender, orientation, race or religion hold a devine right over anything in this world - guitar included. Play, be happy and enjoy it in the knowledge that you're no small minded fool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    No one gender, orientation, race or religion hold a devine right over anything in this world - guitar included. Play, be happy and enjoy it in the knowledge that you're no small minded fool.

But you clearly don't have the divine right over spelling :)
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No one gender, orientation, race or religion hold a devine right over anything in this world - guitar included. Play, be happy and enjoy it in the knowledge that you're no small minded fool.

But you clearly don't have the divine right over spelling

Devine...divine. Potato potato...and clearly you have a divine right over being an arse
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Joanna Connor too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    No one gender, orientation, race or religion hold a devine right over anything in this world - guitar included. Play, be happy and enjoy it in the knowledge that you're no small minded fool.

But you clearly don't have the divine right over spelling

Devine...divine. Potato potato...and clearly you have a divine right over being an arse
    https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/01/23/IMG_1021.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Jennifer Turner.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Slightly derailing the thread, but I suspect that the female gender does actually have a (?divine) right over pregnancy and birth. But what do I know, Im only a bloke :)

Also, I imagine that there are many religions that do have a divine right over certain things, well at least pertaining to their own religion in their own divinity.

But I digress.

Lots of very interesting YT clips on here - will keep me busy for a while.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom